Repairing aluminum coil?

Have a R410a Trane HP that has developed a moderately slow leak due to the OD TXV rubbing up against one of the aluminum tubes of the spine-fin OD coil. I've seen a few aluminum coil failures over the years, but those were on older equipment and resulted in replacements. This is an '06 unit that deserves many more years of operation - and the leak is actually more of a weakening, not completely worn through to open a gaping hole, but more or less has worn through enough to weaken the integrity of the tubing resulting in some small, fine cracks.

Anyways, I've always heard of some epoxy that can be used with a very fast cure time, so that the repair can be done in one trip. I've called a few suppliers and all of them have told me their refrigeration guys just use JB weld. Its been a while since I've used JB but I'm pretty sure it requires a 24 hour cure. I'd like to get the repair done in one trip, and also this client is fairly elderly and I don't want to leave her without cooling for a day. I did a search and found a couple of products mentioned, just want an updated opinion on what would be the best route in this case - being 410a with the higher operating pressures... If JB would be best I'm sure I can make arrangements once our little heat wave here in the PNW passes. Thanks for any input provided.

Not a big fan of compression fittings.......so I always just use a flare union coupling.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I believe that Trane makes a compression coupling kit that can be used.
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    Not a big fan of compression fittings.......so I always just use a flare union coupling.
    Yes, Trane makes a compression coupling fitting for this repair.

Might want to be careful with flares in AL tubing. In my Aircraft maintenance days (many years ago), we had to use a sleeve between the flare nut (we called it a B nut) and the tubing. That point is a point of weakness and prone to vibration stress... which means potential failure.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Yes, Trane makes a compression coupling fitting for this repair.

Might want to be careful with flares in AL tubing. In my Aircraft maintenance days (many years ago), we had to use a sleeve between the flare nut (we called it a B nut) and the tubing. That point is a point of weakness and prone to vibration stress... which means potential failure.
    Good to know. I never had a problem......but that could be because a condenser coil doesn't see the vibration, that aircraft piping gets?

Good to know. I never had a problem......but that could be because a condenser coil doesn't see the vibration, that aircraft piping gets?
    True, aircraft is a VERY vibration prone environment. Just noting it for folks to read.

The Trane coupling works... I used on once for the very application discussed.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

The coupling in the kit from Trane is a deep insertion fitting like is used on hydraulic lines, not a cheesy plumbing type compression fitting.

I'm not sure how well trying to flare rifled spine fin tubing would work out.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.