Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newly Redesigned Trane Air Handlers - Good or Bad Design?

Considering the Trane XL20i. Have heard they redesigned the air handler last year to put the evaporator coil on top (at the supply end) and the blower on the bottom (at the return end). Does this new concept of "pushing the air across the coil up to the supply" work better or worse than the old concept (that everyone else still uses?) of "pulling the air across the coil and up to the supply". The Lennox dealer said Trane did a bad, bad thing and it causes air "leaks" in the a/h cabinet.

Anybody run into this as a problem? Also not sure if it applies to the XL20i with a TAM8 air handler, or if the redesign was only the TAM7 and the GAM(x) series.

Of course the lennox dealer bad mouthed the Trane .i will say the Trane 20i with the tam8 air handler with the xl950 thermostat is one nice system.the situation is all airhandlers do leak some air its just on a negative pressure you cant feel it.

Actually the new cabinets are pretty tight. Also insulated better than the old metal ones, less problems with condensation on the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    Of course the lennox dealer bad mouthed the Trane .i will say the Trane 20i with the tam8 air handler with the xl950 thermostat is one nice system.the situation is all airhandlers do leak some air its just on a negative pressure you cant feel it.
    Yeah, I got that, Trane bashing! So, it's not really as bad as he said? What he said was, "Every time I walk by the air handler I can feel a rush of air as if I were walking past a fan... it's quite annoying."

If it's not impacting the equipment or efficiency, and it's IN MY LAUNDRY ROOM, I don't see a problem. I was concerned if it was a bad design for equipment longevity and efficiency.

Just mae sure they dont oversize the unit or you end up with a expensive unit that runs only on first stage

positive pressure is better then a negative pressure design. think of all the dryer lint in the room. would you want the unit sucking in that lint or keeping the unit in a positive pressure which would keep the lint out? i have installed quite a few of TAM units and really like them. no insulation inside the unit that can fall off. very easy to clean. has standard EXV for coil. Nothing is needed to convert it to horizontal left or right, or down flow and upflow.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    Just mae sure they dont oversize the unit or you end up with a expensive unit that runs only on first stage
    Thanks! I got that! I've been 'round that block a number of times on another thread and don't wanna talk about it anymore, anymore, anymore.... please? Thank you.

FYI, take a peak at the thread called "I'm fed up with Manual J". Eye-opening, to say the least!

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    positive pressure is better then a negative pressure design. think of all the dryer lint in the room. would you want the unit sucking in that lint or keeping the unit in a positive pressure which would keep the lint out? i have installed quite a few of TAM units and really like them. no insulation inside the unit that can fall off. very easy to clean. has standard EXV for coil. Nothing is needed to convert it to horizontal left or right, or down flow and upflow.
    Thanks! I appreciate your opinion as an installer. BTW, the a/h may be in the laundry room, but it sits on top of a completely enclosed wood cabinet. The filter grille covering the ductboard sealed return is in the hallway on the other side of the wall (not in the laundry), so no lint floats past the return. Dryer is vented to the outside through the wall opposite the a/h, and I vacuum the deep inside guts of the dryer and the dryer vent at least twice a year.

The positive pressure aspect of the Trane a/h brings up another "scientific" question. Does this allow the use of the more restrictive 1" 3M filters, or does it make it even more critical to use the least restrictive filter? Compared to another brand of a/h that operates on negative pressure, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Joy View Post
    The positive pressure aspect of the Trane a/h brings up another "scientific" question. Does this allow the use of the more restrictive 1" 3M filters, or does it make it even more critical to use the least restrictive filter? Compared to another brand of a/h that operates on negative pressure, that is.
    No

The Lennox dealer said Trane did a bad, bad thing and it causes air "leaks" in the a/h cabinet.
    The Lennox AH he wants to sell you probably has about the same amount of leakage, but it is sucking air in through the leaks instead of blowing it out.

The AS/Trane air handler also has an all aluminum coil, so is immune to the types of corrosion that have been plaguing the industry, is better insulated, has no fibrous materials in contact with the air stream, and all of the internal surfaces can be easily cleaned.

As with any radically new product, there have been some minor issues, but they have been dealt with as they become evident, at no charge.

IMO, it is the best air handler currently on the market, arguably the best there has ever been.

No, the physics are still the same. There is nothing new about a blow through coil, virtually every split system with gas heating has a blow through coil.

If you need/want a highly efficient filter, the ideal time to have a high efficiency air cleaner installed would be when a new air handler is being installed.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by dunkman View Post
    Actually the new cabinets are pretty tight. Also insulated better than the old metal ones, less problems with condensation on the cabinet.
    Thanks! I've seen the photos and literature on the Trane website, and they're built more like a refrigerator or freezer with the insulation between outer and inner metal walls. Unfortunately, they've not updated the cut-away photos to show the redesigned location of coil above the blower.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    No
    Is that a no on the first half of the question, the second half, or both?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast