Thread: Amer. Std. / Trane condensor coil guard issue.

Post Likes

Amer. Std. / Trane condensor coil guard issue.

I have an Amer. Std. Heritage 15 heat pump that has started to develop quite an annoying noise. The outdoor metal front louvered condensor coil guard is vibrating slightly back and forth when the fan is on. It is definitely because of the air flow not the compressor. The left,right and rear covers do not vibrate at all. If I press on the cover in the middle of course the noise will stop. Has anyone ever seen this before? If so is there a fix? Service bulletin?

Post Likes
    Tighten the screws?

Post Likes
    cork insulation tape

Post Likes
    Yes, all screws verified: nice and tight.

Post Likes
    How did you tighten them? Did you use a screw gun? Seen many sheet metal screws striped out that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Verified by hand to make sure they were snug. The issue is it is vibrating directly in the middle. I noticed it is hitting a black stand off. Also I noticed these stand offs are located on three sides except the inspection side. They look as if they are used to prevent the metal guard from crushing the spine fins. Anyone know about these plastic standoffs?

Post Likes
    The coil is not as close on the control side do standoffs are not necessary on that side. It is pretty common for coil guards to make a racket. I thought the service guy was the only person it irritated. Usually I just "tweak it" til it stops. Don't know how long my " tweak lasts but it's long enough for me to move on to the next one

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclev View Post
    Verified by hand to make sure they were snug. The issue is it is vibrating directly in the middle. I noticed it is hitting a black stand off. Also I noticed these stand offs are located on three sides except the inspection side. They look as if they are used to prevent the metal guard from crushing the spine fins. Anyone know about these plastic standoffs?
    I follow you now. Try placing some foam tape on the standoffs. That should stop them from vibrating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in