Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    "school doesn't teach you 1/100th of what you need to know to be a good mechanic" (taken from another thread)

Someone, someday will disprove this pervading theory

Quote Originally Posted by Hace Frio View Post
    "school doesn't teach you 1/100th of what you need to know to be a good mechanic" (taken from another thread)

That will not be happening anytime soon!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

I would say you'll be happier looking for one job and getting some experience, even if you have to move, than starting your own business and looking for work every day.

If still unemployed, I might wait until next spring to start the company and get contracted with an insurance/warranty company who will get me customers and my reputation will be on me.

And that would be your first mistake for your new business. Sorry
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Take it from someone who went to school in NJ (like You), Tried to get a job several times in NJ (like you), after working for several years became an HVAC instructor and then started my own business........

School does only teach you a fraction of what you will run into. If i was to teach you everything you may run into in the field and have you absorb it in a classroom setting, you would be in my class alone for 2 years and we would still miss a lot.

Starting a business in this (or any) state is rough. You are expected to know everything because you have put yourself out there as someone's knight in shining armor and if you fail, if someone loses faith in you, they will be quick to spread the word and you'll be done quicker than you started.

If you werent all the way at the other end of 287, i would let you ride along for a week and then you can decide if you got what it takes to run your own show.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

If still unemployed, I might wait until next spring to start the company and get contracted with an insurance/warranty company who will get me customers and my reputation will be on me.
    Home warranty companies are terrible to work with. They don't want to pay the rates you have to get to keep your head above water. DO NOT DO IT, for your own sake.

I have drove around two months this summer 12-15 hour days next to an owner who worked for a warranty company and do find it very challenging with many problems on top of problems. I know the mess of dealing with warranty companies. How else will I take off the business? Word of mouth takes a while

It's not a theory...it's a fact.

Maybe you guys are talking commercial service but for residential service come on... You go there find the leak , evacuate , fix leak , charge system , change a capacitor or control board.. changeout a compressor here and there. Make sure the electric is juiced where it should be. They teach you in school all that basic stuff. I don't plan on doing big jobs just basic residential service.

another know it all out of school.

Why did you go to school to learn a trade you obviously don't respect.

I don't know about NJ but in SC you can't get a SC LLR Mechanical License without having the qualifications (3 years experience is just one). Besides that, anyone who has done this knows how long it takes to make a Profit. Can you survive for a year without a salary? In some cases it's longer. Fresh out of School, you're at best a Hack without working under someone else. I can direct you to someone here who comes here daily with things they don't know for people to help them with. An EPA license might qualify you for a "Professional" here but not in the field.

Good luck.

Maybe you guys are talking commercial service but for residential service come on... You go there find the leak , evacuate , fix leak , charge system , change a capacitor or control board.. changeout a compressor here and there. Make sure the electric is juiced where it should be. They teach you in school all that basic stuff. I don't plan on doing big jobs just basic residential service.
    You have a couple things out of order there. 1. Find the Leak. 2. Pull the Charge (or pump it down). 3. Nitrogen purge. 4. Repair the leak. 5.Change the dryer. 6. Pressure test w/Nitrogen. 7. Pull a vacuum. Yea, just "Basic Stuff". You only need about 3 to 5K in tools just for the "Basic Stuff".

So easy even a Cave Man can do it, huh? Go change your first reversing valve and tell us about how it went, or even easier change a TXV and come back.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast