Laugh or cry....

Please note: I am a Christian, have deep appreciation of history and this hits close to home since I came here from a country where separatists burned down many churches and monasteries that had artwork from the turn of the last millennium.. But you need to laugh to cope with this, especially knowing the circumstances..

Abbreviated Cliff's notes: If you start a job and it starts looking like excrement, stop it! Call a professional!

Cliff's notes: An old lady (old enough to be caring for a sick 60yrold son) in Spain decided to restore a faded old fresco.. The results speak for themselves It can't be fixed.

http://www.latercera.com/noticia/cul...cce-homo.shtml

This has to be a joke.

Somtimes better to just leave something alone if you can't afford to hire professionals. There's a reason a fresco takes weeks or months and tens of thousands of dollars to restore correctly. Very sad.

As hte owner of a older home, you have ot think twice when doing most projects. I'd love to fully restore all my windows, but for now, new storms are getting the job done and nothing is rotting or failing other than a dozen or so broken sash cords. Some day I'll shell out $15k or so and have a pro come in a do it. Maybe upgrade the glass itself on the front windows and remove the storms there, then just strore the zinc weather stripping, strip, repaint and reglaze the rest.

I'm suprised you can't remove the new paint and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    This has to be a joke.

Somtimes better to just leave something alone if you can't afford to hire professionals. There's a reason a fresco takes weeks or months and tens of thousands of dollars to restore correctly. Very sad.

As hte owner of a older home, you have ot think twice when doing most projects. I'd love to fully restore all my windows, but for now, new storms are getting the job done and nothing is rotting or failing other than a dozen or so broken sash cords. Some day I'll shell out $15k or so and have a pro come in a do it. Maybe upgrade the glass itself on the front windows and remove the storms there, then just strore the zinc weather stripping, strip, repaint and reglaze the rest.

I'm suprised you can't remove the new paint and start over.
    Unfortunately, it is not a joke. Other articles indicated that she has had some experience in assisting restoration professionals in touching up the clothing but she never worked on facial features. In one of her more recent interviews, she stated "I am sorry for what I have done but they should really allow me to correct my mistake by finishing the work" - I'd be inclined to let her, she can't do much more harm By the way, it has to do with the prep-work done before the fresco was painted that is making it impossible to correct the errors now. I'm just passing on some info based on my limited understanding of Spanish, so my understanding isn't complete.