Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nordyne Coils?

Nordyne Coils?

Hey guys-

I've done some searching in the forums and found one topic that was following my question, but never seemed to come to any definite conclusion. We had some pricing issues with our local York distributor and moved over to Westinghouse (Nordyne) as our primary line for about 2 years (08ish to early 2010). In that time, we installed hundreds of Westinghouse HPs and A/C's for our customers. Since then, we have had to go back to replace evap coils in a good 60+% of those systems - sometimes more than once. The timeframe on the leaks showing up varies, but it seems they are inevitable. In the beginning, we did what we could to convey no charge to the customer for the replacement - but after a while, it was just hurting our bottom-line too much to keep doing this, when we were getting no recourse from the Distributor or Nordyne. Now we have a lot of ticked off customers who don't understand why they have to pay us to replace a coil on a system that's 2 years old. There was some mention of a possible recall or notice released from Nordyne regarding the issue in the previous thread. It seems it was around the beginning of this year Nordyne came out with their new replacement coils, which are completely redisigned - and they are taking the formicary corrosion is the only culprit route. I'm not 100% discounting that it is a contributing factor - don't get me wrong, I understand that it is a growing concern. My problem is that the York units we have installed in the years prior to our switch to Westinghouse, some that we installed while we were also installing Westinghouse, and the hundreds we have installed since moving back to York - this has not been an issue. Yes, there is the occasional leaker a year or 2 after install - but I'd put it closer to the 3-5% mark, than the HUGE percentage we have seen with the Westinghouse/Nordyne. If formicary corrosion was the culprit, it should be presenting the same problem regardless of the brand of unit. It seems to me that Nordyne determined that they had a manufacturing defect and redesigned the coils

Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so - have you heard anything from your distributor or Nordyne about a recall or compensation for the homeowners that are getting hammered by this? Our local distributor has essentially said there is nothing that can be done, and they have heard of no recall from Nordyne. York had a similar problem several years ago with their "blue coils", but they (or maybe our York distributor) went above and beyond to assist with those replacements - we got the part (with markup), labor, refrigerant and travel for all of those replacements - even when they were well outside of the manufacturer's DOA/30 days labor.

We haven't sold that much Nordyne over the last 5 say years. Coil leaks are an epidemic in the industry, I don't see Nordyne any worse than the rest. At the moment Rheem worries me the most with their Mexican N coils.

Yes, York did go above & beyond. We're not a dealer but they gave a customer we changed a coil on a healthy labor allowance.

Nordyne's MC coils worry me the most, had some issues getting a HP charged right to work in both modes.

We've never installed Nordyne but rather do Bryant. What I can tell you is that about 2-years ago, Bryant began offering 'tinned' coils, which look to the eye like aluminum coils but are not aluminum. At first the 'tinned' coils were an option. Not anymore. All the coils we get from Bryant are the 'tinned' model, at least in our area. I can't attest to that in other areas, ours only.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Nordyne Coils??

I had to "get off "the Nordyne (Tappan) units as well..... Leakers....! It gets old when one has to explain to their customers that they have a new unit and it is leaking. I have been "eating" the labor, gas and freight on these coils. I have talked to Nordyne about the problem, but got no where. I have a coil on order and have to go in the moning and charge the unit again just so the women has ac while I am wait for it to arrive. This is not right and we should not have to pay for their problem. If the gas was consider a "part" and covered under the warranty it would not be so bad. I switched to Heil and their 5 year no hassel warrany to cover me and the customer. I had one issue and it was taken care of. It would be nice if Nordyne would no the right thing......

It has been a few years since I worked at a dealer that used all nordyne, specifically tappan, gibson, and kelvinator. Maybe I am misplacing this thought, but I believe they payed a labor allowance for compressor, heat exchanger, and evap warranty replacements. If I remember right we used to get a cple hundred bucks from nordyne to change a compressor. Am I losing it? Not sure if they still do it. Thats a shame too, they have some really interesting product out there right now, and was always a big fan of their designs. Probably my most favorite, not having the control board mounted on the blower.

They DO offer a labor credit of $250, but this is only for compressor failure in units that are covered under their Quality Replacement Pledge. We have replaced a good 7 or 8 under the QRP as well. Becool, i'm not glad to hear of your troubles with them too, but I am somewhat comforted to know we aren't the only Contractor out here dealing with this - gives me hope that, at some point, something is going to cause them to open their eyes and see what is happening. When the Westinghouse brand was introduced into our market, they came in hard and fast trying to woo Contractors into getting on board. We thought we had done our homework with them, reviewing the equipment designs, technology, etc. When the problems started to become more prevalent, suddenly the Distributor is backing off and doesn't want to act like he's our best friend anymore. Now, we're hearing grumblings that the Distributor in town is either having the Westinghouse brand taken from them or that they're giving it up - leaving us wondering where we are going to be getting parts from anymore.

I see a class action in the future on mc coils

We sold broan/nordyne as our "less expensive" brand for about 8 months 2 years ago. Have had a few package unit evap coils that have leaked but no MC coils, at least not yet. We have had trouble getting parts for any of the equipment from the distributers though, sometimes it will take them 2 or 3 weeks to get us an x13 warranty blower motor, board or something like that, they should have these things in stock. I'm glad we didn't install too many of them. We have been York dealers since 1982 and they have always been good to us. I'm glad JCI has implemented better quality assurance to their product and brought the manufacturing back to the U.S.A.

The company I work for has experienced the same problems described with nordyne and no compensation. We have ate alot of freon cost too, needless to say we are not selling them anymore. We have made a few coil changes with the new design coil but only time will tell if the results of this design are better.

We looked at Tappan, mainly out of interest in the IQ Drive system. After putting in a couple of basic systems, we bailed on it because of the glaringly obvious lack of quality design and construction of the the air handlers, Chinese capacitors, etc..
    Later we started hearing about the horror stories with their indoor coils, made me glad we bailed on offering them.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

To OP... I work for warranty co. and was manning the phones for over a year until about 6 months ago. I heard enough Nordyne contractors mention they have been having problems with evap coils to be past coincidence in my opinion (as it rarely comes up with other OEMs). I hope the new design has been working better to resolve the issue and I'm sorry to hear about all the problems you have had.

I have sold 100's of C3 C5 C6 C7 coils in last 5 years with no problems. hope i just got lucky.

I have been called on two nordyne a/h's a year or so old, that another contractor installed. Both units had leaks on the evap coil.

The board lies horizontal directly beneath the hole for the wiring to the fan motor. The coils have frozen and subsequently thawed and taken out the boards. The only design they could have done worse would to have been making the board part of the condensate trap!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast