Help Lennox 14ACX VS Amana SSX14 OR?

Hello All,

We live in HOTlanta and our central Air Conditioner has died. They tell me the compressor is shot. The unit is thirteen years old. It's a 4 ton

We have gotten quotes and think we have narrowed it down to the Lennox 14ACX or the Amana SSX14

I have been reading reviews until my brain wants to explode. Some sites like them some don't. Some say the Amana is noisy. Some the Lennox is low end. I don't know what to believe anymore.

We are considering replacing the outside unit along with the coil inside and keeping our furnace. That is the way all the quotes have been.

So my questions are these. From your professional experience what would you advise? Is there a large Pro or Con to either of these that would mean we should go or stay away? Even though our thirteen year old unit is a 12 Seer I think, maybe ten, is 14 SEER okay in this very long summer enviroment? Should we be looking at an even greater SEER rating? Amana has a lifetime compressor warranty, would that make it a better choice than Lennox? Or by the time that compressor breaks down the whole unit would be so outdated it doesn't matter. Will the labor cost of installing a free compressor in an old unit by then also be not worth it? Is there something else we should be considering? Is there something I should be asking that I haven't even thought of?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Check the contractor locator...there are some good guys from that area....ga-hvac-tech is in your area
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!

The lennox is builder grade the amana has a lifetime compressor warranty i beleive .look at the lennox xc 14

The Lennox Merit is a bare bones Mexican made unit. Compressor, coil, fan & motor. That's it. The Distinctions/Goodman SSX14 has high & low presssure switches to protect the compressor. I think low pressure switch or loss of charge switch is critical with 410 and its moisture hating POE oil. The SSX14 also has a compressor cover so should be a bit quieter. The Merit units are loud. And the improved warranty catman mentions. Keeping the furnace means you are pretty much limited to 14 SEER. Paying lots more for higher won't deliver til you get a matched ECM indoor blower.

If you are in ga-hvac-tech's area I'd sure call him. Sharp guy.

We live in HOTlanta and our central Air Conditioner has died. They tell me the compressor is shot. The unit is thirteen years old. It's a 4 ton.
    Atlanta GA 2.5% summer design is 92F dry bulb & 74F wet bulb or 43% RH.

I question whether you need a 4-Ton condenser; I'd have a Home Energy Efficiency Audit performed, there are a lot of auditors in Atlanta to pick from. Then after the retrofits, have a room by room heat-gain heat loss calc performed for sizing the equipment & duct system air flow, etc.

Green Home Guide Ten Ways to Beat the Heat
    http://greenhomeguide.com/know-how/a...-beat-the-heat Click on MORE.

Tell us about your home its size & other construction, windows, doors, & insulation levels, etc.

A smaller than a 4-tonnage condenser will usually operate more efficiently with the duct system & do a better job reducing the indoor humidity while still getting the temp down to 75-F.

Always get a thermostat that has a temp SWING setting so you can regulate the length of runtimes & cycles per hour, etc.
    Last edited by udarrell; 08-20-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typo & clarity issues...

where do I find ga-hvac-tech?

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Check the contractor locator...there are some good guys from that area....ga-hvac-tech is in your area
    I tried contractor locator and there is no body in our area called ga-hvac-tech I'm clearly doing something wrong. How do I find this person?