Thread: I have to bang on compressor to get it going

Post Likes

I have to bang on compressor to get it going

Quick question about my ac compressor. I lower thermostat & can hear the air handler come on. Great, house should be cool soon enough. But it's not. Look out window and the compressor isn't running. I go outside and bang on it (figured it's worth a try) and it starts running.

Now this happens if the A/C isn't used for a few days. Please help with any suggestions.

Thank you so much, Michelle

Post Likes
    Call for service. Could be any number of things inside that unit responding to your bang.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Use a rubber mallet so you don't hurt your hand. Or you could call a servcie tech. There are a multitude of items that could cause this.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Use your head, not your hand! You could have a problem that is doing cumulative damage when the unit is trying to start and doesn't. A smart person would have already called a pro for service. Are you smart?
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    What you are hitting is not the compressor. Hitting a compressor won't help it start. Call a pro to find out what is not working and let him do what needs to be done.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    A smart person would have already called a pro for service. Are you smart?
    x2

Post Likes
    really.... bang it... and you want help.... not much to go with there....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Reminds me of my first house and furnace. The heater would not work until I banged on the little gray box. I'd have to do that several times then the furnace would work fine for the rest of the year.

I also remember the blower motors running all the time after the furnaces would shut off. I was "taught" to smack the side of the furnace and it the blower stopped to just replace the fan switch.

So what might be happening when you hit your unit is you are helping a switch make good contact to pass power to the rest of the parts. You will need to call for service.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    indeed
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    I would just go beat the crap out of it mabey it will keep working

Post Likes
    I think were supposed to help these people, not make fun of them.

It sounds like a very simple fix but it will have to be performed by a pro. The longer you wait and/or keep beating on the unit the more likely the problem could turn into bigger money. Good luck

Post Likes
    I agree

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in