Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Urgent help needed: comparing 2 system

For the past month the husband and I have been getting quote to replace our furnace that is older than us.
    We have narrowed it down to two bids. Both from good contractors. They stand behind their installation. Have good reviews and we have good feeling with both guys.
    It boils down to the equipment. So here goes my question to all of you hvac experts. Which one is a better equipment. I know equipment+installation is what makes a good system. But given the same expertise and quality in installation, which one of these furnace is just plain built better.
    Btw, both contractors quotes me for the same BTU, so I really just need equipment comparison, ie: quality, how easy it is to order parts, company customer service, etc.
    We already have an AC, and not replacing that. the AC is 2 tons. and these furnaces are 3 tons. Actually all the furnace quotes I got are 3 tons. And they all said that it can be adjusted or something. So I am guessing this is common practice.

Anyways, these are the system I need help with.

1. carrier performance 96

2. trane xv95

Since we have been getting quotes for a while, we would like to decide very soon. Thus, any insights is greatly appreciated.
    thanks

a lot of views but no reply.... help.... we need to make a decision quickly. did i post in the wrong subforum or something?

How did they decide how many btu? Did they do a heat loss or gain? It really boils down to the installer, we deal trane and in the last 3 years only 1 call back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not be able to choose either.... both are good products.... maybe flip a coin....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

The Trane is variable speed blower, the Carrier uses a fixed speed high efficiency motor. It is like a standard blower motor like a lower end furnace but uses considerably less power like a variable speed. Dealer and everything else being equal, the XV95 is a level above the Performance 96.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The Trane is variable speed blower, the Carrier uses a fixed speed high efficiency motor. It is like a standard blower motor like a lower end furnace but uses considerably less power like a variable speed. Dealer and everything else being equal, the XV95 is a level above the Performance 96.
    this is good info. so "fixed speed high efficiency motor" is not equal to variable speed. I went to carrier website tho, and it says that it is variable speed blower motor. is their website inaccurate? I am a little confused.....
    http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...rmance96.shtml
    explanation is greatly appreciated.

oh, never mind.... i guess the carrier model I was quoted for is actually 59tp5a that has multiple speed ecm. is this ecm motor the fixed speed you are talking about?

one other question..... I have honeywell visionpro 8000 thermostat. both of these guys said that they need to pull more wires for the 2 stage to work. is it really the case?

thanks guys.....

one other question..... I have honeywell visionpro 8000 thermostat. both of these guys said that they need to pull more wires for the 2 stage to work. is it really the case?

thanks guys.....

could well be ... how many wires at stat now.....you will need a minimum of five....probably gonna be pulling more....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

I have 4 wires now. i did look at the thermostat manual and I need more. I was just wondering if there is a trick to go around this.

so anyone can explain to me about the ecm motor that carrier has. is it different from the variable speed motor that trane has.
    I want to make a decision tomorrow, so I can get my installation in the schedule before the winter.

ECM is the same with any brand, x13 is the fixed speed high eff motor. Both manufactures make quality equipment. I suggest going with whichever contractor stood out more or flipping a coin.

comparing 2 system

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications
    here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-08-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast