Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    If it's 64 degrees outside just open the window if you're hot.
    Yes, I know that. That's not the point. The point is my a/c isn't working. But thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    A leak search and repair could cost lots of money. If it only took a pound of refrigerant, while he should have offered a leak search and repair, most homeowners will opt to just charge with refrigerant once a year because it only costs X amount while leak search and repair can cost XYZ amount
    Thank you jtrammel. He put in 2 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by redwingchick View Post
    Your system may have a slow leak and the contractor accidentally left a leak on valve stem which made the refrigerant leak out faster or you have a large leak on the system. The problem that you have now may be completely unrelated to the charge.

You need to have a proper leak check done and when the cause of the leak is found, then you can have it fixed or if it's large enough (like a leaking coil) you can make the decision then.
    If the contractor you had didn't explain you have a leak and the fact that nobody knows how long it will take to leak out, shame on him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

The ONLY real assistance we can offer here is to offer a path in searching for a different RELIABLE contractor.
    Where do you live?
    Or search the contractor list here?
    See post #8.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

The only thing your contractor is guilty off is not telling you clearly that he did not look for the leak or fixed the leak.
    When I have not seen a system before, I normally always just charge up the system to see how quick it will leak out. It can take a day or it can be years.
    Your contractor can not know how large the leak is. Now, when you call him back, he will know and he will have to see, if he can fix the leak or you need a new AC.

WOW! I can't believe some of you, maybe because I do only commercial, I don't "gas and go". It is actually against our companys policy. We may put off a leak check, but we always return to do one. It's part of a service call.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Supermarket Tech...and anything else the boss finds for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Txvman View Post
    WOW! I can't believe some of you, maybe because I do only commercial, I don't "gas and go". It is actually against our companys policy. We may put off a leak check, but we always return to do one. It's part of a service call.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    This is residential not commercial.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

My husband seems to think the guy just didn't want to test for a leak and grab the money and go and I tend to agree because how do you lose that much freon in a month. Can someone help me out?
    Someone needs to at least verify if there is a leak, and fix it.

Sent from my DELL Desktop using Comcast.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

The guy comes in and says the a/c was "running at high compression and the refrigerant had been pushed into the valves"
    Is this exactly what he said, or is this your understanding of what he said? Something may be lost in translation, here.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-20-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: non aop member

Too Funny. HVAC service 101, How to Make Money. Find and repair the problem.

BMartin9000

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast