Thread: Should I ditch my Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 in favor of the Nest?

Post Likes

Should I ditch my Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 in favor of the Nest?

The Nest is looking good.

Do you guys recommend it or no, and why?

Post Likes
    Why downgrade your thermostat? The only things great about Nest is WiFi and it looks pretty. Also, you may be using features on the 8000 that the Nest doesn't have.

Post Likes
    Look at the ecobee tstat it's pretty cool. The vision pro is a great stat tho

Post Likes
    Prestige 2.0 would be my choice great function and display

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Why downgrade your thermostat? The only things great about Nest is WiFi and it looks pretty. Also, you may be using features on the 8000 that the Nest doesn't have.
    No, it has its own kind of adaptive learning. You basically manually set for a while. Rather than programming it in in advance, it will have you manually set it for a while and it picks up your habit.

There needs to be some cyclical trend. If it exists, the more data points it has, the better than computer can build a model and forecast your wants.

The only adaptive feature of the Vision Pro and many of the Home Depot models these days is the ability to "arrive to xx degree at xx time" by learning dT/dt over time and deciding how far in advance to turn on.

WiFi negates the need for large screen, because you can do much of the programming on your comfortable desktop computer keyboard, click and drag on 26" monitor and upload it by WiFi.

It's also accessible through internet ready device, like your smart phone. "going to be away this weekend" and ability to turn off by smart phone is undoubtedly a great feature.

And if you left for a week business trip without turning off the heat?.. log-in from phone and turn it off (phone accesses internet and internet based site accesses thermostat via your home's wifi)

Obviously its password protected, but for additional security measures, certain features could be locked to require control at the thermostat to override, i.e. upper and lower... so even if someone did hack in, it would limit heat to 75 and cool to 66... rather than having it tampered with and see it set to 99 or 58...

Post Likes
    The HW HD will do pretty much the same. While it doesn't have motion detectors built into it. No worry that you come home earlie for 15 minutes and it brings the house to normal temps needlessly.

Post Likes
    Most people disable the autolearn feature and do the programming with the app. Autolearn is worthless for the majority of users. People buy Nest because it's pretty and the web app. A web app thermostat can be had for a lot less money.

Post Likes
    The Vision Pro 8000 has a five year warranty, what does the Nest have. The 8000 is a rock solid stat with years of proven performance. I have installed many ecobee's and was not all that impressed for the money. If you want the bells and whistles to be able to "Play" with your t'stat then I say go for it. Oh, and the Home Depot models are not full featured Th8320U1008 stats, also check their warranty. just my $.015

Post Likes
    also, depending on your system it may not be compatible.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    My experience with feature loaded devices is that over time one tends to forget many of the features, and use the device more like a basic model.

Honeywell VisionPro is in my house, has been since 2004 when it first came out. Rock solid thermostat, I have no plans to remove it for something else.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Comply View Post
    The Vision Pro 8000 has a five year warranty, what does the Nest have. The 8000 is a rock solid stat with years of proven performance. I have installed many ecobee's and was not all that impressed for the money. If you want the bells and whistles to be able to "Play" with your t'stat then I say go for it. Oh, and the Home Depot models are not full featured Th8320U1008 stats, also check their warranty. just my $.015
    If you dwell on warranty you'd buy nothing but new Hyundais and Kais as personal vehicles. They're the only ones with 10year/100,000 mile warranty.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    If you dwell on warranty you'd buy nothing but new Hyundais and Kais as personal vehicles. They're the only ones with 10year/100,000 mile warranty.
    There are many factors that go into making an informed decision, warranty is just one of them. I will put Honeywell's' track record up against Nest any day of the week. just my $.015

Post Likes
    Your Honeywell thermostat is designed so you can control the comfort level of your home while maintaining efficient use of energy. The Nest stat is designed to control only energy usage regardless of your comfort. You choose.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in