RTAC excessive comm loss

I have a 2005 RTAC locking out on excessive icp comm loss. Its also showing comm loss on just about every LLID at some time or another. I went to it today after a heavy rain and found water in the wires between LLIDs and dc power supply. The jacket on this section of wires has gotten brittle from sun exposure and is gone in a few places. I am pretty sure this is the source of my comm loss. Should I replace all the wires between all LLIDs and all the butterfly connectors? Or is it normal practice to just replace the section with obvious damage? Chiller shut down when I touched the very first section of wiring at the first bend (zip tied to chassis). I am trying to decide if I could get by with a new wire from power supply to first connector. I have never done this repair so any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Do yourself a favor and replace/upgrade from the flat wire and butterfly connections to the round wire and plugs. I have done 3 rtacs now, 1 had been rewired twice before converting and had issues again.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    Do yourself a favor and replace/upgrade from the flat wire and butterfly connections to the round wire and plugs. I have done 3 rtacs now, 1 had been rewired twice before converting and had issues again.
    I strongly agree! If you open a thread about this in the Pro Chillers Forum, I will post the service bulletin that lists all the part numbers for the new cabling system with plugs.

Ok. Replaced all wiring and connectors Friday. Chiller just went down again. Excessive comm loss. My boss had me replace wires with oem type ribbon cable. I could not get them to let me do the upgrade. I am at a loss of what to do now. I can reset it and it will run fine a few days. I did look at binding view, lit all LEDs, and did the "magnet test" to make LEDs brighter for a second. Could it still be the ribbon wires? If I can get my boss to let me do upgrade now, will all sensors need to be replaced as well?

Tell your boss this, they didi away with the ribbon cable for a reason. You could spend days trying to find/fix the flaw, only to have it fail again. Do the repair right.

Will I have to replace sensors too?

I wonder if the power supply board could be going bad. I have a hard time condeming something that I can't get to act up.

Replace all sensors, hard wire the LL sensor and EXV.

The power supply mod make power never will act up, it works or dont. Your problem lies in connections or short in wire on chassis. Option 1 chase down and cut and splice and repair to buy time and as well as waste time and money on call backs and downtime.

Or 2 do it right the first time and walk away with confidence

Agree with Soutern Tech.
    Going the extra mile and getting it done is always the right thing to do. You don't want to keep coming back on same problem losing money and customer confidence in your company

Follow the advice I gave you in the pro forum in the post where I attached the service bullitin.

You can lead a horse to water, but cant make him drink.

I gave part numbers to my boss this morning

Took dynaview apart and found a lot of corrosion on the two circuit boards inside. Replaced ch530 and it hasn't missed a beat since. This has been very educational for me. I appreciate all the good advice. As for as the wiring goes, I agree the correct way to repair it would have been to go with the round cable. I don't get to make those decisions though. I can only make suggestions. I am positive the current ribbon cable will give me trouble in the future. I will insist it is upgraded at that time. Job secutity I guess.