+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should i keep looking or keep the job?

Post Likes

should i keep looking or keep the job?

ok i got another question here, so i graduated about a year ago and ive only had one job opportunity and that was just recently it was servicing the air conditioners at the at&t cell sites they treat me pretty good they told me they would give me a truck cell phone and computer and they start me off at 13 an hour with a lot of overtime and its on call, but Ive been training for about a week and they contacted me yesterday telling me i cant work for them because of my driving record but they said i can get my own truck and insure it personally and keep working for them and its a lot of driving around the whole state of ks, so i guess what im asking is should i keep the job and get my own vehicle or just keep on looking? i don't really wanna leave it because im afraid i wont find another job since they were the only ones to give me a chance.

Post Likes
    See if they'll pay your mileage, if not you'll be working just to keep gas in the truck.

Post Likes
    get the cost on a lease ask them to supplement your pay or you can write it off at the end of the year. Talk to an accountant before you agree to anything. They should pay for gas for jobs you go on, you need to keep a log. you can also use Google maps for mileage. I see nothing wrong with this as long as you are compensated. if they don't cover your expenses you cant afford to work for them.

Post Likes
    Yea they said they would pay for all my tools and gas and all that is it possible for them to give me the company truck and i personally insure it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuelberumen View Post
    Yea they said they would pay for all my tools and gas and all that is it possible for them to give me the company truck and i personally insure it?
    sure they can give you a truck, but to insure it, it would be in your name. will they pay for your insurance? also i would check with your insurance provider and tell them this. just be aware if something happens with this truck, like poor maintenance which leads you to crash and harm someone or something, you will be held liable. But talk to your insurance they will tell you the pros and cons and cost.

Post Likes
    Keep looking for job opportunities in any case, and I hope you are good at bluffing.

A desperate employee is a "good" employee and companies want you to be desperate, and in this economy there are a lot of desperate people.

Post Likes
    If you have a bad driving record, others will find out too, I would try to work with them the best you can for now,but work the #'s. With a lot of driving you can eat up 12-15K a year real quick, just between fuel, insurance,maintenance now add in truck payments.

Post Likes
    No they said i would have to pay because i guess since im under 25 it will be more expensive to insure me and one ticket makes it go up, i guess they want to save money. But they said all i need is to get a vehicle and insure. But they told me they will pay for the maintenance of the truck and all.

Post Likes
    Yea im probably not as good at bluffing as other people thats why im still jobless but what do you mean i need to be desperate?

Post Likes
    No they said i would have to pay because i guess since im under 25 it will be more expensive to insure me and one ticket makes it go up, i guess they want to save money. But they said all i need is to get a vehicle and insure. But they told me they will pay for the maintenance of the truck and all.
    so they will give you a truck put it you name and you insure it...and they take care of the maintenance. Check with your insurance company ...if it works go for it ..get some more experience under your belt. drive clean until your licences clears up. then find another job..i don't like these guys....they are jerking you around... do they offer driving classes in your area when you complete them they knock off points.??

Post Likes
    Well i figured something out i called the dmv and they told me i only had two very little offences and they werent even on my driving record so i there is no readon why a insurance company would not insure me so... I dont know whats going on with this company

Post Likes
    i told you they were jerking you around..see what deal you can make and get settled, than start looking....i have a feeling they will drop you when they think they don't need you anymore.

Post Likes
    I think your only benefit is the reference and experience. It sound like they are low balling you, at your wage you are saving them tons of money already, i bet it's 80-100 an hour for a service company, just a guess, we are 80

Post Likes
    Yea i have a feeling about that too i was questioning them from the start i shouldve listened to my gut. But ill probably pass on this one why do i want to work for a company like that, lesson learned.

Post Likes
    Yea i have a feeling about that too i was questioning them from the start i shouldve listened to my gut. But ill probably pass on this one why do i want to work for a company like that, lesson learned.
    I would approach them with a deal that works for you and if they don't take it then you can choose from there what to do, if you need the work to eat then I guess stick it out if you can.

Post Likes
    Yea im probably not as good at bluffing as other people thats why im still jobless but what do you mean i need to be desperate?
    You need to somehow avoid giving them the impression that you are desperate. Don't act cocky, just quietly confident.

Post Likes
    Keep looking. Wasting valuable time here. They are going to help you. Played this game with them a few years back. We had the contract and they used a guy like yourself to try an get our price down. They will string you along and maybe work you for a month or 2 then dump you. Do no maint for 2 years then go back to whoever they were using before. And repeat cycle. That's why they want you to get your own stuff. Good luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Keep looking. Wasting valuable time here. They are going to help you. Played this game with them a few years back. We had the contract and they used a guy like yourself to try an get our price down. They will string you along and maybe work you for a month or 2 then dump you. Do no maint for 2 years then go back to whoever they were using before. And repeat cycle. That's why they want you to get your own stuff. Good luck.
    They are NOT going to help you. Sorry

Post Likes
    ATT is a tough account,mostly Bard units, the cell towers are hard to find, often located on remote areas, ATT nickle and dimes a lot. consider yourself lucky if the gig last more than a couple of months, The contract always has a disclaimer making it possible for ATT to get out without a reason, they wont even notify your employer when they want out, typically you drive all the way to the site to find another contractor doing the work, I wouldn't take the offer if I was you.

Post Likes
    Tell them to kiss your arse, you have no experience, they want you all on your own footing the bill for truck and insurance. 2 months and you will be jobless with a payment. Dude run, dont even call them back and waste your time

Disclaimer: your driving record better be clean... A couple minor tickets no biggie, but you have to have a good record for a company to be able to insure you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in