Does HVAC make sense?

Good afternoon, I was in the Army for 10 years and got out about 2 years ago I did a really crappy job transitioning to civilian life and got 2 DUIs and a couple driving on a suspended licensce tickets.. I have gotten myself together but I am still looking at another 2-3 years of suspension with 2 years of the interlock device after that..

I was thinking about going to school for HVAC but with my crappy driving record and suspension would I just be wasting my time going to school for HVAC?

FYI: I was in the Infantry in the Army so I didn't get any training in HVAC in the Army.. Any advise would be appreciated.. Thanks.

HVAC might not be the right fit for you, most HVAC companies want people with clean driving records because it helps them minimize risk. Lower risk = less accidents which = lower insurance. I know DUI's don't show poor driving skills but it can be an indicator of poor judgement. Please don't take my post the wrong way, it's only my opinion, but I just got a new job and my driving record was checked and I had to take a company issued driving course followed by a company road test.
    Best of luck to you and thanks for serving our country!

You could work HVAC construction, pipefitting and sheetmetal, lots of guys in your situation work there, forget about driving a company vehicle for at least 10 years after the last conviction. give your local fitters union a call, they cater to former soldiers and veterans.

The most important license you can get is the one you already have, before you even start school.

Yes - Go for it.

The previous poster is right - most companies want people with clean driving records. But if you go into this with the intention of starting your own business, you will probably do all right. I got my trade school degree in 2005 and I have never been unemployed for more than 2 hours, and that is switching companies at east 9 times. From the East Coast to Central US.
    Learn refrigeration and ice machines, the stuff a lot of guys are afraid of, and the rest will seem easier and fall into place. Just know that HVAC/R is not clean work, or easy work. If it was, everyone would be doing it. My teacher told me: There are a lot of people doing this, making a lot of money, who don't know what the F*** they are doing. Once I got in the field, I saw this is true. Learn the trade, be proud of doing a good job, and be honest with the customers, and you will do all right. But don't be a nice guy when it comes to making $$. You have to earn a living and get paid for your time and experience. There are a lot of customers where you can't do it cheep enough for them......get rid of them, and find other decent customers.

Mistakes happen if ya work hard good things will come just don't expect to drive company vehicle for awhile!

I like tuba's post. With your driving record, you will find it difficult to find employment. On top of the driving aspect, there would be background checks to consider. If your dui's make you a felon, you could probably rule out working for an employer that does government work, or hospital work, etc... This would definitely limit the types of equipment you will be working on. Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll do fine. If you were a grunt for ten years, there's no obstacle that you can't overcome. Good luck.