Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    I suspect that based on his e x p e r i e n c e s he will address structural issues as a higher priority than most customers wish.

I'd give him until y e s t e r d a y afternoon to respond.
    ___ Just consider the 20 minutes as lost time or Lesson LEARNED.
    Well, as my daughter would say, "I'm over it!" I called this guy once again in an attempt to get an appointment, but his second promise to call me back was, again, broken. I even emailed him through a link on his website, to no avail.

Guess he's too busy giving out "FREE" comfort inspections. No problem, I've decided against his offering of Amana anyway. Within 15 minutes, I was able to make appointments with the two other Comfort Institute members in my county. Besides, he's only been in business since 2006, is not on Angie's list, and has no BBB rating. I wish him good luck in his business endeavor, but "I'm over it!"

What do you think about the Maytag line of heat pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    The midrange equipment shouldn't cost much more. Makes me woner if that contractor was just high, or he was planning on doing more "work". Meaning more changes to ductwork. Traditonally, Trane XLi series is the most expensive next to Infinity. Carrier Performance and Comfort series should fall inline with midrange and upper end equipment from other makes. But maybe they price their coastal units a lot higher than other makes.
    Can only speculate as to why the Carrier dealer's quote on the Comfort series 3.5 ton heat pump was more than Trane XL20i 4 ton (from all three Trane dealers!). First, I think part of it is high overhead. The Carrier dealer is a BIG outfit, big warehouse, lots of office staff, plenty of trucks... as I drive around, invariably one of his trucks will pass me on the street. Second, Trane has a substantial "fall factory rebate" through the end of October. Third, the FPL energy efficiency rebate on the higher SEER Trane is more than twice the rebate on the lower SEER Carrier.

I can say that ductwork and other "upgrades" are definitely NOT a reason for a higher price on Carrier. He never considered ductwork (didn't look, didn't ask), and he's not pricing in the cost of moving the condenser about 12 feet and running new electric to the disconnect, as the Trane dealers are. The Trane dealers DID price in modifications to ductwork and dampering. Oh, and BTW, the Carrier is not a "special" coastal model!

Besides, the Carrier guy tried to fool me. He handed me the brochure on Performance series, but when I looked up the p/n of the equipment, it's at the bottom end of the Comfort series. Not sure I blame him, though. I think Carrier's naming scheme allows slight of hand switch-a-roonie gaming on the part of their d3ealers. Not liking Carrier!

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Joy View Post
    Well, as my daughter would say, "I'm over it!" I called this guy once again in an attempt to get an appointment, but his second promise to call me back was, again, broken. I even emailed him through a link on his website, to no avail.

Guess he's too busy giving out "FREE" comfort inspections. No problem, I've decided against his offering of Amana anyway. Within 15 minutes, I was able to make appointments with the two other Comfort Institute members in my county. Besides, he's only been in business since 2006, is not on Angie's list, and has no BBB rating. I wish him good luck in his business endeavor, but "I'm over it!"

What do you think about the Maytag line of heat pumps?
    The #2 dealer on the Comfort Institute website (a Maytag dealer) has scheduled a FREE In Home Comfort Evaluation for next week. They confirmed by telephone that if will take over 2 hours, they will use an airflow hood to measure cfms at the supply registers, and will do a blower door test, among other things, to find out what my house needs.... AND they will estimate the SOLUTION, including the A/C equipment. Can't wait!

The #3 Comfort Institute came out this morning. What a let-down! The guy was impressive in his "knowledge" and 25 years of experience, and he was impressed with my knowledge (thanks to ya'll in this discussion group!) so he quickly stopped talking down to me (ma'am) and started calling me by my first name and addressing MY questions, but.... he was trying to sell me on a 4.0 ton Lennox!

I was so disappointed and grilled him relentlessly as to how he KNEW 4.0 ton dual stage was the proper sizing. When I asked about load calc, he said "I've already done that in my head. It's based on my 25 years of experience. I can guarantee I'm right! It's based on your square footage and I can see how many sliding glass doors you have. 3.5 ton is right for a single compressor and you need to go up 1/2 ton for the dual-staged. Take my word for it!"

Then he described their company's "process" for insuring I got the right equipment. He said they estimate (as he's already done) the tonnage, then they install it, then they come out a week after they cash my check and do Manual J calculations to be sure they got it right. He said they're not willing to invest the money to do a load calc and then have me buy from someone else. I suggest perhaps they could quote several sizes and once I give them a down payment, they could do the load calc to be sure I get the right size. He said they just don't do it that way and HE'S NEVER BEEN WRONG ABOUT SIZE! I asked how he knew whether he'd ever been wrong or not, and he said, "25 years of experience."

I told him he could leave right now and I won't be buying from his company. He said wait a minute, wait a minute. He said he loved a challenge and he'd BET me a hundred dollar bill that 4.0 ton would be exactly what a load calc would show. I don't bet, but I said, "OK, prove it!"

He took some measurements, wrote down some insulation numbers, and took pictures with his iPad. He's going to have the "guy who does the Manual J" for his company run my numbers through the program. Should be interesting, but given his predisposition for being right all the time, not sure I can trust it.

Will compare with what I get next week from the 3rd, and last, Comfort Institute contractor in my area.

The #3 Comfort Institute came out this morning. What a let-down! The guy was impressive in his "knowledge" and 25 years of experience, and he was impressed with my knowledge (thanks to ya'll in this discussion group!) so he quickly stopped talking down to me (ma'am) and started calling me by my first name and addressing MY questions, but.... he was trying to sell me on a 4.0 ton Lennox!
    This guy also told me something about my return air filter grille that kind of contradicts what I've heard out here in this forum. He told me he'd take out my 20x20 grille and install a 20x24. I asked him how that could be adequate when the "standard" was 200 square inches per ton. He said that's not correct. The return needs to be at least the same size as the air handler intake, i.e., the size of the hole in the bottom of the a/h. Since the Lennox a/h intake is 20x24, that's the proper size of the filter grill.

Hmmmm.... 25 years of experience? Is he missing some criteria for RA filter grilles? Wouldn't they need to be BIGGER than a filter installed AT THE INTAKE (which is not possible in my situation)?

i also asked about dampers to reduce airflow in my "too cold" front bedroom that's close to the a/h. His solution? No problem, we'll put a supply grille in that room that you can open and close! Now, thanks to you all in this forum, I'm not falling for that! I already have an adjustable grille in that room, and it hasn't solved the problem!

And finally, I asked if they would hire the electrician to change the aluminum wire for a copper wire coming from my breaker box to the a/h. His first answer was, "Since your house was built with an aluminum whip to the a/h, there's no need to change it." His second answer was, "Our guy can change it if you want." I wouldn't let up, so his third and final answer was, "We'll hire an electrician to do that and it will cost you an additional $****.**"

This is SOOOOO frustrating!
    Last edited by Florida Joy; 08-22-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typos

That electrician better be a retired NSA engineer with a triple PHD that works for $500/hour and includes a white paper on the benefits of using copper vs. aluminum on that installation with details cost analysis and statistic risk analysis... then include precise metallurgy testing form at least 3 certified forensic labs to verify that he did indeed install copper.

Come on, I can have no less than 10 new electrical circuits in stranded wire run in PVC conduit from my basement to the outside of my house for 20' up to my attic and terminated in a junction box for <4 figures and connected to the new furnace and 2 existing circuits with the rest for spares. Licensed electricians aren't that expensive. Per hour, they are only slightly more than HVAC and comparable to master plumbers in my area.

And finally, I asked if they would hire the electrician to change the aluminum wire for a copper wire coming from my breaker box to the a/h. His first answer was, "Since your house was built with an aluminum whip to the a/h, there's no need to change it." His second answer was, "Our guy can change it if you want." I wouldn't let up, so his third and final answer was, "We'll hire an electrician to do that and it will cost you an additional $****.**"

This is SOOOOO frustrating!
    I pull wire, all the time. No big deal. The only time we bring in sparky, is if I can't figure out how to get a new wire somewhere.

The alluminum isn't THAT big of a deal. Some of us feel it's blown out of proportion.
    On the same token, Amana does not want alluminum wire attached to their units. Meaning we convert the alluminum to copper, then go to the unit. Or just pull all new wire.
    Provided the wire is attached at both ends correctly, I don't forsee a problem with the alluminum.

Whoever told you he would collect the check, and then do a manual J, is an idiot.
    Since he's going to guarantee you the load calc will match, I will also guarantee you it will match.
    Even if he has to munipulate the numbers. Which is quite easy.

So far, I like the maytag man.
    Except for all this free blower door testing. Thats a service you should be paying for.
    I don't think I've ever held a flow hood.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    That electrician better be a retired NSA engineer with a triple PHD that works for $500/hour and includes a white paper on the benefits of using copper vs. aluminum on that installation with details cost analysis and statistic risk analysis... then include precise metallurgy testing form at least 3 certified forensic labs to verify that he did indeed install copper.

Come on, I can have no less than 10 new electrical circuits in stranded wire run in PVC conduit from my basement to the outside of my house for 20' up to my attic and terminated in a junction box for <4 figures and connected to the new furnace and 2 existing circuits with the rest for spares. Licensed electricians aren't that expensive. Per hour, they are only slightly more than HVAC and comparable to master plumbers in my area.
    You're making me laugh, again! That's a good thing... relieves the stress of dealing with IDIOTS sitting at my dining room table!

When the dude told me what it would cost, I just said "let me write that down" and kept my mouth shut. What he didn't know was I'd already had the electrical work estimated (the part that Florida code requires be done by a licensed EC) and it was such a small amount that the HVAC contractor who quoted me on the Trane XL20i said he'd eat the cost and wouldn't charge me for the EC work, which WOULD BE PERMITTED separately, as required by code.! AND, his EC guy provided the HVAC contractor the cost based on an on-site evaluation of how complicated it will be to get new copper wiring through the hole in the wall, down and around the studs, and into the breaker box without tearing down the drywall in my laundry room.... not an easy task!

When the Comfort Institute tech looked at the wire from the a/h to the breaker box, he first said it didn't need to be changed (guess he didn't know Florida code), then he said his HVAC guy could change it, but he did comment that he wasn't sure how they'd be able to do it, going through the drywall and such. It wasn't until I insisted on an EC doing the work that he gave me the $xxxx.xx quote for electrical. I asked if he wouldn't need the EC to come estimate it? He said NO. When I asked how he knew how much the EC would charge, he said THAT'S WHAT THEY CHARGE. I gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    I pull wire, all the time. No big deal. The only time we bring in sparky, is if I can't figure out how to get a new wire somewhere.

The alluminum isn't THAT big of a deal. Some of us feel it's blown out of proportion.
    On the same token, Amana does not want alluminum wire attached to their units. Meaning we convert the alluminum to copper, then go to the unit.
    You're in Ohio? Florida code requires copper wire to AC components, installed by a licensed EC. Of course, they don't go around to your house and check to see if what you have already is up to code, BUT.... you won't pass a permit inspection on a new install if it's not copper. I suppose HVAC contractors get away with leaving it, or changing it without an EC license, all the time, but it's my house and if it burns because of the aluminum or unlicensed installation (after I spent several thousand to upgrade my panel, the main, and the meter box) it would be MY problem because I allowed it!

Whoever told you he would collect the check, and then do a manual J, is an idiot.
    Since he's going to guarantee you the load calc will match, I will also guarantee you it will match.
    EGGS..ACT..LEE!

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Well you being in s florida I imagine the work load on any contractor down there being huge, to do something properly you have to invest time and there are only so many hours in the day. My suggestion would be to call him again to set up an oppointment. Give him the benefit of doubt. It's free make sure he does it, if he does the test right you will learn so much about your home and how it works as a system. It really is an eye opening experience for a homeowner in many cases
    OK, I will!
    Well, I tried, but couldn't get him to shedule an appointment. Meanwhile, did some research on his company and him, as an individual. I guess it doesn't take much (maybe passing a test or paying a membership fee?) to get referred from the Comfort Institute website.

This company has NO standing on Angie's list, the BBB, or any city search or yelp or other rating site whatsoever. He incorporated in 2010, likely to avoid personal responsibility during bankruptcy. He works out of a rented stall in an industrial building on the outskirts of town. His home was foreclosed earlier this year and he's moved into an apartment. He has tickets for speeding, driving without insurance, driving on a suspended license, and a number of other run-ins with county law enforcement and small claims court. You'd be amazed at what you can discover from searching official records under the "Government in the Sunshine" laws that were enacted in Florida many, many years ago!

And I posted how the 2nd Comfort Institute referral went when the guy actually came to my house.

But, I'm keeping an open mind and hoping for better results from the last company on the list when they come out next Tuesday.

Well, I tried, but couldn't get him to shedule an appointment. Meanwhile, did some research on his company and him, as an individual. I guess it doesn't take much (maybe passing a test or paying a membership fee?) to get referred from the Comfort Institute website.

This company has NO standing on Angie's list, the BBB, or any city search or yelp or other rating site whatsoever. He incorporated in 2010, likely to avoid personal responsibility during bankruptcy. He works out of a rented stall in an industrial building on the outskirts of town. His home was foreclosed earlier this year and he's moved into an apartment. He has tickets for speeding, driving without insurance, driving on a suspended license, and a number of other run-ins with county law enforcement and small claims court. You'd be amazed at what you can discover from searching official records under the "Government in the Sunshine" laws that were enacted in Florida many, many years ago!

And I posted how the 2nd Comfort Institute referral went when the guy actually came to my house.

But, I'm keeping an open mind and hoping for better results from the last company on the list when they come out next Tuesday.
    Yea I wouldn't want that guy in my house. Hopefully the last guy will do the process properly. It sounds like he will, But who knows

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Yea I wouldn't want that guy in my house. Hopefully the last guy will do the process properly. It sounds like he will, But who knows
    And it sounds like the 2nd guy didn't do anything other than use rule of thumb to give you a quote.

So far, I like the maytag man.
    Except for all this free blower door testing. Thats a service you should be paying for.
    I don't think I've ever held a flow hood.
    Maytag distributor (Comfort Institute referral) will be here on Tuesday to provide their FREE (until Dec 31) 25th Anniversary Special "100% Whole House Comfort Evaluation", including all the testing I mentioned earlier. Can't wait to see the results and review what they'll try to sell me.

To my surprise, the Lennox tech that came to my house (IDIOT that he is) actually had the "load calculation guy" in his company's main office do the Manual J for my home. I'll post it in a new thread for ya'll to review and advise.

Thanks to the helpers in this forum for keeping my head out of the sand (as much as I DO love the beach)! LOL

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast