Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm

I am 35 yrs old and thinking of going into the buisness... Considering HVAC/R certification course.... Can anyone give me some pointers? I really want to know the ups and downs and is it worth it? I want a career that will be worth it. What's is the least I shoud make starting out as a cert. HVAC/R?

have you ever done this work before????????????

I was self employed and I have installed many a/c units...But for the last couple of years I have been a service tech and work on small projects. (coffee machines, water filtrations systems)

Ben there..Done that......The next time...I will stick my manly hood in a salad shooter, It won't hurt as much.
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

so, would you say this is not a wise career move on my part?

Originally posted by smboyte
    I am 35 yrs old and thinking of going into the buisness... Considering HVAC/R certification course.... Can anyone give me some pointers? I really want to know the ups and downs and is it worth it? I want a career that will be worth it. What's is the least I shoud make starting out as a cert. HVAC/R?
    Like any other career, this job has its ups and downs.

On the up side, you are able repair disabled equipment - that alone is rewarding. There will always be a need for service technicians, so this industry offers job security. The pay is above average so you can make a comfortable living if you choose to. Typically the company you work for supplies a company vehicle for your use to and from work.

The down side includes long hours away from your family during the heat of the summer and dead of winter. You will most likely be "on-call" which means you will have to give up your personal life during that time. Frustration and stress can get to you if you let it - not every service call is slam dunk. Long hours, and hard physical labor tends to adversely affect ones body.

Alot of guys b1tch about the job but I think very few would choose a different line of work - it gets in your blood.

In response to wage.......it all depends on what area of the world you live and who you work for.

Markettech

You forgot the Insurance man (Workman’s comp & Liability) State & Federal tax man and all the other partners that get paid first, Even when its slow.

Smboyte
    Take some business courses before you jump into the shallow end of the pool.

You're right - when I looked at the title of the topic I was thinking he wanted to start a business but after reading the post it sounded more like getting into the trade in general was the goal.

Oh man, don't get me started on running a business with no knowledge of the industry

right, here! in the heartland of the homeland!

Red face I say JUMP!

if you can sell, do it!
    IF you can Repair, do it!
    IF you can invoice, and keep records of receipts, for taxes, and business expenses , DO IT!
    If you have all the equipment, and service Vehicle set up, DO it!
    IF not, DONT DO IT!

i tried to go into business once ,it was a messenger service,
    i was already an expert in the trade , driving from point A to point B.

just from talking about it i made a contact with a REAL messenger service who wanted to set up a partnership from Las Vegas to LA.

i placed an ad in the Yellow Pages , i printed and passed out flyers with discounted rates to companies who heavily use those services, and i was ready to start rollin'.

NO BODY CALLED except telemarketers, and some lady who wanted to know alot of suspicious information about what i was doing as a business.
    ...oh , and some lady that wanted me to run errands for her for nothing.

the first real offer i had was 7 months later , i was already out of business, the caller was City Hall
    ...with some cheap job.

the only thing that saved my ass was that i had nothing invested in it.

i lost a couple of thousand , the whole thing was funny.

if i don't have a good job, then i might try it again with AC , but i wouldn't even consider it until i have 5 good years of experience.

i was still getting a call every now and then , and my ad hadn't been in the paper for over 2 years

[Edited by wolfstrike on 09-16-2006 at 12:00 AM]

yeah ur right about vegas!

so what do you do now, Wolf?

i got hired at a company that is suppose to be good.

supposidly i'm making 15 per hour
    (not time for my first check yet)
    (long story)

supposidly the AC techs make around $20.

the problem is , i'm not doing anything AC related,

they have me painting , picking up trash, and other terrible things,
    (their employees are just sitting around)
    (and there is a downed unit and 4 leaking swamp coolers on their roof)

i think this whole thing is a scam , i think i'll just be doing hard maintenence until probation , then i'll be let go.

i don't know what to do , and there's nothing i can do because no one is hiring and my bills are late.

wolf-strike

If i were you, i'd start getting some resumes and or applications and meetings set up, with other companies!
    or get a good understanding with them of what your duties and things are to be? did they tell you what your job entailed from the beginning?
    sounds like they, may have some dirty work that needs to be done , or they feel youre not ready and want to check ur skills and attitude, who knows, it sounds to me like theyre
    using you to get some other things they needed to get done who knows what they have in store, does it seem like they are giving the other work away to the other employees, or does it seem like their slow and are giving the work available to the most qualified?
    they coudl be doing this because , its slow,and they might be planning to keep you, until it gets busy or they got some contracts coming up, or theyre going to get busy soon, when it picks up for winter?
    you should be able to tell soon, time will tell,
    have a few eggs in your other basket!
    and also ask them and see what their answer and the way they respond, ask some former employees, about them, and or the supply house, if they heard anything or know anybody thats worked for them before , tel them that youre new and you want to know if theyre an okay company to work for or if they heard any complaints?
    check around, but becareful, some might be related or friends, tread lightly , and maintenance man is better than being unemployed?
    fo r now, unless youre uncomfortable,and its unbearable? and you didnt go to school to ba slave or tool carrier,and ride-along, show your iniative and work, repair and troubleshoot, the units that need it, take it upon yourself if need be to express, some personal concern, and mechanical aptitude!
    a get it done guy is better than a guy that just mopes around and complains, volnteer those skills on a sample for the Company, if they appreciate it and or are advantageous it will show, if they care that will also, be seen!
    Time will tell and all good will prevail!
    because you cant keep a good man down, all that hard work and efforts pays off, sooner or later!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast