Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Please stop defending waterfurnace actions. The analogy you are makeing does not ring true when you look at their corporate setup. They have listed prefered installers that leads the consumer to beleive that they are the best cause WF is reffering them. If a bad one slips through I think WF is culpable to clean up the mess they stuck the customer with.

If they changed their marketing strategy from the amway model to more common distribution methods like other widget makers, I would feel differently. In the end the customer is screwed and sees no way to resolution short of a complete tear out. Sad.
    Eric
    Eric Sackett
    weberwelldrilling.com
    Delta P= 8 ATA
    www.youtube.com/weberwelldrilling

Goldfinch,

We are sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience with your WaterFurnace equipment, and would like to look into your concerns further. Please provide your model and serial numbers, as well as the name of the contractor you are working with. If you do not wish to post this information publicly, please feel free to send us a private message.

WaterFurnace International, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by waterpirate View Post

If they changed their marketing strategy from the amway model to more common distribution methods
    Hi first post but have been reading about geothermal here for awhile this place has some really valuable info

What do you mean by Amway model?
    I am having a contractor come give me a estimate this week I picked the contractor off the Waterfurnace website
    He is a GeoPro certified contractor
    Wouldnt that be a more qualified installer?

JohnGuc,

As with anyone you hire to perform work, we always suggest that you contact the Better Business Bureau and request references from the contractor.

I'm with the OP on this. She tried to allow Waterfurnace to do the right thing, but they failed miserably. This is why I do as much as possible myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGuc View Post
    Hi first post but have been reading about geothermal here for awhile this place has some really valuable info

What do you mean by Amway model?
    I am having a contractor come give me a estimate this week I picked the contractor off the Waterfurnace website
    He is a GeoPro certified contractor
    Wouldnt that be a more qualified installer?
    Please do not get me wrong, I do not have any axe to grind with WF just an observation about marketing. Their product is only available to their dealers and their distributors. I get that. The problem is that like a lot of other products that are marketed that way, the assumption is that the guy on the "oficial list" is the end all to end all. That is my problem. It implies that WF backs the individual guy and has checked them out. That is not the case. The horror stories are few and far between, but when the consumer goes back to corporate for resolution, they find out the guy is just some guy who passed a test and that was it. There is no culpability.

Your geo projects success lies fully with the installer. The machine takes a back seat to the skill and experiance of your installer. You must do your due dillegance when selecting a installer. Getting their name off the WF list is not a substitute for your homework, just a good start.

Their participation on the internet, allthough a step in the right direction to soften their image up a little bit it sounds like you are talking to their legal dept. Flat canned response, allways the same, and comes off more as " spin/damage control" than genuine help or concern.

Just MHO nothing more.
    Eric
    Eric Sackett
    weberwelldrilling.com
    Delta P= 8 ATA
    www.youtube.com/weberwelldrilling

+1 on isntallation. We have dozens of water soruce heat pumps at my workplace. Many are in terrible environments yet they all run reliably. Some of the larger commerical units date back to the 1960's on their original compressor and coil.

However, most all of ours are open loop on city water. No circulation pump, plenty of flow and pressure and have flow regulating valves on them. If you have compressor problems, I'm immediately thinking that something is wrong on the water side, not the compressor itself.

Goethermal systems are a little like if you bought a conventional split system but the condenser was just a slab coil connected to a compressor and you had to provide the fan and enclosure to move air across it.

Well so far the contractor Im looking at seems to check out
    BBB looks good A+ no complaints(0) for a while that would seem rare even for a Good contractor
    Their own website shows theyve been in business for about 30 years
    Geo since 1985 they are even a loop installer
    Plan to ask for references
    Hoping they give me a detailed design instead of just copying size I had
    That would give me more confidence
    Im in Ohio interested if they have had coil failures here
    Seem to be a lot in Fla
    I dont need any new equipement drama

Just a heads up,
    BBB is joke nowadays, it nothing more than a place for homeowners to complain. It's not the reputable organization it used to be.
    Asking a company for references is a false sense of security, no company will ever send you a reference from a unhappy customer! They will always forward the contact info from customers who loved them!
    Your best bet is find somebody who you know personally or professionally who has worked with this company in the past for a true evaluation of a company.

All Valid points Ive even seen the BBB faults youve mentioned with another contractor had an A+ rating
    But had job go south on him He did try to make it right but failed
    So BBB isnt perfect but expect it would weed out the total bums
    Unfortunately everyone I have talked to that had Geo around me has has it 15 plus years and dont even know the installer
    Their houses were bought with it already installed
    So Im somewhat limited in vetting him
    Mostly going to use the info learned here to see if he trys blows smoke up my leg

Quote Originally Posted by WF_Inc View Post
    Goldfinch,

We are sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience with your WaterFurnace equipment, and would like to look into your concerns further. Please provide your model and serial numbers, as well as the name of the contractor you are working with. If you do not wish to post this information publicly, please feel free to send us a private message.

I replied to this yesterday, but for some reason it didn't get posted.

I have an AT040 (I believe, it was supposed to be an AT045) and an AT019 which is where the problem is. I can't get to that unit because of where it's located, but as far as I know that's what was specified in the contract and I believe that is what is installed.

I actually had just changed to a new contractor, HVAC by JM who, for the first time, I actually felt good about the technician. But whether they still are is debatable. When I called about the problem Miles came out. This was on July 26. After looking at the unit he asked to see the pump for it. I showed him my pump. He said "No, I mean the pump for the upstairs unit". I explained that the one pump is the only one I have. He looked at the pump, looked at me, looked back at the pump and started mumbling over and over "This is a new one on me, I've never seen this before". He was visibly stunned. He said he was going to leave and give the unit time to cool down, but would come back the next day (July 27) and try to get it started. He never returned nor called. I finally called him on August 2nd. He said that he had been slammed, but would try to stop by on that Sunday. I've never heard from him since and it's been just shy of a month now. I'm certain that when he left my house that he called his WF contact, who told him that there's bad problem with me and to stay away, which he's done. So I really don't have anyone I'm working with now.

wow thats terrible if they are really blackballing you with your contractors
    Definitely making me rethink waterfurnace

Had what I think to be a strange experience with the contractor that was to come out and give me an estimate today on Geo

When he got there he was pretty much trying to talk me out of it in favor of a more efficient air to air heat pump then what I had
    And going with all electric heat pump including backup heat
    Kept trying to steer him back to Geo but really seemed to want me to twist his arm basically
    Problem is they are most likely the best installer in my area

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast