Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 29
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    EVERYWHERE
    Posts
    229
    Yes oil samples do more but a in screw there is no need to look for metal wear like you need in a centrifugal. Also any acid is bad and needs to be fixed asap. A oil sample on a RTAC is a waste of time and money especially if you use a plastic bottle.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mixing oil and fire with a big spoon.
    Posts
    4,487
    Quote Originally Posted by FixItRight View Post
    Yes oil samples do more but a in screw there is no need to look for metal wear like you need in a centrifugal. Also any acid is bad and needs to be fixed asap. A oil sample on a RTAC is a waste of time and money especially if you use a plastic bottle.
    why wouldn't you need to look for wear metals in a screw? it is a mechanical piece of equipment just like a recip, scroll or centrifugal. as for the acid, 'any' is not a number that can be trended over time...sure, lower is better but what is lower? i have sampled many RTAC's (among others like it) using plastic bottles and found that the moisture pull through is not significant if you ship it within a day or two.
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    ottawa canada
    Posts
    2,093
    Oil samples from high pressure chilers are pointless . The machine sits at a positive pressure , its not like a centravac where if it has leaks air gets in and moisture which create acids .The only reason for acids to develop in high pressure chillers is bad service practices and equipment failures (burnouts).
    Also the oil charge (particularly on Tranes) is critical they are cut to the bone for unit efficiency .
    So if you take half a dozen oil samples you have significantly reduced the oil charge .
    Ok so add some more oil you say (you just diluted your readings and risked letting in moisture ) see my point ?
    If you insist on taking them they should either be in glass bottles or shipped within 24hrs .
    The only time I would take an oil sample from a high pressure machine would be . If the customer insisted it be taken, if the chiller suffered some kind of failure or if we took over another machine from another contractor where the chiller had had problems and refrigerant removal etc .
    If you take an oil sample lets say for the sake of argument out of a 200ton screw machine . it comes back with elevated metals . Do you really and honestly believe the customer will say .Ok open it up and fix it , or sure I know its running well but slap a new 25K compressor on it anyway just to be safe ???? Lets get real here!!
    Penny to a pinch of S%$# there going to say "when it croaks we'll fix it or buy a new one ".
    Now I know your all going to say well we covered our ass and told the customer it was an issue so they cant come back at you . And to a point your right , but do you also think if you didnt take a sample and it croaked the story would be any different ?JMHO
    The toy chest is officially full ... I got a new toy..... 2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
    You bend em" I"ll mend em" !!!!!!!
    I"m not a service tech.. I"m a thermodynamic transfer analyst & strategic system sustainability specialist
    Best Austin Healey In Show twice in 2013 .....All those hrs paid off .

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Healey Nut View Post
    Oil samples from high pressure chilers are pointless . The machine sits at a positive pressure , its not like a centravac where if it has leaks air gets in and moisture which create acids .The only reason for acids to develop in high pressure chillers is bad service practices and equipment failures (burnouts).
    Also the oil charge (particularly on Tranes) is critical they are cut to the bone for unit efficiency .
    So if you take half a dozen oil samples you have significantly reduced the oil charge .
    Ok so add some more oil you say (you just diluted your readings and risked letting in moisture ) see my point ?
    If you insist on taking them they should either be in glass bottles or shipped within 24hrs .
    The only time I would take an oil sample from a high pressure machine would be . If the customer insisted it be taken, if the chiller suffered some kind of failure or if we took over another machine from another contractor where the chiller had had problems and refrigerant removal etc .
    If you take an oil sample lets say for the sake of argument out of a 200ton screw machine . it comes back with elevated metals . Do you really and honestly believe the customer will say .Ok open it up and fix it , or sure I know its running well but slap a new 25K compressor on it anyway just to be safe ???? Lets get real here!!
    Penny to a pinch of S%$# there going to say "when it croaks we'll fix it or buy a new one ".
    Now I know your all going to say well we covered our ass and told the customer it was an issue so they cant come back at you . And to a point your right , but do you also think if you didnt take a sample and it croaked the story would be any different ?JMHO
    I'm with Healey and FixIt here. Oil analysis on a P.M. basis for air cooled screw compressors that are more or less disposable is a waste of time. The info you get from an oil analysis can be useful in the event that you suspect a problem. With POE oils, there's a high risk of moisture contamination before it even reaches the lab unless you use a glass sample bottle. We stopped doing regular oil samples on air cooled machines a while ago and opted to go with a simple acid test.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

    -Thomas Jefferson

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mixing oil and fire with a big spoon.
    Posts
    4,487
    i recommend oil samples on everything except scrolls...they are vaulable on scrolls, but like graham said, after a few oil samples, you have to add oil and then start the trending over because it is diluted...they really hold only a little bit of oil although they are getting bigger and the bigger tandem units hold more than their screw counter parts...so I may change my stance on scrolls in the near future.

    the oil analysis provides too much information for so little a cost to ingnore in my opinion.
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    A land down under
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    i recommend oil samples on everything except scrolls...they are vaulable on scrolls, but like graham said, after a few oil samples, you have to add oil and then start the trending over because it is diluted...they really hold only a little bit of oil although they are getting bigger and the bigger tandem units hold more than their screw counter parts...so I may change my stance on scrolls in the near future.

    the oil analysis provides too much information for so little a cost to ingnore in my opinion.
    Same recomendations from down here, reckon it is in the customers interest to be proactive not reactive with maintenance.

    For Trane products we were air-freighting plastic bottle POE oil samples into Charlotte and had no major issues with moisture.
    Necessity is the mother of invention

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    259
    The only time we take an oil sample from a screw chiller is when we do an R'Newal. It is required by the factory. They also want a refrigerant sample.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Prattville, Alabama
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post

    the oil analysis provides too much information for so little a cost to ingnore in my opinion.
    True. But, as Healey Nut said, just what can (or will) be done with that information? If there is no backup chiller, AND it is a critical application, AND the customer says he would spend the money, based on oil sample results, then I can see taking oil samples. I have yet to come across a site, with RTAC's, that meets those conditions. I would be very surprised to see a customer actually spend that kind of money based on a test, while the chiller is still running.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas ,Texas
    Posts
    3,724
    Maybe start budgeting for a future failure.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    6,966
    any megger reading history on that chiller especially after a cycle
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mixing oil and fire with a big spoon.
    Posts
    4,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    True. But, as Healey Nut said, just what can (or will) be done with that information? If there is no backup chiller, AND it is a critical application, AND the customer says he would spend the money, based on oil sample results, then I can see taking oil samples. I have yet to come across a site, with RTAC's, that meets those conditions. I would be very surprised to see a customer actually spend that kind of money based on a test, while the chiller is still running.
    lots can be done with the information. why log a chiller? why meg a chiller? why lube a motor? should we wait until all parts break before we fix anything?

    i prefer to view myself as the waiter in a restaraunt...i am not to decide how the customer spends his money, but i know they won't do anything if it isn't on the menu. perhaps you are leaving some money (and profitable work) on the table.
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    EVERYWHERE
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    lots can be done with the information. why log a chiller? why meg a chiller? why lube a motor? should we wait until all parts break before we fix anything?

    i prefer to view myself as the waiter in a restaraunt...i am not to decide how the customer spends his money, but i know they won't do anything if it isn't on the menu. perhaps you are leaving some money (and profitable work) on the table.
    why lube a motor? That is funny if you think that an oil sample is as important as lubing a motor. If you don't lube a motor it will fail but a oil sample is just a test. Also there is a high chance of contamination from moisture with POE.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Prattville, Alabama
    Posts
    2,119
    Jay, I'm just gonna presume you're being facetious asking those questions. I just want to make sure this doesn't sink into some kind of argument. I think this is one of those things that are best left to a judgement call made on site on each individual piece of equipment, and application. Of course, keeping in mind such things as what has customer bought? What is customer expecting? etc... But I am curious - have you, or anyone, replaced a functioning compressor on a RTAC based on oil sample results? What about based on megger results?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event