Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 20

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Can I Vent My Boiler Over My Neighbour's Driveway? (Toronto)

    I'm looking to replace my boiler and I need some advice. I'm in Toronto, in an older (1940s built) house. My house sits on my neighbour's property line. My current boiler vents up the chimney, but I'd like to move to sidewall venting to reduce potential CO issues.

    See pictures (x3): http://imgur.com/a/u0gew

    Some contractors told me that the best solution (based on space constraints) is to vent onto/above my neighbour's driveway. But according to CSA B149.1-05 section 8.14.8 "a vent shall not terminate directly above a paved sidewalk or paved driveway that is located between two single-family dwellings and serves both dwellings". Granted, the driveway does not serve BOTH dwellings, but I don't see why it suddenly becomes okay if it just serves one.

    My question to you guys: Can I legally vent onto/above my neighbour's driveway? Based on the pictures I provided, do you see a potentially better solution?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Burlington , Mass
    Posts
    465
    Why cant to have a chimney company install a liner in the existing chimney ? Is looks like your chimney is outside the home ? A liner would sure help with the draft, and eliminate all mechanical venting.
    I'll be there when I get there and not a minute later

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by BURL-REF View Post
    Why cant to have a chimney company install a liner in the existing chimney ? Is looks like your chimney is outside the home ? A liner would sure help with the draft, and eliminate all mechanical venting.
    The chimney is part of the home, with an external wall.

    I assume you mean direct venting PVC out the chimney? The issue is that my HWT is natural draft vented through the chimney and I can't common vent with the boilers I'm looking at (Slant/Fin VSPH-90, Olsen ODV-75B).

    If I get a boiler that is natural draft (example Lennox GWB8-112IE), then I have to seal up the boiler room for an extra couple grand.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,375
    If you are abandoning the chimney why not use it as a chase to get the PVC pipes to the roof and terminate there?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

    Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,588
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    If you are abandoning the chimney why not use it as a chase to get the PVC pipes to the roof and terminate there?
    X2 done that many times, never have to look at pipes and worry about them freezing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,375
    Check with local code enforcement about the regulations of venting over the neighbors driveway. I suspect not, but if it is allowed there will be a minimum height requirement the exhaust will have to be above the driveway. Many considerations here.

    When you orphan the water heater, you will need to line the chimney. That money may be better spent on indirect water heater, or direct vent domestic water heater in addition to your boiler.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

    Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    Check with local code enforcement about the regulations of venting over the neighbors driveway. I suspect not, but if it is allowed there will be a minimum height requirement the exhaust will have to be above the driveway. Many considerations here.

    When you orphan the water heater, you will need to line the chimney. That money may be better spent on indirect water heater, or direct vent domestic water heater in addition to your boiler.
    Thanks. I totally agree regarding calling code enforcement but I did call the TSSA and they told me to review the code with a licensed contractor. That's where I got the snippet in my original post. I also called who I thought were the local inspectors and they claimed not to be able to help me:

    http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgeb...000032188.html

    I'm running around in circles here just trying to get a definite Toronto based answer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    921
    I questioned this a while back and was told that if any water drips from the pipe and freezes, then someone slips and falls, the homeowner is liable. We found another way to vent the flue so it didn't run near a sidewalk or driveway.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

    A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +2

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    Best to combine the water heater with the boiler using indirect ro looking at a wall hung boiler or combi boiler.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Best to combine the water heater with the boiler using indirect ro looking at a wall hung boiler or combi boiler.
    I'm leaning that way now, but I'm still puzzled on how to vent it. I want to maintain sealed combustion, so I'd prefer not to draw air from inside my home.

    I'm specifically looking at the Viessmann Vitodens 100. In the venting manual (link below) it states that I can use coaxial venting. It looks like this provides both intake and exhaust. Can I do this through my chimney? Alternatively, is it okay to use both an intake and exhaust PVC pipe through the same chimney flue?

    http://www.viessmann.ca/etc/medialib...Venting_ii.pdf

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Powell River, BC, Canada
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerventing View Post
    I'm leaning that way now, but I'm still puzzled on how to vent it. I want to maintain sealed combustion, so I'd prefer not to draw air from inside my home.

    I'm specifically looking at the Viessmann Vitodens 100. In the venting manual (link below) it states that I can use coaxial venting. It looks like this provides both intake and exhaust. Can I do this through my chimney? Alternatively, is it okay to use both an intake and exhaust PVC pipe through the same chimney flue?

    http://www.viessmann.ca/etc/medialib...Venting_ii.pdf
    I have installed 2 of those Viessmans and used the chimney to run the intake AND exhaust pipes in. You can vent them with 2-2" system 636 pvc pipes OR use a concentric type venting.
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,375
    Understand the chimney becomes a chase for the PVC pipes. If the diameter of coax pipe for the Vitodens will fit in the chase all the way from bottom to top, you should be able to do that. Same with PVC. You will use 2 runs of pipe - one for combustion air and one for venting.

    This all still needs to be verified by someone on-site that knows your local codes.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

    Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    Understand the chimney becomes a chase for the PVC pipes. If the diameter of coax pipe for the Vitodens will fit in the chase all the way from bottom to top, you should be able to do that. Same with PVC. You will use 2 runs of pipe - one for combustion air and one for venting.

    This all still needs to be verified by someone on-site that knows your local codes.
    Thanks. I needed to verify that the idea is in the realm of possibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event