Add on one-way valve for R22 bottle..

Is there an add-on 1/4" one way valve that can be mounted on an older black handle 12 22 and 502 unprotected refrigerant cylinder to prevent contamination?

Even with care, I think check valve is necessary since if cylinder is cooler than trapped refrigerant in hose the oil can get back washed and contaminate the whole jug.

If it's brass flare female, would it seal right against steel male flare on cylinder?

Never heard of anyone wanting that check valve in their tank. When they started that, they cut off my side income of selling empties for people to use for air tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RLBisTCB View Post
    Never heard of anyone wanting that check valve in their tank. When they started that, they cut off my side income of selling empties for people to use for air tanks.
    If the check valve isn't in tank, an external one is needed to provide the same function. It also protects the content of tank.
    Let's say for example you come across a 22 system wrongly charged with 410A. Depending on conditions, the pressure can be higher in system than cylinder.

Open the valve.. and entire 30 lb cylinder is now ruined, because 410A will back wash into it.

Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    If the check valve isn't in tank, an external one is needed to provide the same function. It also protects the content of tank.
    Let's say for example you come across a 22 system wrongly charged with 410A. Depending on conditions, the pressure can be higher in system than cylinder.

Open the valve.. and entire 30 lb cylinder is now ruined, because 410A will back wash into it.
    Ok, that could happen. But no, a check valve isn't needed. Don't get me wrong, to a rookie, or someone who's not paying enough attention to what he's doing, I guess it could save your rear. But if I connect to a system charged with 410a, I would hope I stop and do some checking before I opened the valve if my pressures were that high. If a 410a system were low, the pressures would be about like a correctly charged 22 system, unless they were very low in which case you still wouldn't ruin a tank of 22. The worst you would end up with is a system with a mixed charge.

Why would you even connect a tank until you were sure of the refrigerant in the system?

When in doubt, empty the system, and then charge to avoid mixing refrigerants.

Quote Originally Posted by RLBisTCB View Post
    until you were sure of the refrigerant in the system?
    How do you know? Do you use an electronic refrigerant identifier like auto shops back when R12 and R134a cars were about half and half?

The reason for check valve was to prevent tank rupture if the high side is accidentally opened on the manifold. I suppose to prevent trafficking recovered 502 and 12 as virgin as well back when they were in high demand.

If that's not necessary neutral safety switch in cars is unnecessary as well. "just don't start in gear" is to cars as "don't open the high side valve " is to system charging.

Even if it doesn't result in enough backwash to rupture the tank, the entire tank is now polluted and unusable crap

Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    How do you know? Do you use an electronic refrigerant identifier like auto shops back when R12 and R134a cars were about half and half?

The reason for check valve was to prevent tank rupture if the high side is accidentally opened on the manifold. I suppose to prevent trafficking recovered 502 and 12 as virgin as well back when they were in high demand.

If that's not necessary neutral safety switch in cars is unnecessary as well. "just don't start in gear" is to cars as "don't open the high side valve " is to system charging.

Even if it doesn't result in enough backwash to rupture the tank, the entire tank is now polluted and unusable crap
    Well, I can't and wouldn't claim to be the brightest crayon in the box, but if the pressure was over 120 psi, I don't think I would open the valve!