Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    What are you basing your statement on?
    Hi,
    I really appreciate all of the input. This has been/continues to be a learning experience for me.I knew nothing about the HVAC process and have just trusted the installer-but look where its got me!
    Anyway, when the coil was replaced, as well as the several times the compressor was replaced, he assured me he flushed the lines and took every precaution.Obviously that cannot be right since there have been so many problems. That I know of no copper lines were replaced.
    Is it too late to take precautions for the new condensing unit installed 2 months ago? Should I have him come out and re-check the system for acid? Should I insist that a suction line dryer be put on for 72 hours and then re-checked to see if that needs to be repeated? Just want to know where to go from here...
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    facts and experience.

if a suction drier has no pressure difference across it then it can stay in the system.
    if the drier has a 3 or more psi difference then its time to replace the drier.
    the whole 72 hours is BS. a lot of techs dont know how to check them, so if manufacturers say no more then 72 hours then there may be a chance it might get replaced.

we use a lot of core driers.
    You might want to check you facts. There is not a single compressor manufacturer or filter manufacturer that promotes or condones leaving an acid core dryer in a system when used as a clean up measure. As the concentration of acid is adsorbed inside the filter dryer it will deteriorate the retaining sieves inside allowing the filter to separate.

Now a suction line dryer that is installed in a new system can remain in the system indefinitely unless there is a pressure drop shown across it.

Quote Originally Posted by plea5ehelp View Post
    Hi,
    I really appreciate all of the input. This has been/continues to be a learning experience for me.I knew nothing about the HVAC process and have just trusted the installer-but look where its got me!
    Anyway, when the coil was replaced, as well as the several times the compressor was replaced, he assured me he flushed the lines and took every precaution.Obviously that cannot be right since there have been so many problems. That I know of no copper lines were replaced.
    Is it too late to take precautions for the new condensing unit installed 2 months ago? Should I have him come out and re-check the system for acid? Should I insist that a suction line dryer be put on for 72 hours and then re-checked to see if that needs to be repeated? Just want to know where to go from here...
    thanks
    Have them do an acid test on the refrigerant to determine if it is indeed acidic.

By removing the entire condenser and replacing it and the indoor coil you have removed the majority of the contaminants, and if the lines where flushed it is probably fine, but an acid test is the only way to verify. When they do the acid test ask them for performance data on the system; pressures, temperatures, voltage, line size and length etc.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Have them do an acid test on the refrigerant to determine if it is indeed acidic.

By removing the entire condenser and replacing it and the indoor coil you have removed the majority of the contaminants, and if the lines where flushed it is probably fine, but an acid test is the only way to verify. When they do the acid test ask them for performance data on the system; pressures, temperatures, voltage, line size and length etc.
    Sounds like a plan. Of course, I have no idea how to interpret the data, or even the acid test. If the system tests acidic, do they then put on the suction drier? Does anything need to be done with the line drier he said he installed?
    thanks

I must agree...... if there is no pressure drop dont worry about it. I rarely use a suction drier...... not sure why..... just dont like them
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Should I insist that a suction line dryer be put on for 72 hours and then re-checked to see if that needs to be repeated?
    Not for free.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Sounds like a plan. Of course, I have no idea how to interpret the data, or even the acid test. If the system tests acidic, do they then put on the suction drier? Does anything need to be done with the line drier he said he installed?
    thanks
    If it is acidic then the suction line acid core dryer should be installed, acid level retested after after 24 hours of run time and if clean remove dryer, if not repeat.

Chances are good that it will be negative since every thing except the refrigerant lines has been removed. The service data can be posted here to help determine if there is another issue that was killing the compressors such as air flow, kinked or restricted refrigerant line etc.

I personally don't leave them in "permanently" down here close to the Gulf, because they will rust and start leaking in less than 2 years.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I personally don't leave them in "permanently" down here close to the Gulf, because they will rust and start leaking in less than 2 years.
    Do you leave in the line drier? It is outside between the condensing unit and the house, welded in?
    thanks,

Do you leave in the line drier? It is outside between the condensing unit and the house, welded in?
    thanks,
    The liquid line stays in permanently once the acid is removed, and it probably is at this point.

thanks,
    Liquid line drier is fine, and should stay put, the only reason the suction needs to come out "down here in Houston" it condensates all the time, or stays wet, and it will rust quick close to the salt water.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12