Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused

I have Vonage on my home pc and want to continue using hyperterminal to dial into JCI stuff and others via connection to a modem......the way I did when I still had my landline phone.
    I have since seen that the packet echanges and speed are a real issue and no matter what I try I can not get past the handshake....
    Once, I did get to the JCI log on and password screen (where Press F1) shows up but you could tell the speeds were not compatable.....even tried lowering baud rate and so on.... to no avail.

Question....Is there any why to connect to a modem while using VOIP ? be it with software or device.

I'd be interested in knowing a solution as well. I have Packet 8 VOIP.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

It's partially a bandwidth issue and a dropout issue. Voice has a bandwith of about 4 KHz. The lines themselves can go higher, providing filters have not been installed on the lines at your NID or the telco office.

Celphone modems may top out at 9600 or 14400 bps, but you won't be able to get higher under the voice link.

A 300 baud modem uses an entirely different encoding scheme, so I would suggest that speed. As the speed of the modem goes up phase encoding starts to come into play.

Get the value of register N. ATSN?

Use ATSN=1 to set it to 300 baud.
    Use AT&Nx to set it back. 0 is max or what was returned above.

Use W1 or W2 to see the com speed. One is your link, one is the remote link. Not sure which is which.

So use ATSN=1W1X1DT5551212 or

ATSN=1W2X1DT5551212

for starters.

Be careful here because there is 2 ways that the modem can r report speed by the modem. You need to FORCE the modem to use 300 bps with an AT command string. Setting your serial link to 300 bps may still cause the modem to communicate at 56 kbps or whatever the answering device negotiated.

I'd suspect that the dropouts or packet delay is killing you and because of the phase encoding scheme your going to loose. Also the transmission is not inherently error-correcting.

If you have DSL, you can improve performance of your network by removing any filters and use a single splitter located in the NID. You can further improve DSL by having the telco replace the module with a module that is more friendly to DSL and contains no passive devices. The DSL splitter is about $60 and can be installed yourself, or the telco may install it for free.

try 300 baud and force the modem to use that speed.

Put device servers on the serial links. A $300 device that will put your serial connection on the internet. Just get one that supports ssh encoding so passwords are not in cleartext on the internet.

As an example, you can subscribe to Cinglar's CSD service for about $5.00 per month which will allow 9600 baud connections and you can make the calls from the cell phone modem.

Quick test: call a fax or modem number from your cell phone. If it hangs up after the tone, you need the extra service.

[Edited by keepitsimplestupid on 09-15-2006 at 11:26 AM]

I can verify that Vonage won't support what you need for Hyperterminal connections. I thought I'd be a smart guy and purchase their fax line for an extra $10/mo, 'cause surely that supports some type of data transmission, right? Nope. Had to stick with my regular phone line for data, and Vonage for VOIP (which was a big mistake anyway - HORRIBLE voice quality, even with all the bandwidth tweaks they suggest)...

That is too bad. I recently considered signing up with Skype or Vonage. Not anymore.

My service with Packet 8 is really good. Doesn't support modems but clarity and what not is fine except when I am playing video/music at the same time I am on the phone - it suffers a bit, enough to be noticeable and sometimes annoying. Try this site and let vonnage know your results or adjust your firewall to help.
    http://testmyvoip.com/
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Well, isn't that enlightening? My crappy VOIP scored 1.6, 1.7, 1.2 in three consecutive tests...below the threshold at which I'm told to "forget the phone, try the Pony Express"!

Finally got hyperterminal to work with Vonage (VOIP)

Used a generic 56k modem card.....,

Port speed = 300
    Data Protocol = Enabled
    Compression = Enabled
    Flow Control = Hardware

Emulation = VT100
    Backscroll Buffer Lines = 500
    Data Bits = 8
    Parity = None
    Stop Bits = 1

Just lowering Port speed to 300 did work and connection with Johnson Control N30 was fine but a little slow....

Called from within the area code and only dialed 7 didgit #

Worked two times in a row and was able to do everything...Will see if it continues to be operable connections...

Diggin up Bones!

Quote Originally Posted by bradysmill View Post
    Finally got hyperterminal to work with Vonage (VOIP)

Used a generic 56k modem card.....,

Port speed = 300
    Data Protocol = Enabled
    Compression = Enabled
    Flow Control = Hardware

Emulation = VT100
    Backscroll Buffer Lines = 500
    Data Bits = 8
    Parity = None
    Stop Bits = 1

Just lowering Port speed to 300 did work and connection with Johnson Control N30 was fine but a little slow....

Called from within the area code and only dialed 7 didgit #

Worked two times in a row and was able to do everything...Will see if it continues to be operable connections...
    Recently it occured to me that it might be usefull to be able to connect to remote devices with a VOIP solution. But with a twist. The remote devices I'm trying to connect to are set up with an analog phone line/number and an old Modem.

I found this thread using google and have not had much luck looking for solutions to this problem. Alot of people seem to have forgotten that Modems are still in use in a lot of places where it's not cost effective to replace them. I know heracy to the digital Gods right? Whatever!

So has anyone had any better luck with this problem than dialing speed back to 300bps? Are there any softphones out there that support a data connection from hyperterminal? One phone that came up is the Nortel IP Softphone 2050. But it looks like a purely comercial softphone that has to connect to a Nortel Server (not a generic SIP Server).

Any insight would be appreciated.

AT&T does offer CSD. http://navasgroup.com/attwireless/gsm_data.htm

I don't know what plan I have, but I didn't get the extra number. You can tell it works by dialing a modem or FAX machine. If your immediately hung up when the phone answers, your not enabled.

Mine offered a phone number to dial for dial-up internet. Speed is 9600 bps, so it should support a FAX machine. I've never had the time to try.

If you can tell me a bit about your problem with the following info, I might be able to work out a solution.

Can you access the plants HVAC network via VPN or directly? Could VPN be an option?

Do you know anything about the protocol? Is it just Hyperterminal that your after? A substitute for that is Telnet which Hyperterminal supports.

So, I need to know if your using some proprietary software that must know it's talking to a modem. Are you?

Are we talking Rs232?

As an example, these terminal server products might work:

http://www.moxa.com/product/terminal_Server.htm

Lantronix, B&B Electronics, Cisco and other companies have them too.

These should work, if all you had to do before is execute a few modem commands like ATDT and the device on the other end responded.

All you would need is Hyperterminal or ssh if you chose that protocol to access the serial devices.

Cost basically is determined by the proximity and the amount of noise immunity desired. You would not have to pay for the individual modems at the devices anymore.

It would be best to run Rs485 or RS422 over long distances to reach the n-port terminal server. i.e. put all of RS232/Rs485 converters at the terminal server or configure the terminal server to support Rs485 or whatever.

I'd need some details. I have some other sources to look at.

Meanwhile you have some options, even dedicating a small PC to do it although I'd rather use an appliance. 10 years ago the cost of an 8 port serer was about $1000. Single port servers are about $250.

You really want to support "reverse telnet" on the server side. I was able to get it to work with a port server made in Isreal until I updated the firmware.

With many of the "reverse telnet" servers, you have to dedicate a port for each device.

So, to use Hyperterminal it's a matter of configuring it.

You would configure Hyperterminal to connect via TCP/IP to a specific hostname or specify an IP address and a port. That's the only change.

On the plant's side, you would need a public IP address or, the connection would occur via VPN and you would opt for port forwarding in the plants router.

Is this information useful?

EDIT:
    Here is a manual for an example server that doesn't use a standard protocal such as SSH, Telnet or Reverse Telnet.
    http://www.bb-elec.com/bb-elec/liter...x-xx-0110m.pdf

EDIT1:
    Here are some Telnet and ssh apps for your cell phone, Of course, there are applications for the iPhone.

What I'm looking for is something like a "Software Modem" that connects to a SIP Server or some other VOIP Server, so that a user can open Hyperterminal, Select a connection to the "Software Modem" (as if it was an installed modem) put in a number for a remote modem (say a USRobotics courier or sportster V.Everything or the equivalent), and establish a terminal session.

It looked like this problem mirrored the discussion in this thread. This is more of a generic automation question than an HVAC question.

In my case I work for a utility. We have several devices tied to modems in the field that we don't intend to replace anytime soon. To get an analog line in my cube these days is near impossible, so a VOIP solution might be more in step with our current office technology. However this kind of problem doesn't seem to get very much attention. Googling around this thread caught my attention. because one solution involved Vonage and VOIP.

I have Vonage and have connected to our controllers for hours on end with a modem. Pretty sure everything connected just fine @ 9600. No issues with dropped calls or any special setup or modem.

Do you have the bandwidth saver turned on in your Vonage box??

I have a pretty fat pipe for the internet, maybe that is the reason it works so well??

As I asked before. Is Ethernet nearby Wireless or otherwise.?

So, your tryng to access some device tied to an analog phone line from your office internet connection?

How many devices are we talking about and how far apart are they?

What is the current interface?

I can't really go on much without more information. I'm guessing you want a server VoIP rather than a Client.

We don't appear to be mind melding.

If you have a single device using RS232 you can use the B&B box and connect to it providing you have Ethernet nearby. Wireless or otherwise.

But, as I caution, I'd reccomend ssh or reverse telnet rather than a virtual serial port.

Can you not get a slow speed "dry loop" dsl connection for the item connected to the phone line?

http://www.punny.org/money/everythin...-dry-loop-dsl/

If you can get a modem installed ANYWHERE where there is both ethernet, POTs and power you can do it. Use a phone closet.

You can telnet into a "box" which is attached to a modem, which can then dial out. Telnet is across your office internet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast