Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The fact that you find residential HVAC "easy" compared to other aspects of the trade, in and of itself, demonstrates that you are nowhere near ready to start a HVAC business.....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Failure is one step closer to succeding. Who knows how many times it will take but one day you will be successful if you keep at it and don't maim yourself or others in the proccess.
    I agree, don't be afraid of failure. I have seen some big companies fail. Yes, your green so just remeber that education is a life long commitment and keep you overhead LOW.

P.S. oh yeah, don't be cheap with the insurance, make sure you have a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    make sure you have some good insurance , because with this pompous attitude you're definately going to need it when you ruin someones system , or burn their house down , and they sue you ....
    Fact is, in Jersey, he wont be able to get good insurance without being in the field for at least 5 years. Most companies wont insure someone who doesnt know their s**t because theyre too big a liability.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

The insurance company also said in NJ the law is you must have workman's compensation insurance even if you have no employees

My advice as someone who has started and run several businesses is not to underestimate the start-up costs. Experience comes through time. You may need a part-time job to help cover day-to-day costs while you get your main business up and running. Reinvest all of your billing into the company and hire a book keeper or an accountant. It is my opinion that the repairs are the easy part, running the books is the hard part. It is easy to confuse covering expenses with actually making money. I have found the challenges with starting an HVAC business similar to other businesses. It is easy to find negativity.

I had a friend do that when we both got our G2 Gas ticket. He lasted 3 years before he had to sell everything. He now doesn't even wanna look at HVAC equipment cause he feels like a failure. All that time and money wasted now he is starting a new career at a time he should be comfortable in his first career. He went to big to fast. Crashed and burned.

I hope you make it but odds are stacked against you. This lil company's you see and you think I am better then them I could provide better services. Those guys all work illegal no lic insurance etc. Thats how they make it not the same over head and a legit guy

My business that is doomed to fail is still above water. I'm fully insured and have one van and awaiting my contractors liscence. It is very slow getting customers but not in a hurry because I'm being subcontracted now 3-4 days a week with a good company. I am starting to market myself and get the word of mouth out about my business.

I didn't have a problem getting insurance. One mil liability.

Quote Originally Posted by DLZ Dan View Post
    Fact is, in Jersey, he wont be able to get good insurance without being in the field for at least 5 years. Most companies wont insure someone who doesnt know their s**t because theyre too big a liability.
    I didn't have a problem getting insurance. One mil liability.

At what cost?
    Its illegal to deny someone insurance just give an unseen amount

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    At what cost?
    Its illegal to deny someone insurance just give an unseen amount
    Speaking of that my brother has a record that includes 2 fleeing and lootings, he has a 2003 mustang cobra and one quote for 3 months of ins was like 20 grand lol.

What is this "fleeing and looting" you speak of?

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    Hace Frio,

Chin up mate, I understand the frustration of trying to break into this trade with no connections. I too seriously considered hanging out my own shingle when pounding the pavement and getting rejections left right and centre. Hell I would love to start up my own shop but I'm nowhere near ready.
    Make the best of this experience but be honest with yourself and your earnings. You might knock out a few easy repairs a day bringing several hundred dollars a time. but after materials, parts, equipment, 1099 or taxes, fuel, book keeping (once you have more customers), marketing, insurance...etc etc
    You will be disappointed at how little you've actually made. A lot of guys bumble through business and use "fuzzy logic" or "feel" like they are doing okay or making some money.
    Sad fact is these guys never drill down to their true costs and work a plan to maintain net profit.

Keep looking for a good company to get on board with whilst doing what your doing. Being part of a good hvac business will teach you so much more than just technical stuff.

Best of luck

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast