Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any benefit to adding 5-inch media filter when new system is installed?

Post Likes
    Are we no longer concerned with the high pressure switch tripping?
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Evidently? Kinda just fell off the table.....................
    Always here

Post Likes
    No we seem to be more concerned about merv rating on filters and avoiding actually resolving anything.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    If you took the filter OUT, you would STILL be pulling air in through a duct leak in the unconditioned space, that difference is not tripping the high pressure switch on the outdoor unit.
    Yes, I know that. The 17cfm leak will be fixed when new equipment is installed. No point in fiddling with the ductboard "seal" in the return that's only been there a couple of months when it will all be replaced anyway. It leaks a lot less now with ductboard than it did for the 32 years since the house was built.

Post Likes
    17 cfm.....hmmmmmm
    Always here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Are we no longer concerned with the high pressure switch tripping?
    Not too concerned right now. The condenser coil corrosion likely raises head pressure close to the "tripping" point, which is one reason I'm looking into replacement options; the other reason is energy cost.

I believe the "tripping" is in remission for the time being, so long as I use the less restrictive filters. If it trips again and needs to be fixed, my home warranty will get a workout as it did when the TXV failed in Jan 2010 and when it stopped cooling in Jul 2012 due to the corroded, leaking accumulator. If they have to fix it again before I commit to a replacement, maybe they'll condemn the unit and give me at least a little money toward the replacement.

In the meantime, I do intend to ask one of this forum's pro's, recently added to the contractor map in my area, to come by and do PM (for a fee, of course) and give me an estimate on replacement.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Measuring current ESP will help you understand if that increase represents no, little, or catastrophic design flaw. If the 3.5 ton fan is set at 1400 cfm, and has .5 static or above, don't go up on equipment without duct redesign and replacement.
    I've emailed a forum pro that was just recently added to the contractor map in my area and, hopefully, he'll be able to help me determine ESP, among other things.

Just for kicks, I logged on to the load calc demo that you posted a link for in another thread earlier today. Thanks for that link! I went through step by step and entered actual, accurate measurements, including ACH and duct leakage data from earlier testing done by a potential bidder, along with the upgraded ceiling insulation. I carefully deleted basement/crawl space data and entered the actual perimeter measurements for the foundation.

First pass computed a 5.25 ton requirement, which I knew was wrong. When I re-verified the data, I realized I'd failed to identify the % of my windows that I leave shaded (blinds drawn) during the daytime. Once that was computed and corrected, the recommendation was 3.57 ton. Cooling load was 32,149 Btuh sensible and 4,251 Btuh latent. This is right inline with both Manual J load calcs done by two potential bidders on my new equipment, neither of which are still in the picture.

This has me again leaning away from down-sizing to 3 ton, unless it's the iQ Drive. My gut now tells me to stick with a 3.5 ton single stage SEER 15 and never mind the bells and whistles of the more expensive equipment.

Post Likes
    Glad you are getting esp, that will connect a lot. Maybe the 4t 2 stage will work.

Don't forget to true to actual energy consumption, and derate equipment efficiency for age, and derate further if static is high.

Post Likes
    Glad you are getting esp, that will connect a lot. Maybe the 4t 2 stage will work.
    Well, finding someone to measure esp may not be so easy. I called the one contractor on the "contractor map" for my area. Since he's a one-man shop and "too small" to invest in all the extra equipment that's "not required" by code, PM includes the standard pressure measurements, voltage readings, sub-cooling and the like, but not esp.

Don't forget to true to actual energy consumption, and derate equipment efficiency for age, and derate further if static is high.
    I don't see any provision for that in the online "Auditor" program, so how would I do that?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    17 cfm.....hmmmmmm
    Found the leak in the unfinished return cavity. The HVAC guy who "repaired" the duct leaks identified by the FPL blower door test would have had to "look up" to see it. It was probably easier to just put ductboard on the bottom and sides of the cavity and call it done, so he wouldn't have to twist his neck or lie on his back and "look up" to see this rather sizeable hole.
    Name:  2012-10-08_15-52-54_29.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  28.3 KB
    I wonder if they'll come back and do it right if I complain to FPL about one of their PIC list contractors doing substandard work?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Joy View Post
    Well, finding someone to measure esp may not be so easy. I called the one contractor on the "contractor map" for my area. Since he's a one-man shop and "too small" to invest in all the extra equipment that's "not required" by code, PM includes the standard pressure measurements, voltage readings, sub-cooling and the like, but not esp.

I don't see any provision for that in the online "Auditor" program, so how would I do that?
    They dont have manometers??
    http://meiersupply.com/TechSpeak/Tec...0%20Issue2.pdf

use the "sliders" - may look a little different on current version but it's a critical piece of what makes the software so useful.

Name:  BETA - Google Chrome 1082012 115107 PM.bmp.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  106.9 KB

And talking about Duct Leakage, this was in a crawl space that was significantly more connected to outside than inside...

Name:  IMGP8496.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  36.8 KB

Not a fun space

Name:  IMGP8501.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  49.7 KB

Post Likes
    They said no. I wonder why not. It seems to me it would be required as part of the process of properly setting up a new air handler. I hope I don't sound too picky, but when I get his bid, I need to ask how he'll verify CFM settings without one. I think I know the answer though... "experience", and if need be, he'll "tweak" it.

use the "sliders" - may look a little different on current version but it's a critical piece of what makes the software so useful.

Name:  BETA - Google Chrome 1082012 115107 PM.bmp.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  106.9 KB
    Perhaps this cost data is included with the full version, but it's not in the demo.

Post Likes
    They said no. I wonder why not. It seems to me it would be required as part of the process of properly setting up a new air handler. I hope I don't sound too picky, but when I get his bid, I need to ask how he'll verify CFM settings without one. I think I know the answer though... "experience", and if need be, he'll "tweak" it.
    TELL HIM WITHOUT A COMPLETE SET-UP, based on Your Vast Bill Paying Experience, that it would be appropriate to ' tweak' his invoice with a 30% self_ imposed D U C T DisCoUnT that was in your contract find fine print.

Experience Pays _
    _____________ but just 'so much'.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    It seems to me a manometer would be required as part of the process of properly setting up a new air handler.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    TELL HIM WITHOUT A COMPLETE SET-UP, based on Your Vast Bill Paying Experience, that it would be appropriate to ' tweak' his invoice with a 30% self_ imposed D U C T DisCoUnT that was in your contract find fine print.

Experience Pays _
    _____________ but just 'so much'.
    So do all ya'll techs in this forum use a manometer during setup? Is my guy a hack if he doesn't? Or do you have another tool in your toolbox to verify ESP and setup the airflow on a new air handler?

I'm still learning how to pick that "special" pro that I want for my install.

Post Likes
    So do all ya'll techs in this forum use a manometer during setup? Is my guy a hack if he doesn't? Or do you have another tool in your toolbox to verify ESP and setup the airflow on a new air handler?

I'm still learning how to pick that "special" pro that I want for my install.
    I wouldnt say "hack" but it is definately a sign that he is not getting scientific with his installs.

There are some other ways to measure airflow but a mamometer is the basic way to do it. Other instruments 10x the cost.

Post Likes
    Some of the owner's of companies don't want you to spend any extra time setting up the equipment, just want to get the check and get out the door, if the customer calls back then they go through the sequence of setting everything up properly. Kinda bass ackwards if you ask me but you can't blame a tech for being a hack if he's just doing what his boss says. All HVAC guys should have a manometer, how would they check gas pressure without one?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Some of the owner's of companies don't want you to spend any extra time setting up the equipment, just want to get the check and get out the door, if the customer calls back then they go through the sequence of setting everything up properly. Kinda bass ackwards if you ask me but you can't blame a tech for being a hack if he's just doing what his boss says. All HVAC guys should have a manometer, how would they check gas pressure without one?
    A little concerned now... this guy's the "owner" of a one man shop who said he has a tech who "helps" with installs.... when he shows up for work! We had a good long visit when he came out to get info for a Man J in preparation for his quote. He had a lot of good (I think) ideas regarding install options and tweaking ductwork, and he seemed really caring and knowledgeable. Nothing but A ratings on Angie's list, too. I expect his proposal soon and will ask again about manometer usage during the install.

Can't seem to catch a break in finding that one totally comforting, technically capable, contractor.

Post Likes
    I don't know how you couldn't have a manometer, but I know a company that installs that dosen't, us and them gave a price to install a fireplace insert and o course they were lower. I was doing ductwork on the job on the day they happen to fire it and what do you know it isn't burning well and they wanted me to look at it because the other guy didn't have a manometer to test gas pressure. I wanted to say f you but the customer still owned us money. A simple check found the gas pressure very low. So know the guy is out putting furnaces in and other stuff, and of course can't be setting them up proper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    A little concerned now... this guy's the "owner" of a one man shop who said he has a tech who "helps" with installs.... when he shows up for work!

We had a good long visit when he came out to get info for a Man J in preparation for his quote. He had a lot of good (I think) ideas regarding install options and tweaking ductwork, and he seemed really caring and knowledgeable. Nothing but A ratings on Angie's list, too.

I expect his proposal soon and will ask again about manometer usage during the install.

Can't seem to catch a break in finding that one totally comforting, technically capable, contractor.
    It seems to me in this age of keeping energy prices from going too high & keeping usage costs down, we need most HVAC Techs retrained to do their job thorough & right.

There are a lot of good test instruments to test every aspect of heating & A/C; techs need to have all them possible; most are affordable; & they need to know how to use them...

The one man shop usually depends on doing it right for referrals to stay in business...

Got to leave the PC, so-long for now...

Post Likes
    The one man shop does a job visually correct because they know the HO won't know the difference. Most think oh nice and shiny now that's a good job. I don't think they are out to screw people all the time they just have a good enuf attitude, or don't know better. I haven't been in the trade as long as most people here but I know the more I learn the more I expect out of myself, I feel like I have a duty to do the best job I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in