Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A CRO is piped on the outlet of the evap and a metering device would be piped on the inlet side of the evap (for quick check if not sure of what you have). In the pic it looks like you have a cap tube (unless that is your tstat). Seems a little strange to think a cap tube would be sized to overload a compressor on a warm coil but what do I know.

The ABO label would make me say R502. On older stuff I kinda like to avoid POE so I'd use R408a.

Old compressors used a gasket on the sight glass and they can be a bear to get out. Tough enough that you might need to turn the compressor over, remove bottom plate, and punch the glass out from the inside. If it used an o-ring only thing you will need is a drag link socket (like a bit screwdriver bit).

Quote Originally Posted by Russ57 View Post
    A CRO is piped on the outlet of the evap and a metering device would be piped on the inlet side of the evap (for quick check if not sure of what you have). In the pic it looks like you have a cap tube (unless that is your tstat). Seems a little strange to think a cap tube would be sized to overload a compressor on a warm coil but what do I know.

The ABO label would make me say R502. On older stuff I kinda like to avoid POE so I'd use R408a.

Old compressors used a gasket on the sight glass and they can be a bear to get out. Tough enough that you might need to turn the compressor over, remove bottom plate, and punch the glass out from the inside. If it used an o-ring only thing you will need is a drag link socket (like a bit screwdriver bit).
    Yeah, i worked on a couple of those before and they did have captube feeds and a crankcase regulator. They were all dual feeds. This one appears to be single feed. I would tell the customer to junk it!!!Time to get into the 21st century! But, don't be surprised when the owner buys another old used relic from auction and needs you to fix it and it's the exact same thing only r-12 instead of 502. True story!!!

Thx everyone.

The color of that valve is just the paint they used, does'nt mean anything.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12