anemometer anyone?

I just picked up an anemometer to measure wind velocity.
    I don't know how accurate it is but I was thinking it might be an easy & quick way to get a ballpark CFM measurement by sticking it in the return. Just wondering if any guys use one out there & how well they work.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    look for Jim Bergmans u tube vids, he has one for the testo 416 and another for the new fieldpeice hot wire.

good info..
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

I have the fieldpiece hot wire. It works great.

Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    I just picked up an anemometer to measure wind velocity.
    I don't know how accurate it is but I was thinking it might be an easy & quick way to get a ballpark CFM measurement by sticking it in the return. Just wondering if any guys use one out there & how well they work.
    I've been looking at these as well. Not for HVAC use, but for measuring airflow on refrigerated cases. Did you buy the Kestrel or a different brand? Review? What do you think of it?

The one I got is an el-cheapo & it doesn't have any probes so you have to hold the whole thing in the air stream.
    I tried just sticking it inside the return grill? I got between 300 & 460 fpm so I averaged it out to 380 fpm.
    The actual duct opening was 23 x 17.5 so it calculated out to 1062 cfm's without the filter. The unit is 2.5 ton at my house & we put all new ductwork in about 10 years ago. I designed the system for 1050 cfm's at .1 supply static & .05 return & I don't think I ever checked the actual static pressure. Hey, its my own house & all I know is its beer can cold.
    Gary
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I've been looking at these as well. Not for HVAC use, but for measuring airflow on refrigerated cases. Did you buy the Kestrel or a different brand? Review? What do you think of it?
    Mine is definitely not the professional one for HVAC or refrigeration work. Its some brand X I got it off ebay for next to nothing. I wouldn't trust it yet until I play around with it a little more. I wasn't planning on using it for precision work but for quick ballpark tests like seeing if cleaning the coils changes the velocity out of the registers. I might consider getting the Testo or Fieldpiece in the future but for now this is just an experiment.
    Gary
    -----------

I use an Amprobe TMA-20HW Hot Wire Anemometer. The vane anemometers work well too, and much easier to carry in your tool bag for a quick ballpark measurement.

If you have a bike with a speedometer, MPH = FPM/88, so 360 FPM = 4.1 MPH. Just don't let anyone see you checking your anemometer using your bike.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6197050_cali...eedometer.html