Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rheem vs Goodman help

Eliminated all others for price or reccomendations. Picked a neighborhood reccomended company that will install both for a fair price. Rheem top of the line JEZ or JEC 2 ton and 3 ton units with a 18 and 19 seer. Goodman ssx16 16 seer. Both have Fed rebate. A/C guy reccomends Rheem because of track record but will install Goodman which is 25% cheaper and does not have a history since they went with amana units recentanly. Both have 10 /10 warranty but I still have to pay labor. Any history on the boards for Rheem without the contacts? Goodman is cheap and simple but worried about service calls. Will higher seer and reputation make up for the price differance. I like KISS and the savings but now you have pay me now or pay me alot later.

I would go for goodman. Has lifetime warranty

Rheem. Demand defrost, 3 strikes lockout board with diagnostics. There's a reason it is more money.

But if you want to save a buck, Goodman does work fine IF properly installed. And Goodman bought Amana, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by hog424 View Post
    Eliminated all others for price or reccomendations. Picked a neighborhood reccomended company that will install both for a fair price. Rheem top of the line JEZ or JEC 2 ton and 3 ton units with a 18 and 19 seer. Goodman ssx16 16 seer. Both have Fed rebate. A/C guy reccomends Rheem because of track record but will install Goodman which is 25% cheaper and does not have a history since they went with amana units recentanly. Both have 10 /10 warranty but I still have to pay labor. Any history on the boards for Rheem without the contacts? Goodman is cheap and simple but worried about service calls. Will higher seer and reputation make up for the price differance. I like KISS and the savings but now you have pay me now or pay me alot later.
    If you select a contractor that is a GoodCare Dealer then you should be able to get an inexpensive labor contract with your Goodman purchase. You can contact Goodman to find out the closest Goodman distributor who would have a list of Goodcare dealers.

Forgot to say I live in Miami, Florida; units run 24/7. Will there be enough electric savings from the 18/19 over the 16 to make up some of the extra cost. "3 strikes lockout board"?- the JEZ only comes with 1 comp board and the JEC has more controls on it's board. Both have vspeed air handlers

Asked about that - brings cost dif to about 12%. Money's tight. Is the labor warranty from Goodman, seperate warranty service or the A/C contractor.

DO you have any experience with the repair history on the Goodman?

Go for the Amana. They are a bit better quality than the Goodman series.

The A/C guy I want to use is Trane/Rheem certified but not on goodmans good care list so I don't know about the 10 yr labor warranty. Will check for Amana but I thought they were the same like Ruud/Rheem-just different label.

Quote Originally Posted by hog424 View Post
    The A/C guy I want to use is Trane/Rheem certified but not on goodmans good care list so I don't know about the 10 yr labor warranty. Will check for Amana but I thought they were the same like Ruud/Rheem-just different label.
    They fall under the same umbrella and have the same warranties. The Amana equipment is usually nicer, a bit more high end. For example, the SEER 16 goodman SSZ16 is a single stage heat pump and the Amana ASZ16 is a two-stage heat pump. Nothing wrong with Goodman, but the Amana stuff is different and isn't much of a price jump from the Goodman lines.

The JEZ has the Copeland comfort alert control. Extra compressor protection and diagnostics. The JEC is the communicating system. Not sure all the features of it since it is new. May have twin Copeland scrolls for staging. Got the exact model #? Both are very nice systems and should command a nice premium over a bare bones Goodman, which is more like the cube 14PJL line of Rheem. Goodman's Amana line which has been mentioned is more on the caliber of the Rheems.

Thanks-will check out the amana. In florida and run a/c 24/7- is there alot of electric savings between the 18 and 19 seer vs the 16 seer. Tried doing the calcs but I'm math handicaped as they would say. Replacing 15yr old 10 seer. Going A/C only-no heat pump.

Ruud/Rheem

I thought I read somewhere that Rheem/Ruud had either gone out of business or had been bought out.Does anyone know if this is true?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast