Thread: Outdoor Heat Pump Runs after inside unit turns off

Post Likes

Outdoor Heat Pump Runs after inside unit turns off

Hi All,

Heat Pump -
    Outdoor Rudd ~13 yrs
    Indoor Rheem ~2 yrs

I noticed a few weeks ago that my indoor coils were icing up/frosting over. I called a tech who noticed that I had too many vents closed and also cleaned my outdoor coils. I also replaced with a new filter. My house both before and after would cool very well except when frosted. I also informed the tech that it seemed like there was still liquid flowing when the inside unit was off. He responded that this may just be normal cycling. This only seemed to happen when the indoor coils were frosted. Tech also checked all contacts and temps and said the unit is in perfect working order. Fast forward a week and no real change. Tech returned with no idea of the problem and decided to try increasing the speed of the indoor blower. This worked fine for a few days. Fast forward a week and then I noticed that the outdoor unit would not turn off and the only way I could get it off was to use the breaker. Tech came and fixed the contactor which was burnt. Unfortunately this still didn't fix the original problem but got it working again. As this story continues I've been paying more attention and I have noticed that there are times when the thermostat will click on and both the indoor and outdoor unit turn on and blow nice cold air. The indoor unit will turn off/stop blowing when the temperature is reached but the outside unit continues to run and will eventually turn off. I timed it once and it was about 45 minutes. The outdoor unit will turn off if I use the thermostat. The two units sometimes work in sync and sometimes the outdoor unit stays on. This then leads to the indoor coils frosting up.

I've searched online with no ideas and am reluctant to call the same company back but would hate to call another person if this is truly not a hard problem to solve. Welcome any thoughts or ideas. I'm handy and can use a voltmeter if needed. Other info that may or may not be of interest I purchased and installed a new programmable thermostat about a year ago.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Model # of heat pump and air handler?

Post Likes
    Your tech needs to focus on the indoor blower motor and low voltage wire connections .

Post Likes
    Rudd upka-030jaz
    Carrier fb4cnf030

Post Likes
    The big question to ask the installer, how does he know the right size piston for the Ruud heat pump is installed in the Carrier air handler? I'd think the best solution with this mismatched setup of efficiency and brand is having an R22 expansion valve installed.

Post Likes
    Did the problem start when new stat was installed?

Post Likes
    I am in agreement with socotech, I would be looking at the reason why there is low voltage to the contacter. You need to tell the technician about the condensing unit running after the indoor unit has shut off, so they can focus on the low voltage connections.

Post Likes
    The problem appears to be with the blower motor shutting down before the t-stat satisfies.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-19-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Non AOP member

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    The problem appears to be with the blower motor shutting down before the t-stat satisfies.
    The wiring is likely loosed up from filter changes, is the control panel is mounted the blower?

Post Likes
    Hello fellow Star employee

Post Likes
    Your first post says that the indoor unit is a Rheem.
    Doug

Post Likes
    I am in agreement others that said its the indoor motor. could a bad indoor motor capacitor, or bad bearings
    a stupid question is a question you wont to ask, but don't

Post Likes
    I could be many things from thermostat, control board, wiring, connections, motor, batteries or any of another half dozen items.

unfortunately if it does not happen when a tech is there it comes down to the best educated guess based on the HO input and/or visual clues.

if you have this happen again try turning the thermostat from cool to off, if you have not already, or remove it from the base plate on the wall.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    jkbass79

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in