Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: SMAN or Testo?

Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    Now lets figure out how to get the younger guys involved.
    I come on here everyday to find interesting stuff. I have learned so many things here and there, this site gave me a new interest in my job and all of the quality guys on here make me want to do better.

Testo has it half figured out, they make cool looking tools. Young people are also fairly good at assessing product quality, and very good at gathering consumer feedback before making a purchase. When/ if someone makes a good looking quality product young, competent techs buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    I come on here everyday to find interesting stuff. I have learned so many things here and there, this site gave me a new interest in my job and all of the quality guys on here make me want to do better.
    The answer lies before you.

Younger guys don't want to go to meetings or technical seminars. We typically don't have the time to do so, what with jobs and kids and home improvement projects and trying to keep a marriage working between all of the above.

Give me a place where I can go and talk shop with like-minded individuals, any time, day or night. A place where I can bring a problem, toss it out and get a half-dozen ideas within a few hours.

Oh.... Wait.....

www.hvac-talk.com

It already exists.

Guys, welcome to RSES version 2.0, the WWW version. I see 'webinars' and other multi-media forms of educational material being presented here and it is awesome.

You want to get the younger guys involved? Put it on their smartphone, tablet, netbook, laptop, desktop, or whatever eWidget that comes out next.

Wait.... Weren't we talking gauges? Sorry for the hijack. I just needed to get that out.

If you don't buy digi-cools, you're a loser... JOKING!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateHT View Post
    Testo has it half figured out, they make cool looking tools. Young people are also fairly good at assessing product quality, and very good at gathering consumer feedback before making a purchase. When/ if someone makes a good looking quality product young, competent techs buy it.
    When "they" focus how things "look" on the box or glossy ad we are doomed. I believe this is why something like a SMAN3 comes with two ATC1's which hardly even clamps a 3/8 line vs one ATC1 and one ATC1R. That would look goofy in a shiny ad or on the box but would make all the sense out in the field or a 557/570 that has a micron gauge that really isn't more then another line on the list of features.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

Younger guys don't want to go to meetings or technical seminars. We typically don't have the time to do so, what with jobs and kids and home improvement projects and trying to keep a marriage working between all of the above.

Give me a place where I can go and talk shop with like-minded individuals, any time, day or night. A place where I can bring a problem, toss it out and get a half-dozen ideas within a few hours.

Oh.... Wait.....

www.hvac-talk.com

It already exists.

Guys, welcome to RSES version 2.0, the WWW version. I see 'webinars' and other multi-media forms of educational material being presented here and it is awesome.

You want to get the younger guys involved? Put it on their smartphone, tablet, netbook, laptop, desktop, or whatever eWidget that comes out next.

Wait.... Weren't we talking gauges? Sorry for the hijack. I just needed to get that out.

Exactly the truth, life is so fast paced these days, if I can read a few posts then keep my kids out of the fridge, stove, toilet, cabinets and a casket, then read a few more its a good day! I would have never found this site if it weren't for my iPhone, I rarely use a computer any more, hell I pay all my bills with it, find the next job with it, there handy.

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    When "they" focus how things "look" on the box or glossy ad we are doomed.
    I can understand the sentiment, but Steve Jobs proved otherwise. The "look" catches the eye, the function proves its worth, and the quality sustains all.

In our industry accurate, dependable tools are as important as our knowledge base. The two are inextricable. If we want an industry of competent professionals each tech must be enthusiastic about building an arsenal of awesome tools to implement their awesome knowledge. Tool manufacturers must produce to the highest achievable standards. Just like Apple.

What are you guys considering old timer? 5,10,20 years exp?

I just receive my Ak900 my first digital.
    I'm exited.
    I'm always learning
    I guess I'm an old timer.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

Oh.... Wait.....

www.hvac-talk.com

It already exists.

gimme a break....you younguns' ain't any busier than us older guys. And we find time for RSES and mfg training.

I may not have small kids but i do have grand kids i run to different appointments.

You don't got to seminars because you don't place it high on your priority list. I and other senior members do.

BTW "This Old Guy" just bought a Testo 570 and a boat load of other test instruments.

My helper/student is buying my SMAN 3 and case for $250.

TTT is the place to buy all your test gear.

Great service and fast delivery. They are even getting me a Fluke they don't carry at a good price.

Good Bless Jim and his staff.

Repay Jim's generosity he lavishes on this site in the way of instructional info by buying your stuff from him.

Quote Originally Posted by shaka View Post
    What are you guys considering old timer? 5,10,20 years exp?

I just receive my Ak900 my first digital.
    I'm exited.
    I'm always learning
    I guess I'm an old timer.
    Well, I'm pushing 20 years of experience in the trade, but I'm a young'un compared to some.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    gimme a break....you younguns' ain't any busier than us older guys. And we find time for RSES and mfg training.

I may not have small kids but i do have grand kids i run to different appointments.

You don't got to seminars because you don't place it high on your priority list. I and other senior members do.
    Maybe it is because I place other things higher on my priority list.

Like being the father that my father was not.

I won't rip that old wound open any farther.

SMAN 3 VS TESTO

SMAN 3 IS BETTER HANDS DOWN. I HAVE BOTH OF THEM AND THE WAY THEY BOTH DO THE SUBCOOLING AND SUPERHEAT i HAVE TO GIVE IT TO SMAN 3. PLUS THE TEMP CLIPS ON THE SMAN3 LAST A WHOLE LOT LONGER. THEY ARE BOTH GOOD BUT SMAN HAS THEIR ACT TOGETHER
    Sir Ace says, Don't hate the breed, just the breeder!

Quote Originally Posted by toyo066 View Post
    SMAN 3 IS BETTER HANDS DOWN. I HAVE BOTH OF THEM AND THE WAY THEY BOTH DO THE SUBCOOLING AND SUPERHEAT i HAVE TO GIVE IT TO SMAN 3. PLUS THE TEMP CLIPS ON THE SMAN3 LAST A WHOLE LOT LONGER. THEY ARE BOTH GOOD BUT SMAN HAS THEIR ACT TOGETHER
    i got the sman 3 and testo 557.
    copped a 570 today and waiting for the sman 4.

i like testo and fieldpiece cause they have great customer ser vice.

as far as digitals go...i just think thy both are great and fun to use.

now if fieldpiece would please release the sman 4, it will be the end of my insane buying spree.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast