Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buderus G115 v. Burnham MPO-IQ

So, after hearing lots of helpful advice here I decided to forego the Bryant or Weil Mclain quotes I received and get some estimates for a Buderus oil boiler.

First guy gave me a quote for a Buderus G115ws-5, with Reillo burner, Logomatic control, and tank ST150. Obviously more expensive than Bryant/weil but not too bad.

Second guy is a Buderus dealer but says he will not sell Buderus Logomatic controls because they are a service nightmare. He is recommending a Burnham MPO-IQ115. Price is similar to the Buderus package.

So, which one do I go with and why?

The Logamatic is a fine control, does a lot of different things. But the outdoor reset curve does need to be "tuned" to the house for maximum comfort and savings. It is better to get the customer involved and understand the curve setting process. I happen to be partial to the Buderus, but there is probably nothing wrong with the Burnham unit.

Why are we quoting a five section boiler? Has anyone done or estimated a heat loss?

Tell you the truth, I am not sure whether anyone did a heat loss calculation. They at least asked for the square footage of the house. it is a stone house (thick stone walls), built in 1940, older windows with storm windows.

should have also said 2400 sq ft.

What part of the country are you located?

S.E. Pa. - just outside Philly.

I'll wager a g115/3 would heat the house fine. I have one in a 3000 sq ft McMansion on Long Island and it heats just fine. You do need to take into account the local conditions and some specifics like homes with a lot of glass and/or infiltration, pretty much what a heat loss tells you. Bigger is NOT better with boilers! It only leads to higher fuel consumption.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

One guy told me that he would use a 5 section because I have older 2-2.5 inch pipes, and there is a lot of water in the system to heat. Does that make sense?

BTW, do you have a logamitc control?

If you have a large volume of water in the system your supposed to pipe the boiler "primary-secondary piping" or some other type of boiler protection to combat condensation issues, boiler size really has nothing to do with it.

I have the Logamatic in my own home, yes.

We have several of the Burnham MPOs running in the field, no problems what so ever. And I agree on the primary secondary piping arrangement. 20 years ago hardly saw them at all, today, most of what we pipe is primary secondary.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Make Them do a Load Calc.

Quote Originally Posted by newlyn View Post
    One guy told me that he would use a 5 section because I have older 2-2.5 inch pipes, and there is a lot of water in the system to heat. Does that make sense?

BTW, do you have a logamitc control?

The size of the pipes does NOT determine the size of the boiler. You probably have a converted gravity flow system. This is not a problem and can actually be beneficial as the volume of water in the pipes serves as a buffer that will help prevent short cycling of the boiler.

As others have stated, it should be piped primary/secondary.

I agree with Ron that a three section G115 would probably be sufficient. The Buderus can be upfired by 10%.

Both are good boilers. I would give the Buderus the edge with its flexible cast iron. I'm a dealer for both.

Have you tried the contractor search on this forum? Heatinghelp.com also has one.

Concur with the others about getting a total heat loss. I'm in your area, about the same size house, MPO-115 w/ and indirect. But I'm very insulated.

Quote Originally Posted by newlyn View Post
    S.E. Pa. - just outside Philly.
    I'd recommend that you contact STEVEusaPA.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast