Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Joy View Post
    RE Michel has no branches in my county. I don't live in Orlando. I'm a she, not a he.
    Orlando may be what ya'll northerners think of when we say we're from Florida, but there are are still people like me living outside the reaches of the mouse! LOL And we wouldn't have it any other way!

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    did not see that post that states he lives somewhere else. What post number is it?

Use a cut-to-fit or fiber glass as pre-filter .:. the 5" deep filter will last a couple years.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

RE Michel has no branches in my county. I don't live in Orlando. I'm a she, not a he.
    My mistake on the gender as well. Then again, since my name is Robin, I get mistaken for a female often.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Use a cut-to-fit or fiber glass as pre-filter .:. the 5" deep filter will last a couple years.
    Pre-filter a filter? Wouldn't that be double filtering, which others on this thread have advised against.... you know.... bad idea static pressure-wise?

Or are you just testing to see if I've been listening to all the advice?

The standard 4" filters are cheap enough that prefiltering to extend their life doesn't make much sense. Not sure how much of a premium the special 5" filters that fit in a 1" rack cost. if they are expensive it might make sense to put a 1" cheapo filter in front of them to catch the big particles. Double filter could cause a static pressure problem if there isn't enough filter area.

Pre-filter a filter? Wouldn't that be double filtering, which others on this thread have advised against.... you know.... bad idea static pressure-wise?

Or are you just testing to see if I've been listening to all the advice?
    I am not testing -
    _____ You PASS All Tests!

The media (fiber glass or cut-to-fit) I mentioned has Minimal pressure drop (dP).
    + a 5" filter has such a large surface in comparison to 1" filter,
    the total dP for the 5" + fiber-glass would be significantly less than the 1" filter.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    1. Not sure how much of a premium the special 5" filters that fit in a 1" rack cost.
    1. Why not?
    ___ If someone is hired to "change a filter", the price of the filter just went to 13X.

2. I would certainly limit thickness to < 3/16".
    Designer Dan

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Then again, since my name is Robin, I get mistaken for a female often.

Yes he does! Anyone that don't laugh at this, you ain't right!

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    I am not testing -
    _____ You PASS All Tests!

The media (fiber glass or cut-to-fit) I mentioned has Minimal pressure drop (dP).
    + a 5" filter has such a large surface in comparison to 1" filter,
    the total dP for the 5" + fiber-glass would be significantly less than the 1" filter.
    OK, I see. But I just looked at my filter grill and I wouldn't be able to squeeze a media filter in between the grill and the the 1" slot that holds the pleated filter, be it a 1" or a 5", without pushing the pleated filter out of the slot and into the return cavity. I might be able to slice a media filter vertically into four 4" wide sections that would fit between the verital supports of the grill, but I don't see the point in my case.... no dogs or cats or long-haired residents in my house! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Yes he does! Anyone that don't laugh at this, you ain't right!

That's sort of how I felt I must have looked like the next day after you took me out honky tonking
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    The standard 4" filters are cheap enough that prefiltering to extend their life doesn't make much sense. Not sure how much of a premium the special 5" filters that fit in a 1" rack cost. if they are expensive it might make sense to put a 1" cheapo filter in front of them to catch the big particles. Double filter could cause a static pressure problem if there isn't enough filter area.
    Here's the brochure on the Honeywell FC40R. Filters Fast sells the 20 x 20 size for $45.00. The RE Michel catalog online lists them for $67.88. Even at the RE Michel list price, changing one every 12 months wouldn't be much more than the cost of four of the Filtrete 1500 Series 90-day filters every 12 months.

http://www.filtersfast.com/FC4-Honeywell-Brochure.pdf

Here's the brochure on the Honeywell FC40R. Filters Fast sells the 20 x 20 size for $45.00. The RE Michel catalog online lists them for $67.88. Even at the RE Michel list price, changing one every 12 months wouldn't be much more than the cost of four of the Filtrete 1500 Series 90-day filters every 12 months.

http://www.filtersfast.com/FC4-Honeywell-Brochure.pdf
    I see where Flanders (a Home Depot brand) now makes a 4" filter similar to the Honeywell fc40r.

http://flandersfilters.com/special-ad/

I picked up one of the Honeywell's from Johnstone Supply to try out with my old Rheem, which has only one undersized 20"x20" return filter grill. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use it until I change out my equipment and add another 20"x20" return. Both the Honeywell and the Flanders filters are rated as MERV 10, which is too restrictive for my current setup. I put it in just to try, but the high pressure switch at the condenser tripped after a few hours use. Had to go back to the cheap Flanders MPR 4 (MERV 8) $4 filters I'd been getting from Home Depot.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast