Thread: Payne or Carrier heat pump

Post Likes

Payne or Carrier heat pump

Thanks for the site. I am in the process of purchasing a new heat pump from a local contractor for my rental property. The contractor has provided me estimates for either Payne or Carrier, both same size, specs etc. As I understand, the companies are both owned by Carrier, and both have the same warranties etc. My question is about the difference in price if these units. The Carrier unit is a Comfort 13 series, 25hbc3 with a FB4CNF AH unit, and the Payne is a PH13NA030 with a PF13MNA03 AH unit. The contractor advertises them as basically the same unit, and I've verified that others online say essentially the same, but the difference in price quoted to me is less than 5 percent difference between the two. Which would you choose and why? Also, I plan to have them install a carrier humidifier humcclbp unit along side. Thanks for your thoughts. Also, I don't have any plans to sell my property in the near term.

Post Likes
    Your statement of warranties is incorrect. They do not have the same warranty. Carrier and Bryant have the same 10-year parts warranty when the new equipment is registered on-line within 60-days of installation. Otherwise, the standard warranty is 5-years. The 10-year part warranty for Carrier/Bryant is transferable to a new owner should the need arise. Payne has a flat 5-year, non-transferable warranty. There is no 10-year option and the standard warranty is applicable to the original purchaser only.

Quoting Payne, is, IMO, part of the race to the bottom. It's a very good product at a lower price point but would be included in a quote only to compete with the bottom feeders. Even at that, the Carrier/Bryant lines have many options from basic 13-SEER up to the high teens in SEER, multi-stage, Infinity/Evolution control features, modulating heat pumps and all manner of additional dealer rebates, utility rebates and optional extended warranties.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    http://www.payne.com/warranty.html

My estimate has 10 years checked, and Payne's web site indicates the same. Where in the world are these units manufactured? Is one more imported than the other?

Post Likes
    Is this a dual fuel HP?

I ask because putting a humidifier on a total electric HP is not usually a good idea,
    you'll likely have a mold generating appliance.
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Post Likes
    Thanks. It!s all electric. I used to live in there and the heat in the winter welds your eyeballs closed it's so dry. This humidifier can't hold the humidity to comfortable level without generating mold?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    Your statement of warranties is incorrect. They do not have the same warranty. Carrier and Bryant have the same 10-year parts warranty when the new equipment is registered on-line within 60-days of installation. Otherwise, the standard warranty is 5-years. The 10-year part warranty for Carrier/Bryant is transferable to a new owner should the need arise. Payne has a flat 5-year, non-transferable warranty. There is no 10-year option and the standard warranty is applicable to the original purchaser only.

Quoting Payne, is, IMO, part of the race to the bottom. It's a very good product at a lower price point but would be included in a quote only to compete with the bottom feeders. Even at that, the Carrier/Bryant lines have many options from basic 13-SEER up to the high teens in SEER, multi-stage, Infinity/Evolution control features, modulating heat pumps and all manner of additional dealer rebates, utility rebates and optional extended warranties.
    The last time I looked at warranties....none of the 5 or 10 year warranties apply to "rental property" only lived in customers property?
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    The supply air temperature is not hot enough on a heat pump to be able to hold the moisture that the humidifier produces. Higher temperature air can hold lots more water than cooler air. That's why in the morning relative humidity is high because the molecules are smaller as it heats up rh goes down because the air molecules get larger. A gas furnace generates a lot more heat expanding the air molecule and lowering rh a heat pump doesnt. It may help to raise humidity a little on a hp but most of the water will go down the drain pipe.

Post Likes
    A steam humidifier migh work better but I have never used one bc they are much more expensive

Post Likes
    Nice catch beshvac! I see that. My contractor must have overlooked that provision. Both manufacturers have the same provision for rental property. I'm still stymied over which to choose.

Post Likes
    If you trust your contractor and feel like you should be loyal to him since he has been loyal to you over the years then ask him which he would do. If you do not trust or have not been using him over the years then I suggest getting more estimates and find you a good contractor with a fair price that will install the system properly. The installation is far more important than the brand of equipment you choose.

Post Likes
    I think I have a good contractor and have used them over the years, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't attempt some homework of my own to understand the differences between the units offered to me. Wouldn't you?

Post Likes
    Yea I think it's good. I wouldn't for hvac bc I would do it myself but yes for other things I do. It just sounded like you were going with that contractor regardless, which I think is great if he has satisfied you. I work very hard to build loyalty and trust with my customers.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-20-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: removed link pending review/Non AOP member

Post Likes
    The Carrier is made in the USA, Payne is made in Mexico. If you are concerned with putting Americans to work, splurge on Carrier.

Post Likes
    the hvac master

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    [/COLOR]

Post Likes
    Thanks BaldLoonie! You made my day! I actually decided to go with the Carrier yesterday based on other things I've read, but keeping American workers on the job makes me feel even better about it. PHH

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in