Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mb20fan View Post
    This builder is doing the home for a friend of his.They bought the house 1/2 done then it went into foreclosure.The previous owner had a hvac contractor do the duct work.The other hvac guy had his equipment in place.When he never got paid he came and took it all out.Left a hole in floor and a hole in ceiling 1 inch t-stat wire hanging out of wall and ceiling.He might not have been a very good one to start with he left his concentric termination behind.Myself I would not use a concentric but that`s just me.A brand new house how easy is it to make 2 holes for venting.But that`s why he went bigger than the right size it`s a friend of his or was a friend lol
    been down this road before....you have done enough. Because you know all this, If you continue even getting it in writing you will be liable because you know this isn't right.(will the homeowner sign off as well?).I would say no thanks and walk away. The only way i would do anything for this guy is to do it my way...and start over..save your self the headache...or you will be sorry

Thread: How do you get a builder to listen when you tell him that unit is way to big

You tell him you will do it for less than the next "bubba ina truck"

Solution... do not work for builders.

I just fired my last GC... (meaning I was working for a few, this is the last one, no more).

They are just too much hassle, and I end up not making enough $$$ to justify the time.

GC guy has an AC out at his house... bad coil. We agreed to a price. I went down there on a SATURDAY to replace the coil... he was gone. The wife says her hubby told her to tell me it should be free because of all the work he gave me (glad she said that BEFORE I did the job). I told her Bill (not his name) and I agreed on a price, that is the price of the job, I gave him a fair discount, and since she is complaining, I need her signature on the work order.

Low and behold, the hubby showed up in about 10 sec (I thought I was told he was gone)... Guy literally cussed me out, called me a MF, told me my parents should have been sterilized, said my Christian faith was phoney, and a host of other things I want to forget (I did record the entire conversation on my iphone, and told him so... should have seen the look on his face when he found out his attitude was documented ).

Told the guy THX for all the work and the good relationship... however it is time for me to quit working downtown with GC's... and only work in the burbs for homeowners.... I make more $$$ there.

Guy started cussing more, I just smiled at him and asked if I could leave. He told me to get the F out of there... so I did...

Are all builders this childish... I hope not. One thing for sure: NO MORE GC's of any flavor for me, especially builders.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Yes why do builders think they should get it for free if it`s there own house or one of there employees homes.He`s been calling all day asking me what I`m going to do for him on this job.I talked to him at 8 this morning and told him I`m done over there.I`m also done with you I can`t afford to do work for you dude it`s not working out for me.We are in Mi. near Ann Arbor it`s nice out no need for A/C today.Get on the phone Monday and find a contractor to try to fix the mess your in.I`m kicking myself in the a** for even doing the job.I`m to sore to leave the house at this point.

As far as too large unit,
    1) did you have it in writing? Or it is you said, he said thing.
    2) Does the owner NOW know that the unit is too large ?

Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    As far as too large unit,
    1) did you have it in writing? Or it is you said, he said thing.
    2) Does the owner NOW know that the unit is too large ?
    Nothing in writing just the I said he said.
    Now the owner know`s it`s to big inspector told them it`s a little on the big side.A little on the big side it`s way on the big side.What I told him was a little on the big side.When I told him 80,000 furnace 2 ton A/C.But they plan to use it for upstairs when it`s liveable

I don't work for builders anymore. They are too much of a pain in the a$$ 49 out of 50 times. When I was first starting out I foolishly agreed to do jobs similar to what is being described here (builder supplies the parts and pays you a chumps wage to put it in and is a pain in the a$$ the whole way through.) I don't know your climate but from what you described a 1 1/2 ton AC and a 40k furnace would probably still be too large... An 80k and 2 ton is oversized, a 100k and 3 1/2 ton is completely ridiculous and will be the most uncomfortable system on the block. From now on tell Johnny builder that you're the expert and he needs to shut his dirty pie hole if he wants you to do the work. I like how you told him it was too big and he brushed you off only to come back later and try to bandaid fix his mistake. I'm surprised he didn't blame you when it didn't work right
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

This builder is a joke.Telling me he over sized it for the upstairs later.I told him I already did that when I told you 80,000 and 2 ton even that was a little big.Today he`s like we wanted the bigger blower and Gibson did not make a 80,000 in a 90 plus.So I told him he should have went someplace else.He was there yesterday and it won`t bring the house down past 65 degrees.Wow for real wait till mold starts growing that will be real awesome.Try to explain that to home owner.

65F!!! Are they trying to hang meat in there?

I think so even at 65 it`s kind of clammy in side.The house has a high heat gain it has huge windows that do not open single pane.High vaulted celings.That`s what I asked them how much more do you want.Your lucky it`s doing that No matter what they set it at it will just keep running till it reach's set temp.It will shut down for 5 min,s than start right back up.Temp will rise 2 degrees in 5 min,s easy.But it`s not removing all the humidity form the home.

80,000 is to big also.

He bought the equipment, you didn't

Inspector passed installation.

DO NOT MODIFY THE EQUIPMENT. Right now you have an out, but if you field engineer the equipment, you are the one in court if something was to happen. I would send him a registered letter stating such.
    Always here

Thank`s for the heads up on that one.Energy star had not even thought about that.Builder called me this morning asking what is the worse that can happen.I just told him where do you want me to start.The worse that can happen to the house or the worse that can happen to him.Home owner know`s what I was going to put in.Yes I was going to over size a little home owner was asking for something that will do 1200sq/ft.I still could have got away with 40,000 maybe 60,000 with the heat loss the home has.Seeing it has all single pane glass.Then builder say`s he want`s a supply list I made one asking for 80,000 & 2 ton air.He call`s say`s it`s all delivered to house 100,000 &3 1/2.Wow why so big dude are they building another 2 rooms.Adding 2000 sq/ft to house that`s enough for a 3000sq/ft home and then some.Nope just finishing attic for living space SOME DAY.

I take it code in your area doesn't require load calculations?

What kind of moron installs single pane windows these days?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast