+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ever seen a recent grad start his own business?

Post Likes
    oh my wo made butt head remarks.........
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Its in regards to the original poster. He doesn't sound too concerned about lawsuits. We all gotta do what we gotta do but lets take the proper steps first .

Post Likes
    Do you know how to make metal? Condensers aren't very complicated to change out, but coil/furnace/AH is another story. I have seen simple coil change outs that turn into a PITA and require some tricky metal work, suppose you could always pay some one else to make it for you

I took an online course, which I'm well aware is not as good as hands on. What I came away with was a good strong understanding of the theory of air conditioning. How electricity works, heat transfer, what the components are of an air conditioning system, what they do, and how they work. I've only been in this field for 6 months, and with one company, and what I've found so far is there are quite a few guys with a good amount of experience, who have only moderate, to little, to no knowledge when it comes to the conceptual physics of air conditioning, or just the refrigeration cycle in general. Now when it came down to actually knowing how to do something on an AC system, I came in knowing Jack Spit. Even though I've learned a lot over six months, I still feel as though I am just scratching the surface. Just learning how to be a good tech is enough to keep your hands full, but there is also installation and sheet metal, and being able to be a good sales man as well. There is a lot of depth to this field. IMO... any one who is serious about this career should start at the bottom and work their way up, in order to become a solid well rounded technician. JUST SAYIN"!

Post Likes
    No,, But im rooting 4 U.

I do know u can get a tax id in 15 minutes online since that hated president took office. Cut out that red tape. No need for legal zoom that much or we the people franchises.
    And in 2014 U wont have to take most of your Bankroll and spend on health care for your First 50 employees. So there is a chance more than ever. Go with a original name and get quickBooks Online. And when it concerns insurance ask about Bplus ratings U will save Big. Dont lock yourself into anything U see on TV. 9 out of ten times U will be paying for that commercial. qb - is an exception but dont buy do the 12 monthly online.
    Goog docs will be your reception in beginning and gmail will be your memory/.
    Green grease works very well, I opose but it's the Norm
    R Perot

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hace Frio View Post
    Maybe you guys are talking commercial service but for residential service come on... You go there find the leak , evacuate , fix leak , charge system , change a capacitor or control board.. changeout a compressor here and there. Make sure the electric is juiced where it should be. They teach you in school all that basic stuff. I don't plan on doing big jobs just basic residential service.
    And what happens when you get to a call that has none of the issues above such as ducting and airflow problems? I doubt that was covered in depth in your first year of schooling. I know my first year of school did not go very deep in to measuring and analysing these problems, never mind solving them.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Hace frío hoy means that it's cold today. If a person is cold, the verb is tener, and if it's the weather, it's hacer.

Change the name ASAP,, and start Fresh with your Internet fingerprint george,, formally worked for AirP????? And with your sub rate 1?5 U will definitly Not make it. U will make another contractor Rich with that rate and maybe u can help him also build an extension to his garage u know for that new car.
    Google is sponsoring buses to take people to Volunteer in Staten Island all week great opurtunity not four Sales but to mingle with Many other contractors,, they will respect U right off the back, But don't go solely for that reason if it's not in your heart thats whole different thread. I have an insurance guy when your ready,, Fyi your looking over 12 thou for Umbrella Policy,, but with that U can work in google ,, wall street Calvin etc:::I know it's expensive but think how much Gas u will save. Service calls can literally be back to back with in a four block range. worst comes to worst a whole 2 miles North

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hace Frio View Post
    3 NO
    0 Yes
    0 Dares
    You get a YES here.
    Keep the faith. I was 19 out of tech school, universal EPA, couldn't get a job with any company....Did my first job ever on my own (well my dad an electrician give me a hand) installing 2 3ton split. I invested all my profits in my 1st vacuum pump, B-tank, Torch set, and can of R-22.I did a few more service pull window units check boilers ect. then I relocate to NYC where there is no shortage of work, learned the trade and opened-up shop. If you truly want to be Independent the door is always open just do right by the customers and that door stays open.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by keviekev70 View Post
    You get a YES here.
    Keep the faith. I was 19 out of tech school, universal EPA, couldn't get a job with any company....Did my first job ever on my own (well my dad an electrician give me a hand) installing 2 3ton split. I invested all my profits in my 1st vacuum pump, B-tank, Torch set, and can of R-22.I did a few more service pull window units check boilers ect. then I relocate to NYC where there is no shortage of work, learned the trade and opened-up shop. If you truly want to be Independent the door is always open just do right by the customers and that door stays open.
    After seeing your other post on this tread Word of advice, your attitude determine your altitude keep your EGO in check.

Post Likes
    You seem pretty adiment about starting your business even though everyone agrees its not a wise idea, so heres some advice to possible (most likely not) increase your chances, start your buisness specializing in schedualled PM's only no repairs or service (and if you dont know what PM's are or how to do them then your really not ready to have your own business yet). And in the mean time continue trying to find a job with someone else because your overhead and insurance will still be high in comparison without a client base.

Post Likes
    Yes I have.
    He started out very well.
    He started by selling Maintenance Aqreements to residents from the gated community he lived in
    He was OK with doing a PM on a system.
    Where he ran into a problem was when he was called out to a no cool, and he found the system needed to be replaced.
    Other then what he learned in school, he had never installed a system.
    He would Con the HVAC instructor to help him.
    He was also my instructor, and he told me it was getting old having to help Ken, out all of the time.
    I did call the gated community a few years later and was told they have no one living there with his man.
    I would say you would need field experence

Post Likes
    School is ok...but nothing beats experience...go to work first.
    once you think you know everything, you'll never learn another thing!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ddalberto View Post
    School is ok...but nothing beats experience...go to work first.
    Excellent advice by everyone here. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained at this forum.

Rather than tell you [Hace] what you should do, you will probably go ahead and follow your gut in this case, regardless of what anyone has to say. That said, let me comment on a call I made last week.

It seemed simple enough, a typical residential no-heat call on a 13 year old power assisted vented furnace going into a "b" chimney. I got there and noticed some things that weren't typical of the equipment operating properly. I have lots of experience, so I felt comfortable understanding the situation. The issue on the surface was that a roll-out switch had tripped. If I had less experience, it might have been a case where I reset the switch and cashed in on a service charge. That was not the case. I reset the switch and examined further. The next thing I noticed while running the furnace through a cycle was some discoloration on the furnace door louvers. The tape on the wires a bit melted and some wires were discolored. I watched the flame and everything seemed fine.....at least at that moment. The furnace air circulation fan had started and soon after, I noticed a slight intermittent flutter on the edge of one burner - to a noob, it wouldn't seem like a big deal. I pulled the burners and cleaned it to ensure it wasn't fouling. After reinstalling the burners, it continued to foul. I felt heat near the front of the furnace as well. There was more to this....experience told me that. I looked inside the heat exchanger cells and took this snap with my phone.

The little chips in the bottom are part of the heat exchanger inside each of the cells. If I had missed it, a whole family may not be around today.

To put it simply, this is not the sort of trade to make mistakes as you cut your teeth. We're not meteorologists. Being new, mistakes are going to happen which is why you're getting so much resistance from the veterans who frequent this site. You'll need some supervision for a bit. I would be doing you a disservice to tell you what you want to hear. I like your independent attitude.....don't lose that. Ask lots of questions and soak it up like a sponge.....put ego aside and take your lumps.....you should do just fine in a few years. Try an install team and slug equipment for a while - build on that.

"No" for me.

Post Likes
    I have had to re-train every "school-educated" tech that we've hired.

Post Likes
    To put your minds at ease a bit, back in Sept I was "hired" (subcontracted) by a guy with over 20yrs exp who answers my questions and teaches me

My own business is starting slowly.. I service a small pizza chain and a convenient store. Getting insurance wasn't a problem. I got a good deal on a minivan, almost all the tools I need second hand and hoping to get a contractor's liscence soon. I just ordered quicken books to start the acounting. Installed the first furnace by myself this past weekend.

Thanks for sharing that story. I'll try not to get in over my head.

Post Likes
    I'm kind of curious how you plan on getting a Contractor's License. I don't know what the regulations are in your state, but here you need a Certificate of Work Experience signed by a contractor or journeyman indicating you have 5 years of Journeyman experience before you can even think about getting a Contractor's License.

Actually, I just took a moment to look it up and you would need 8,000 hours of field experience and 500 hours of schooling to get a Contractor's License in New Jersey.

Post Likes
    "How do you make a small fortune on Wall Street?"

Start with a large one.

Post Likes
    There are no shortcuts.

There is a small chance you may be able to make a go of it financially but for the sake of safety get real world on the job experience first.
    If you go belly up you can rebuild. If you kill someone due to negligence there is no second chance for them.

Post Likes
    Life saving advice. When u pull the disconnect or kill the brker chk for power, if u leave chk for power on return, check each leg to ground then ground each leg as u pull it. Tape off the brker and before you touch the wires check for power again. Have a pair of insulated sole boots keep u from being grounded 240 will grab u and u will cook in place. Hvac guys die each year, carry a fire extinguisher, utilize your mentor and know your limits. Also u can hire someone with the experience u dont have, not a hack or rookie, or a guy with accounts and be up and running. i know b/c i did it. Remember the goal at the end of each day is to get home to your family the same way you left and $$ in pocket. Treat everyone with respect and focus on knowing your trade. So much more too this pm me i will try to help...Strictly A/c and refrigeration we have no need for heat in S. Florida

Post Likes
    have to disagree with you guys on this one. I started my own business after having a very hard time finding a job in the field after going to hvac school. i worked hard. im 4 years into my business and started with 0 customer base. not much field experiance. and tons and tons of competition. my first year was rough but i made it in the green and improved and grew my second and third years. now im doing commercial i have steady business and have employed 6 techs i have been in the green all 4 years and im making a great living it all came from proper advertising and being honest and doing good work. when you do 1 person right and do a great job that 1 person tells a few friends you get there business and then get there friends business and thats how i grew by the end of my first year i had steady work i wouldnt say everyone can do it it has alot to do with your market and location but i made it and didnt really ever struggle all that bad either i know of another guy that started day one out of school and is well on his way and making it just fine its a huge gamble but it was worth it for me you just have to do your homework and only if you really have your ducks in a row jump in

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in