Hybrid View

Details on these Home AC units?

Hi HVAC Talk,

Can someone please help decipher the tonnage, SEER, and age of the three units shown here? I'm looking at a house built in 2001. I just had to replace my AC units on my current house (built in 1996). So I understand just how expensive it can be to replace the AC system. Thanks for your help.

In case the image attachments don't show up.

Serial: 1701E22516
    Model: 38BRC024310

Serial: 1601E18649
    Model: 38BRC042330

Serial: didn't capture
    Model: 38BRC048350

Name:  IMG_1094.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  50.4 KBName:  IMG_1095.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  91.7 KBName:  IMG_1132.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  67.9 KBName:  IMG_1133.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  45.5 KBName:  IMG_1134.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  55.4 KB

I have the 3 ton model of the same A/C 12SEER unit. Mine is a 1999 model, your should be close to that age and probably the same SEER. Yours looks like 3.5 & 4 ton models.

Yes, 12 SEER builder models. 2, 3.5 and 4 are correct. Biggest issue of Carriers from that vintage is indoor coil leaks. The outdoor units tend not to cause much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Yes, 12 SEER builder models. 2, 3.5 and 4 are correct. Biggest issue of Carriers from that vintage is indoor coil leaks. The outdoor units tend not to cause much trouble.
    I think mine has a small leak in the evap coil. Had to recharge last week, but it was the 1st time since the system was installed. If the evap coil is leaking I'll probably just put in a whole new system. BaldLoonie where have you found the leak points on the evap coils?

Nobody looks. If detector squeals, bad coil. In the past usually where the copper enters the tube sheet.

Thanks both. So they're likely the original units installed during construction (2001). What's the average life on ac? 15-18 years?

Also, what's the fix to a leaky coil? The fact I have to ask this question leads me to belief it involves someone that knows what the hell they're doing to diagnose and fix.

Quote Originally Posted by tahoeatx16 View Post
    Thanks both. So they're likely the original units installed during construction (2001). What's the average life on ac? 15-18 years?

Also, what's the fix to a leaky coil? The fact I have to ask this question leads me to belief it involves someone that knows what the hell they're doing to diagnose and fix.
    The fix is a new coil installed by an a hvac contractor, or a whole new system but that decision is up to you