Thread: new system leaking ?

Post Likes

Confused new system leaking ?

I had a R-22 system replaced with a Puron system about 6 weeks ago.
    System works ok, but my TIF RX-1A leak detector indicates a leak at the
    condensate line T connection near the evaporator coil. When I called
    the contractor a couple of weeks ago, he said that it was probably just
    refrigerant oil residue in the drip tubes.

Does this sound likely? Could this just be residue from the old system,
    which did have an evaporator leak?

Post Likes
    If it is still alerting after 6 weeks, it isn't residue.

Post Likes
    Thanks jpsmith1cm.

Does this indicate the evap coil is leaking or is there any other possible cause for the detector alerting only near the drip tube ?
    What would be the best way to follow up with the contractor ? This is a brand new system under warranty.

Post Likes
    Were you checking it with the system running, with air blowing out of the tee in the drain?

If so it may have been a false alarm, the type of leak detector you are using will go off if you stick the probe into a moving air stream, or if there is a change in the air temperature passing through the sensor.

Post Likes
    The leak detector only alerts if the AC has been off for at least a few minutes. Then the detector will alert on
    either the low sensitivity or the high sensitivity setting, when the detector is placed in the opening of the
    drip tube connection. The detector then stops alerting after a few seconds. This is a corona suppression
    detector, with a pump to pull air over the sensor. I assume that it clears out whatever it senses in a few
    seconds, that is why it then stops alerting.
    I have a coworker who has done ac installation and servicing in the past, and he told me it could
    be insulation dust that the detector is picking up. The duct work is 20 years old, and I suppose the
    install could have disturbed some insulation dust in the ducts, but I would have guessed that it
    would blow out of the system in 6 weeks.
    My coworker suggested that I just monitor the suction line temperature at the outdoor unit,
    taking measurements only under similar conditions, and see if that goes up. Or just have
    the installer check the pressures.
    I know the detector is very sensitive, so the leak might be small. It irks me that I might have a leak on a brand new system.
    With my luck, it won't effect the performance until just after the 2 year labor warranty.
    Any more thoughts would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    Just put the leak detector away ,on puron if you was detecting refrigerant at the drain line it would have quit cooling by now.

Post Likes
    I think you're looking for issues with limited knowledge and a tool that can lead you astray. Would you think you have a leak if you didn't have that sensitive detector? If not, get rid of the detector and live your life. If there's a problem it will reveal itself all in good time. You reported your suspicions about a leak to the installing company within the warranty period. If a leak occurs shortly after the warranty expires, it would still be covered, having been reported within the warranty period. So stop worrying. If the unit stops cooling sufficiently and the company has to add refrigerant, then that's the time to get concerned. If the system was properly evacuated at the time of installation, it's very highly unlikely there is any leak, as it's almost impossible to have a leak at 500 microns. Of course, if they didn't use a micron gauge during evacuation to be able to state emphatically that they reached and held 500 microns, then that's their bad and they'll have to live with the potential consequences.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    How is it, that you have a TIF RX-1A leak detector? Most home owners don't have a decent screwdriver, let alone specialized test equipment.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Check with bubbles, electronic leak detectors are finicky. If you do dont see physical evidence and have no other symptoms, I would not be concerned about it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in