Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Confused New student and site user. I am 27 and have 2 dui's.

I have a few questions and much needed answers hopefully from you guys. I am 27 years old registered for my first semester of hvac-r classes and I am concerned about if I should even attempt this with one of the dui's in 05' and one in 09'. I spoke to an instructor and they said that insurance companies typically go back 3-5 years on driving records. I am really just wondering if it's worth the time and effort if I am just gonna get shunned for past mistakes. I don't mess around anymore when it comes to drinking or driving I have a few other infractions on my record as well like 2 speeding tickets ( years ago) and leaving the scene of an accident ( also years ago). What do you think my chances are of being able to be insured by a company?? have you or anyone you know ever had any similar circumstances?? thanks for your time I really need some answers A.S.A.P if at all possible.

it's all up to the employer & their insurance company
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

in the state of md insurance companies go back 3 years. i don't know if that is different for commercial insurance.

I appreciate the comments what would you do if you were me or what do you recommend? My father is strongly mechanically and electrically inclined ( Earned his journeyman's never his master) so I have a good base built myself already. I have been able to teach myself many things in life and also been instructed and learned many things electro-mechanical related and just general knowledge. I don't know it all by any means. I think I could get ballpark of knowing a great deal. Is hvac very intricate when it comes to math and science? is there margin for error?? I have a great deal of reserve now that I see professionals that have worked and are working in this field speaking about the reality of the industry any and all feedback is welcome thanks again.

My company had a guy that had an open container charge. The insurance company would not let him drive a company truck for three years. He tagged along with another tech in the meantime. It all depends on the company and the insurance company that you work for.

ok so how difficult is it? I have general knowledge of electro-mechanical assemblies making wiring harnesses from spools. building motors machine shop type of stuff, how do you think I will fair in school and in the workforce? hypothetically of course.

This is an "if it was my descision" answer.

I would only hire you if you completed an alcohol rehab program, attended meetings without fail, and had two people of good repute vouch for no less than three years of total sobriety. Anything less is not a good bet for any employer.

JMHO.

I can handle it. I'm looking for real, honest answers. I am trying to be as realistic as possible here. So you are saying on a rehab program on top of anything I have already completed in the past that had to do with those convictions right??

Your F plain and simple. Thier is guys out thier just as green as you with perfect driving records. I know from experience I have a horrible driving record with just driving infractions (speeding run stop sign) and almost got fired due to insurance being too much to cover me.

I would say get the training and by the time your trained your record can be cleared up a bit. In Canada they look back 3 years.

I'd get a drivers abstract to know 100% if it's not on thier don't say nothing to future employers if it's on thier no choice

Right on I'm just having second thoughts now if I go throught with school and all that I don't want to waste all that time for nothing and not be able to get hired and be back at square one.

honestly,i wouldn't hire you. not trying to be a jerk or anything. why should i take a chance on a rookie with a bad driving history when i can hire a rookie with a clean record?

on the other hand, there are plenty of hvac maintenance jobs at a building or plant that won't require you to drive a company truck.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

No one will hire you for service work. not for a long time like 7 to 10 years. but don't give up trade school. There are many jobs in HVAC that don't require driving. Get into maintenance, you can learn as you burn away the bad years. Once you have a history of good work and develop references, you can look at doing service someday if want.

aslo look into taking classes that will take points off you licence, if they offer that in your area.

Touche. I understand and respect your opinion, that will only limit my income potential so I dunno what I should do it's basically a lose lose if i go to school and don't get hired and you are correct when you say why should you take a chance over someone with a clean driving record I think I'm gonna just say screw it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast