Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation I Think My A/CContractor Ripped Me off--Help!

About a month or so ago our central air stopped blowing cold and stopped cycling so it was running 24/7 and not cooling the house down. We called a local company and they came out. The replaced my filter which I had just ordered but hadn't changed yet and then checked my system. The guy comes in and says the a/c was "running at high compression and the refrigerant had been pushed into the valves" so he gave me charge. Cost me $$$$bucks for the service call and the refrigerant. Ok, so it's blowing cold. My husband was away on business and when he got home I told him what the guy said. He researched it and says the guy is full of crap. Fast forward to now, it's 64 degrees outside last evening and my a/c is not cycling, no blowing cold and the house won't go below 77. So the $$$$ bucks I spent has obviously been wasted. Can someone please tell me if what this guy told me holds water? My husband seems to think the guy just didn't want to test for a leak and grab the money and go and I tend to agree because how do you lose that much freon in a month. Can someone help me out?
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-19-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Pricing

Gas and GO!

So did the magic fairy steal the Refer out of the system?
    when refer hits the valves Bad things happen like compressor is shot. From what you said it doesn't sound like a fllod back but a leak that he topped up and was big enough to leak back out very fast.

Call him back and ask if he can fix it PROPERLY

Quote Originally Posted by redwingchick View Post
    The guy comes in and says the a/c was "running at high compression and the refrigerant had been pushed into the valves" so he gave me charge..
    Well he should get the Willis Haviland Carrier award for originality, I have never heard this one in 32 years. but I am from Texas, the farther north you get, some of the terminology changes.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Well he should get the Willis Haviland Carrier award for originality, I have never heard this one in 32 years. but I am from Texas, the farther north you get, some of the terminology changes.
    Ya you wouldn't its a Northern thing up in Detriot,NY Toronto where it gets cold right cause flood back LOL

Did he sell you a fan cycling unit to prevent that from happening again?
    Make sure he sets it right so the compression is Perfect don't wanna ruin those vavels

$$$$ sounds like a deal for charging a system. He should have informed you that it WILL leak out again. I always give customer option to pay for leak search vs "topping off". Sometimes customer prefers to just do the quick fix. All acording on how much refrigerant he had to add. Sounds like it was more than the allowable yearly leakage.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-19-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: pricing

Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    $$$$ sounds like a deal for charging a system. He should have informed you that it WILL leak out again. I always give customer option to pay for leak search vs "topping off". Sometimes customer prefers to just do the quick fix. All acording on how much refrigerant he had to add. Sounds like it was more than the allowable yearly leakage.
    What allowable yearly leakage this is not a commercial unit.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-19-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: pricing

Econobomical allowable yearly leakage I presume. With the cost of 22 soon less than a # a year is not going to be economical. We are gonna have to start finding and fixing the slow leakers soon if not now

About a month or so ago our central air stopped blowing cold and stopped cycling so it was running 24/7 and not cooling the house down. We called a local company and they came out. The replaced my filter which I had just ordered but hadn't changed yet and then checked my system. The guy comes in and says the a/c was "running at high compression and the refrigerant had been pushed into the valves" so he gave me charge. Cost me $$$$ bucks for the service call and the refrigerant. Ok, so it's blowing cold. My husband was away on business and when he got home I told him what the guy said. He researched it and says the guy is full of crap. Fast forward to now, it's 64 degrees outside last evening and my a/c is not cycling, no blowing cold and the house won't go below 77. So the $$$$ bucks I spent has obviously been wasted. Can someone please tell me if what this guy told me holds water? My husband seems to think the guy just didn't want to test for a leak and grab the money and go and I tend to agree because how do you lose that much freon in a month. Can someone help me out?
    You want us to get you the judge and 13 juries to settle this case.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-19-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    You want us to get you the judge and 13 juries to settle this case.
    What does that mean?

If it's 64 degrees outside just open the window if you're hot.

Can someone please tell me if what this guy told me holds water? My husband seems to think the guy just didn't want to test for a leak and grab the money and go and I tend to agree because how do you lose that much freon in a month. Can someone help me out?
    if you are quoting him exactly then what he said is not accurate.

He didn't test for a leak, thats not horrible. its what we call gas and go and it happens. he should have offered a leak test. how much freon did he add.

if you lost it that quick then you have a bad leak

Sent from my MID7012 using Tapatalk 2

A leak search and repair could cost lots of money. If it only took a pound of refrigerant, while he should have offered a leak search and repair, most homeowners will opt to just charge with refrigerant once a year because it only costs X amount while leak search and repair can cost XYZ amount

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast