Thread: Flue is preventing media filter install

Post Likes

Flue is preventing media filter install

I'm having a new furnace installed and A/C added to a house I own in San Jose, CA (different house than the one with two heat pumps I posted about before). Proposal called for a Bryant EZ-Flex filter to be installed, but they said the flue would need to be rerouted, as it would be in the way (downdraft configuration). They just called me and said they cannot figure out a way to get the flue out of the way to allow the filter to be changed. The closet containing the furnace is 23" wide. The right hand side of the closet is shared with the garage. The front left hand side of the closet sticks out a bit into the laundy room (the furnace closet is in the laundy room), while the back left side of the closet is shared with a hallway closet on the other side. They thought they might be able to cut into the wall on either side, but they've decided that they can't do it.

Any ideas that they might not have thought of for routing the flue? They said some people do a removable piece of flue in front of the filter, but that it was a code violation. The plan now is to expand the return grill and just filter the air there. I will ask for a deep box so I can install one of those Honeywell FC40 filters if we have to go that route.

Post Likes
    Getting a media filter on top of a downflow furnace can be tricky to say the least. Depending on the width and model of the furnace, they may be able to bring the flue out of the side of the furnace instead of straight through in front of the blower door to jog around the filter rack. 23" is kinda tight to make that jog with anything but a 14" wide furnace cabinet and maintain 1" clearance for the flue (assuming 80% furnace).

Post Likes
    Does the water heater vent into the same flue? If not, another thought is to run the flue into the garage. Then go to the attic and back to the flue (in the attic) if there is enough rise.

The flue will need to be boxed in and sheet rocked because of the garage area.

My dad used to say, "the impossible just takes a little longer."

Post Likes
    Can you post pics? Also, what is the chimney/ vent: masonry vs. B-vent? A listed B-vent connector can reduce clearances to combustibles to 1" but really is not intendeed or designed for frequent disconnection/ re-connection. Singled walled vent connector pipe carries a 6" clearance to combustibles. A return must be at least 10 feet away from the combustion chamber of the furnace even if around the corner in the next room. You may have to settle for a filter return elsewhere in the house. Make sure the air handler can handle the pressure drop of the filter and have them perform combustion analysis when heating to ensure it is not adversely affecting performance and venting.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
    I'm having a new furnace installed and A/C added to a house I own in San Jose, CA (different house than the one with two heat pumps I posted about before). Proposal called for a Bryant EZ-Flex filter to be installed, but they said the flue would need to be rerouted, as it would be in the way (downdraft configuration). They just called me and said they cannot figure out a way to get the flue out of the way to allow the filter to be changed. The closet containing the furnace is 23" wide. The right hand side of the closet is shared with the garage. The front left hand side of the closet sticks out a bit into the laundy room (the furnace closet is in the laundy room), while the back left side of the closet is shared with a hallway closet on the other side. They thought they might be able to cut into the wall on either side, but they've decided that they can't do it.

Any ideas that they might not have thought of for routing the flue? They said some people do a removable piece of flue in front of the filter, but that it was a code violation. The plan now is to expand the return grill and just filter the air there. I will ask for a deep box so I can install one of those Honeywell FC40 filters if we have to go that route.
    I've done the removable flue pipe before. Sometimes it just is what it is.
    We only use 1 year filters for that though, and generally only on houses we do tune-ups on.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Does the water heater vent into the same flue? If not, another thought is to run the flue into the garage. Then go to the attic and back to the flue (in the attic) if there is enough rise.

The flue will need to be boxed in and sheet rocked because of the garage area.

My dad used to say, "the impossible just takes a little longer."
    The water heater vents into the same flue. Here is what it looks like now. That's the water heater coming in from the left.

Name:  furnace1.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  31.5 KB

I'm not sure, but I think they were thinking they could come out the right side, go up and then across. But even after cutting into the drywall they determined there still wasn't enough room. Maybe in the future I could cut out the drywall on the right side between the last stud and the front of the closet, and frame out a larger space (the garage is on the other side of that closet wall and I can steal space from it). Then there would be enough room to come out the right side and have enough clearance.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the picture, it helps alot. Yes, if a stud is not in the way, run a (double wall) vent out the right side, go up and over will work fine.

The 17.5" EZ-flex housing will set right on the (17.5") furnace.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in