+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High side pressure fluctuates on new system.

Post Likes

Confused High side pressure fluctuates on new system.

I just installed a new Goodman 13SEER 2.5Ton R410a (scroll) fixed orifice system with new air handler. Correct oriface was installed. Out side temp is 93F indoor is 73F. Low side pressue fluctuated 132-136psi. Low side temp is 58.6F giving me a superheat of 17.4. Calculated super heat is 14. Not far off. The high side is fluctuating from 450-650psi. I have not seen this before. I can hear the compressor labor at the higher pressure. My boss said not to worry about it unless the customer calls. I think the compressor may be damaged by this high pressure. Any thoughts out there?

Post Likes
    Shouldn't have anywhere near that high of head pressure with 93 ambient. If you weighed in the correct charge then check for non condensables.

Post Likes
    Might as well get some parts in stock now.
    Always here

Post Likes
    You have a 5mm coil unit. You need to remove some.

Post Likes
    Sounds like noncondensables to me. Did you pull deep vacuum? Microns?

Post Likes
    Balance the charge, all I install is Goodman and I've seen this more times than I can count.
    Last edited by cavitech; 08-17-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Suspect.

Post Likes
    Remove some and tell us what happens ....

Post Likes
    For that OD temp, the head pressure should be around 375 psi. Measure subcooling and see if it's not way high.

Post Likes
    Overcharged

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by socotech
    Sounds like noncondensables to me. Did you pull deep vacuum? Microns?
    I agree, first glance sounds like noncondensables

Post Likes
    Not to sound stupid but from what i read he has a new 410a system and a new air handler,Shouldnt that be a txv not a fixed orifice.
    and did he change the filter drier as well

Post Likes
    They ship systems with orifices and txvs. If was new system why wasn't the factory charge adequate?

Post Likes
    If its a microchannel condenser the charge will be very light for even the shortest runs and in general will hold almost 20% less than a comparable tube/fin system when fully charged.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    If its a microchannel condenser the charge will be very light for even the shortest runs and in general will hold almost 20% less than a comparable tube/fin system when fully charged.
    Goodman doesn't use Microchannel, but on their AC's they use a 5mm coil. Both are critical charge units (I think the 5mm is a bit more forgiving.) I'm putting my money on overcharge with a side of non-condensables.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTree View Post
    Goodman doesn't use Microchannel, but on their AC's they use a 5mm coil. Both are critical charge units (I think the 5mm is a bit more forgiving.) I'm putting my money on overcharge with a side of non-condensables.
    non condensibles.

Post Likes
    Sounds like non-connies also.
    KX500......the original big green meanie

Post Likes
    I would say overcharged..
    I am an experienced, caring, trusted, service provider who solves my customers issues beyond there expectations by educating them and guiding them with value-building options to make excellent buying decisions while building security and wealth for my company, myself and my family.

Post Likes
    Sounds like noncondensables. Recover the system, pull a good vacuum, and recharge. Your boss should be smacked for telling to not do anything unless the customer says something about the noise!

Post Likes
    You have nitrogen mixed in with the 410. May have happened at the factory or with your leak test if you did one. Pull the charge in the system and be careful not to kill your recovery machine doing it. you may have to resort to some diminimus to not damage your equipment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heresjohnnyb View Post
    You have nitrogen mixed in with the 410. May have happened at the factory or with your leak test if you did one. Pull the charge in the system and be careful not to kill your recovery machine doing it. you may have to resort to some diminimus to not damage your equipment.
    I read your post and it made me cringe... I just had one of my guy's install a Goodman dry R22 unit. I told him about 8 times that there is no refrigerant in the damn thing and that he needs to let the nitrogen out then pull a vac then charge. This dullard went ahead and pulled a vac then cracked the valves releasing all the nitrogen into the system then turned the unit on... He sat there for 2 hours like a dope trying to figure out why the suction side gauge was pegged out at "retard". I told him that he's the reason why it says "retard"... I went out there and heard the compressor being tortured to death.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in