SMAN or Testo? - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: SMAN or Testo?

I have 2 sets of DC gauges in the truck.

my 1200 is about 3 years old and has had no problems with the unit itself. I have broken a couple of sensor wires, but have since learned how to care better for them and that doesn't happen anymore.

The 900 is about 2 years old (one of the beta models) and I beat the crap out of it. Still, no issues to speak of.

Thanks jp, I do need something tuff, I do lots of work in the country and in crappy areas, I am glad I started this thread because I was leaning toward SMAN and I bet they are great but with all the good said about digi cool I feel more comfortable with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    You ever get that AK-900, clover?
    After my interaction with Mr. Lockart...it ain't gonna happen.

I'm good with with my 557 and my SMAN 3. Got a lot of use this summer but i trust them both.

Now I am getting the wireless bug..so that means the Testo 570 and the Sman 4.

I don't know why , but even though i don't use the micron gauge on either manifold, I just like using them.

This heating season I am going for a combustion analyzer. Just don't know I f I am going Bacharach or Testo.

Bacarach was the Gold-standard when I was in school in the '70s but I love Testo stuff too. Jim at TTT sells both. I'll probably consult with him or his staff and make up my mind.

I just want to be the best I can be in the working years I have left and that means more education and capital investment in new instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    After my interaction with Mr. Lockart...it ain't gonna happen.

I'm good with with my 557 and my SMAN 3. Got a lot of use this summer but i trust them both.

Now I am getting the wireless bug..so that means the Testo 570 and the Sman 4.

I don't know why , but even though i don't use the micron gauge on either manifold, I just like using them.

This heating season I am going for a combustion analyzer. Just don't know I f I am going Bacharach or Testo.

Bacarach was the Gold-standard when I was in school in the '70s but I love Testo stuff too. Jim at TTT sells both. I'll probably consult with him or his staff and make up my mind.

I just want to be the best I can be in the working years I have left and that means more education and capital investment in new instruments.
    Sorry. I was under the impression that you had ordered one a while back.

I have a UEI combustion analyzer, sure beats the bacharach kit as far as time and ease. We still use the draft gauge from the old kit though. I haven't used it much but or pm tech has and seems to like it, I don't know how they compare to anything else though.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Sorry. I was under the impression that you had ordered one a while back.
    He said he did....

Clover ordered AK 900s.

First thing I'm gonna do is drown them and see how they work after.

I'm serious.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    He said he did....
    Yes i was going to order them and at the time I posted that I I had mind up me my to commit to an order. But i never got to it. After an exchange with Doug I changed my mind.

Even though the AK 900 has a great rep among it's users...it's just not something I prefer to have.

Sorry for the misinformation on my already having them.

I'm harpy with my Testos and SMAN 3.

Not that much price diff between the SMAN 3 and the Testo 557.

I would go the extra mile and get the 557 cause its a great deal more accurate.
    Clover you still are confusing me with this post and your last. Could you please explain what you mean by the testo 557 being a great deal more accurate than the SMAN3.
    You're happy with the SMAN3 cause its better than something else you used to use?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

C'mon... I was reffeing to the fact you have to manually calibrate the SMAN temp clamps.And on press reading Testos are more accurate than a 550. (Jim Bergman quote0.

I like my SMAN 3 and it the first manifold I reach for on an install..
    But I finalize the my settings with the Testo. Finally started to use it enough to really get to know it. Both a great tools and each has a use.

My next purchase will be a 570 ....wireless is now the big thing....so that means an SMAN 4 also.

The 570 does all kinds of stuff but i like the ampclamp feature
    and the the feature that tells you how much refer you have charged .

I've used the sman3 for 1 year, they're still working out some issues, mine have gone back for replacement twice and my coworkers 5 month old set went back as well. I've had the digi-cool ak900 for a week, so not exactly fully tested but they feel very solid and I like their read out more. Another guy at work is going to have the testo 557 soon and my sman will be back from fieldpiece, I plan on doing a side by side of all three while operating with a pros and cons list. Will post on tools and test equipment. Between sman and DC my first impression is to go with the DC.

I have the SMAN3. I bought them mainly because I have numerous K type probes and did not plan on changing. Also the built in micron gauge would serve as a back up. Looking back I feel I made a bad choice. I have used a friends 550 Testo and I prefer using them to the SMAN. The plastic that Fieldpiece uses is very brittle on the clamps and on the latches on the case. I would not expect them to hold up.

With what I know now I will be looking for a sale over the winter for a pair of Digicool AK 900. I would have purchased the AK 900 but wanted pipe clamps. It is still my only reservation with them. I don't want to make them myself or spend what it would cost for a pair. My SMAN will become a backup manifold and backup micron gauge.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

Well it's looking good for digi, I didnt even consider them at first so I'm glad I asked the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    I have the SMAN3. I bought them mainly because I have numerous K type probes and did not plan on changing. Also the built in micron gauge would serve as a back up. Looking back I feel I made a bad choice. I have used a friends 550 Testo and I prefer using them to the SMAN. The plastic that Fieldpiece uses is very brittle on the clamps and on the latches on the case. I would not expect them to hold up.

With what I know now I will be looking for a sale over the winter for a pair of Digicool AK 900. I would have purchased the AK 900 but wanted pipe clamps. It is still my only reservation with them. I don't want to make them myself or spend what it would cost for a pair. My SMAN will become a backup manifold and backup micron gauge.
    That is the only thing I have a tuff time with. There are a couple guys at work that are talking about going with digital gauges.. I Will only recommend the Digi-cools but I do let them know upfront that they are going to need to do something with the Pipe clamps. I did not purchase the set Doug sells for the AK's so I cant speak on them, But I really like using the cooper straps with the AK 900.

I dont mind soldering the plugs to use the cooper straps I already had on the truck but some guys dont own them Cooper Thermometers so they are thinking about going with another manufacturer. The reliability of the Digi-Cools are unmatched and that far outweighs the clamps for me but I think Doug needs to come up with a way to use clamps with his manifold. Even if he sells a "whip" with the mono plugs already soldered on so all someone has to do is buy the cooper straps or clamps off the shelf.. That I believe would be more appealing to people. WHat do you think about that?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast