Thread: Need Advice!

Need Advice!

Hi All,

I am looking to get into HVAC-R field. I am a recent graduate in mechanical engineering. I am having a hard time to find a job. I applied at local 104 union in San Francisco and planning to work as a HVAC Tech for a couple of years. Five years down the road i want to see myself working as a contractor or a hvac engineer. Do you think it is the right thing to do? Thanks

Yeah as long as you understand that regardless of your schooling, almost everyone starts at the bottom in this field. Sounds like a good plan though. Just absorb as much as you can and learn how what you already know applies. Good luck!

Have you talked to the union, other than submitting an application? I'm not sure how they would take to the idea of a guy who knows (or, thinks he knows) more than the guys for whom he supposedly is an apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Have you talked to the union, other than submitting an application? I'm not sure how they would take to the idea of a guy who knows (or, thinks he knows) more than the guys for whom he supposedly is an apprentice.
    No, i haven't talked to them other then submitting an application. I am not sure if i should talk to them right now. May be later? I want to get hands on training and learn more about the trade.

when I started my apprenticeship, 11 of 15 guys in my class were degreed engineers who knew they either didnt want to be an office guy, or wanted to start a business. do like I did, get in, learn as much as you can, then go in business. i still carry my card and pay my dues, but run my buisiness day to day. by theway, i am not one of the engineers in the group, ost of those guys decided to stay working as fitters or welders and are quite happy.

There are a lot of degreed people in the field. Tons of people with standard college degrees and some really excellent engineers. I work routinely with an architect who is a union carpenter. There was a time where you either learned a trade or went to college, it is my opinion that times have changed. Many people now do both. By the way, it took forever for me to pay off my student loans. I am one of those "college boys" who works with his hands.