+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: SMAN or Testo?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    Not that much price diff between the SMAN 3 and the Testo 557.

I would go the extra mile and get the 557 cause its a great deal more accurate.
    Clover you still are confusing me with this post and your last. Could you please explain what you mean by the testo 557 being a great deal more accurate than the SMAN3.
    You're happy with the SMAN3 cause its better than something else you used to use?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    C'mon... I was reffeing to the fact you have to manually calibrate the SMAN temp clamps.And on press reading Testos are more accurate than a 550. (Jim Bergman quote0.

I like my SMAN 3 and it the first manifold I reach for on an install..
    But I finalize the my settings with the Testo. Finally started to use it enough to really get to know it. Both a great tools and each has a use.

My next purchase will be a 570 ....wireless is now the big thing....so that means an SMAN 4 also.

The 570 does all kinds of stuff but i like the ampclamp feature
    and the the feature that tells you how much refer you have charged .

Post Likes
    I've used the sman3 for 1 year, they're still working out some issues, mine have gone back for replacement twice and my coworkers 5 month old set went back as well. I've had the digi-cool ak900 for a week, so not exactly fully tested but they feel very solid and I like their read out more. Another guy at work is going to have the testo 557 soon and my sman will be back from fieldpiece, I plan on doing a side by side of all three while operating with a pros and cons list. Will post on tools and test equipment. Between sman and DC my first impression is to go with the DC.

Post Likes
    I have the SMAN3. I bought them mainly because I have numerous K type probes and did not plan on changing. Also the built in micron gauge would serve as a back up. Looking back I feel I made a bad choice. I have used a friends 550 Testo and I prefer using them to the SMAN. The plastic that Fieldpiece uses is very brittle on the clamps and on the latches on the case. I would not expect them to hold up.

With what I know now I will be looking for a sale over the winter for a pair of Digicool AK 900. I would have purchased the AK 900 but wanted pipe clamps. It is still my only reservation with them. I don't want to make them myself or spend what it would cost for a pair. My SMAN will become a backup manifold and backup micron gauge.

Post Likes
    Well it's looking good for digi, I didnt even consider them at first so I'm glad I asked the pros.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    I have the SMAN3. I bought them mainly because I have numerous K type probes and did not plan on changing. Also the built in micron gauge would serve as a back up. Looking back I feel I made a bad choice. I have used a friends 550 Testo and I prefer using them to the SMAN. The plastic that Fieldpiece uses is very brittle on the clamps and on the latches on the case. I would not expect them to hold up.

With what I know now I will be looking for a sale over the winter for a pair of Digicool AK 900. I would have purchased the AK 900 but wanted pipe clamps. It is still my only reservation with them. I don't want to make them myself or spend what it would cost for a pair. My SMAN will become a backup manifold and backup micron gauge.
    That is the only thing I have a tuff time with. There are a couple guys at work that are talking about going with digital gauges.. I Will only recommend the Digi-cools but I do let them know upfront that they are going to need to do something with the Pipe clamps. I did not purchase the set Doug sells for the AK's so I cant speak on them, But I really like using the cooper straps with the AK 900.

I dont mind soldering the plugs to use the cooper straps I already had on the truck but some guys dont own them Cooper Thermometers so they are thinking about going with another manufacturer. The reliability of the Digi-Cools are unmatched and that far outweighs the clamps for me but I think Doug needs to come up with a way to use clamps with his manifold. Even if he sells a "whip" with the mono plugs already soldered on so all someone has to do is buy the cooper straps or clamps off the shelf.. That I believe would be more appealing to people. WHat do you think about that?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    That is the only thing I have a tuff time with. There are a couple guys at work that are talking about going with digital gauges.. I Will only recommend the Digi-cools but I do let them know upfront that they are going to need to do something with the Pipe clamps. I did not purchase the set Doug sells for the AK's so I cant speak on them, But I really like using the cooper straps with the AK 900.

I dont mind soldering the plugs to use the cooper straps I already had on the truck but some guys dont own them Cooper Thermometers so they are thinking about going with another manufacturer. The reliability of the Digi-Cools are unmatched and that far outweighs the clamps for me but I think Doug needs to come up with a way to use clamps with his manifold. Even if he sells a "whip" with the mono plugs already soldered on so all someone has to do is buy the cooper straps or clamps off the shelf.. That I believe would be more appealing to people. WHat do you think about that?
    A co-worker just got the AK900 and says the straps seem to work fine and the wires seem to be "beefed up." What you suggest would be more appealing but it would still bother me personally to shell out a big hunk of change and have to do anything else.

Post Likes
    I just ordered my DC AK900
    But I want a clamp on with it.
    I'm not sure if I want to get that Velcro strap sensor.
    Why can't they just make a clamp on with it?
    It seems like the demand is there.

It will suck when I get the DC on Monday with some sensors I can't used.

Post Likes
    From what I have seen of hvac colleagues who own Digi Cools, they seem like toys compared to other digitals

I have a friend who is 64 years old who refers to them as Clown Gauges because to him they look toys (his words, not mine),
    but i think I should mention he won't use anything but analogs.
    But he is a great insinuative trouble shooter so he is not some no-talent hack. So his comments do carry weight.

I also find it hard to accept all the high praise that Digi Cools get, and at the same time the owners ARE NOT complaining about the temp clamp mods they made 'cause they don't like the Velcro temp probes.
    And it's been pointed out these clamp mods have caused compromised reading and again we have seen no complaints from the those who have modified their Digi Cools.

The worst criticism of competitive digitals are from the the Diggi Cool owners who over look the short comings of the clamp mods they have made. I don't get that.

Would somebody please explain that to me?

Post Likes
    the problem with all digital gauges is the temp clamps or straps.

between all the guys i work with we have many sets of all the various types, i own the sman 3 and testo 550.

i use my sman 3 all the time, two issues with them, one was the high side valve not letting me recover froen, got the new valves and havent had a problem at all this summer, the second is the need for new clamps every year, seems with daily use on average the clamps will eventually wear out and u will have to replace them yearly, i dont mind, i get my boss to buy me new ones.

the testo 550 has the same issue with the clamps, but i didnt even get threw one summer with the wires.

thats always gonna be the weak point with any digital set, if someone would just make a extremely heavy duty silicone wire that can be pulled on and not break they would sell like hot cakes, ill pay good money if i can get a good set with temp clamps i dont have to baby or modify.

but i love the accuracy of digital, so i will deal with the shortcomings for now, ill buy the ak 900 here in a couple weeks, i really like my sman 3 now that the valve issues are resolved.

Post Likes
    i dont like to listen to the olds guys opionion on tools at my work, im 28, they think i waste money on all my nice highly accurate tools. but whats funny is im 30-40% more productive and have a far less call back ratio, and make more money, so as far as a old timer calling digital guages clown gauges says to me, im old and set in my ways, he prolly still uses a simpson 260 meter as well.

u either learn to change or get left in the dust, im gonna take advantage of everything that will help me do my job better and make me more valuable.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettgetsmwet04 View Post
    the problem with all digital gauges is the temp clamps or straps.

between all the guys i work with we have many sets of all the various types, i own the sman 3 and testo 550.

i use my sman 3 all the time, two issues with them, one was the high side valve not letting me recover froen, got the new valves and havent had a problem at all this summer, the second is the need for new clamps every year, seems with daily use on average the clamps will eventually wear out and u will have to replace them yearly, i dont mind, i get my boss to buy me new ones.

the testo 550 has the same issue with the clamps, but i didnt even get threw one summer with the wires.

thats always gonna be the weak point with any digital set, if someone would just make a extremely heavy duty silicone wire that can be pulled on and not break they would sell like hot cakes, ill pay good money if i can get a good set with temp clamps i dont have to baby or modify.
    You can use Fluke pipe clamp probes on your SMAN.

Post Likes
    i use the fluke pk-80 on the suction, and fieldpiece atcr1 on the liquid line, they work great, but after about 12-14 months ive had to replace them dur to a weak wire connection on the fluke, and a cracked body on the fieldpiece, im on my third set in just over 2 years

Post Likes
    i use the fluke pk-80 on the suction, and fieldpiece atcr1 on the liquid line, they work great, but after about 12-14 months ive had to replace them dur to a weak wire connection on the fluke, and a cracked body on the fieldpiece, im on my third set in just over 2 years
    I have the same prob with the Fieldpiece. I am surprised to see that with the Fluke. I get many years of use from them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    From what I have seen of hvac colleagues who own Digi Cools, they seem like toys compared to other digitals
    TOYS?!?!?!?!?

You've got a bee in your bonnet because Doug offended you and you've done nothing but beat up on his product, without ever having tried it.

On the subject of sendor modifications...

I didnt' modify my DCs because I didn't like the velcro sensors, I modified them to make them work better for me. The sensors are still 100% OEM and my DC 1200 is still 100% OEM. I modified my AK-900 extensively to change the sensor connections at the unit to accept the SAME plugs across both units. That way, I don't have to carry multiple types of sensors or run the risk of being out on a rooftop and having the wrong sensor.

Post Likes
    i dont like to listen to the olds guys opionion on tools at my work, im 28, they think i waste money on all my nice highly accurate tools. but whats funny is im 30-40% more productive and have a far less call back ratio, and make more money, so as far as a old timer calling digital guages clown gauges says to me, im old and set in my ways, he prolly still uses a simpson 260 meter as well.

u either learn to change or get left in the dust, im gonna take advantage of everything that will help me do my job better and make me more valuable.
    I've worked with those guys, too.

3 years ago, when I bought my 1200, one of them was my boss. I talked to him about buying it before I pulled the trigger and heard comments like "You've smart enough, you don't need those things" and "Those are for 'dumb' techs" and various other derogatory comments...

The last laugh is on him, because he now owns and uses an AK-900......

Does that mean he's a 'dumb tech'??

Post Likes
    both my fluke pk-80 have a bad connection right at the plug, where it hangs down, i can wiggle it and it will work. just got new clamps, im gonna get some heat shirnk wrap and make it stronger so it dont pull so hard on the plug from the wire hanging down.

Post Likes
    JPsmith

I'll be receiving my ak900 on Monday
    Can you tell me what I need to buy,to modify it to clamp ons?
    I know you have two sensor plug on ur AK

Can I just purchase the two clamp on for the 1250
    And replace the plug on AK.?

Was there a reason yours is separated?

Post Likes
    Doug should take the AK900's remove the pressure transducers from the display, screw them directly into his new brass manifold, then snap and screw the housing back on. This would less connections, and possible leaks. To take it a step further, the stock brass housing could be cut taller, then cut an inverted arc in the top. This will allow the manifold to hug tight up to the bottom of the digital display. The look be more streamlined, look better, and sales would go up. He already has a great product. I bet he is enjoying the increased sales of the new product and pricing structure.
    Always here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shaka View Post
    JPsmith

I'll be receiving my ak900 on Monday
    Can you tell me what I need to buy,to modify it to clamp ons?
    I know you have two sensor plug on ur AK

Can I just purchase the two clamp on for the 1250
    And replace the plug on AK.?

Was there a reason yours is separated?
    I just took a set of 1250 clamps and put single 1200 ends on them. I wanted my sensors to be universal. I can use any sensor that I have on either DRSA that I have. Make for more versatility.

I haven't seen the new AK sensors. The stretchy velcro ones are supposed to be nice. If at all possible, I'd try to find a clamp that I could simply install the sensor and pad assembly on with minimum modification to the sensor itself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in