Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Joy View Post
    Didn't mean to scare him.... I was laughing when I said it.... just wanted to keep him honest... just in case he was imagining he'd get over on an old lady and make some quick cash... which I told him I didn't expect to be the case.
    Well you being in s florida I imagine the work load on any contractor down there being huge, to do something properly you have to invest time and there are only so many hours in the day. My suggestion would be to call him again to set up an oppointment. Give him the benefit of doubt. It's free make sure he does it, if he does the test right you will learn so much about your home and how it works as a system. It really is an eye opening experience for a homeowner in many cases

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Well you being in s florida I imagine the work load on any contractor down there being huge, to do something properly you have to invest time and there are only so many hours in the day. My suggestion would be to call him again to set up an oppointment. Give him the benefit of doubt. It's free make sure he does it, if he does the test right you will learn so much about your home and how it works as a system. It really is an eye opening experience for a homeowner in many cases
    OK, I will!

OK, I will!
    If you do go with the Amana ASZC18, tell them exactly these words:

"Take the nuts that hold the fan to the shroud off, and replace them with REAL 3/8 stainless steel nuts."

We've had to many fans fall off the shroud, due to the type of nut that is used, and replace the nuts on every 18 seer unit before they get sent out on an install.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    If you do go with the Amana ASZC18, tell them exactly these words:

"Take the nuts that hold the fan to the shroud off, and replace them with REAL 3/8 stainless steel nuts."

We've had to many fans fall off the shroud, due to the type of nut that is used, and replace the nuts on every 18 seer unit before they get sent out on an install.
    Has this defect been reported to Amana? Seems like they'd fix their QC at the factory after "too many" warranty claims from dealers because of the fan falling off.

Do you have any knowledge about the "fine print" in the Amana warranty and/or lifetime replacement guarantee for compressor failure? Specifically, does it exclude units that have evidence of corrosion? That's a standard fine print exclusion on most units, or so I've been told.

If corrosion is excluded, does Amana offer a Coastal warranty like Trane does that covers unit failures where there is evidence of corrosion? .

Thumbs down Time to move on

,,,, but hasn't called me back to confirm an appointment yet. He established rapport with me by talking on the phone for over 20 minutes, first about Amana, then about "personal" stuff.... he's retired military (civil engineering) and we have some work history in common. I'll give him until tomorrow afternoon before I write him off!
    I suspect that based on his e x p e r i e n c e s he will address structural issues as a higher priority than most customers wish.

I'd give him until y e s t e r d a y afternoon to respond.
    ___ Just consider the 20 minutes as lost time or Lesson LEARNED.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Has this defect been reported to Amana? Seems like they'd fix their QC at the factory after "too many" warranty claims from dealers because of the fan falling off.

Do you have any knowledge about the "fine print" in the Amana warranty and/or lifetime replacement guarantee for compressor failure? Specifically, does it exclude units that have evidence of corrosion? That's a standard fine print exclusion on most units, or so I've been told.

If corrosion is excluded, does Amana offer a Coastal warranty like Trane does that covers unit failures where there is evidence of corrosion? .
    It has been reported to amana. No fix, as of yet.
    Unfortunetly, it only happens in unusual situations. Duel-fuel gas furance/heat pump systems mostly. The heat pump doesn't run when it gets real cold out. It's cold out, so if it rains, it sleets/snows. Ice builds up on the fan blades (weight). Then things get warmer, heat pump tries to run with the extra weight on the fan blade, and it breaks.

As far as corrosion evidence:
    I would say that the corrosion is only going to effect the outdoor coil, not the compressor.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

I suggest XL20, we are a Trane dealer and used to also install Goodman/Amana. Goodman has now gone to aluminum evaporator coils, but I can see no reason to go with a ASZC even if price was a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney28334 View Post
    I suggest XL20, we are a Trane dealer and used to also install Goodman/Amana. Goodman has now gone to aluminum evaporator coils, but I can see no reason to go with a ASZC even if price was a concern.
    Thanks! I appreciate your advice as a technician who works for an actual, real world, installation contractor! I wasn't aware that Amana was using aluminum evaporator coils. What about the coils in the outside unit? I understand Trane to be the only mfg using aluminum "spin fin" coils to reduce corrosion.... which is a BIG consideration in my area.

Thanks! I appreciate your advice as a technician who works for an actual, real world, installation contractor! I wasn't aware that Amana was using aluminum evaporator coils. What about the coils in the outside unit? I understand Trane to be the only mfg using aluminum "spin fin" coils to reduce corrosion.... which is a BIG consideration in my area.

Most manufacturers have switched or are switching to aluminum coils to combat two issues that plauge the industry, Formicary Corrosion, and Dirty Sock Syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Most manufacturers have switched or are switching to aluminum coils to combat two issues that plauge the industry, Formicary Corrosion, and Dirty Sock Syndrome.
    Thanks! I didn't know that! I would seriously consider other manufacturers if I can get quotes on units that have already been redesigned to use aluminum coils.... and that also offer the Coastal extended warranty where corrosion doesn't void the warranty.

I know that Carrier, in their Infinity line specifically makes a regular and coastal version of their condenser units FWIM. I don't know their construction differences.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I know that Carrier, in their Infinity line specifically makes a regular and coastal version of their condenser units FWIM. I don't know their construction differences.
    Thanks for your input on Carrier Infinity! Too expensive for me. I've received several quotes on their mid-level Comfort line, and even those were out of my price range. LOL

Thanks for your input on Carrier Infinity! Too expensive for me. I've received several quotes on their mid-level Comfort line, and even those were out of my price range. LOL
    The midrange equipment shouldn't cost much more. Makes me woner if that contractor was just high, or he was planning on doing more "work". Meaning more changes to ductwork. Traditonally, Trane XLi series is the most expensive next to Infinity. Carrier Performance and Comfort series should fall inline with midrange and upper end equipment from other makes. But maybe they price their coastal units a lot higher than other makes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast