Hybrid View

Help, New Central Air unit, lots of water on pad outside. (pics)

Hey guys,

So purchased a new Carrier central air unit a month ago, about 2 weeks following noticed wasn't working properly so contractor came to service. Says needed to once again clean one of the lines and re-charge afterwards as went from old Freon to new refrigerant.

Since that service the unit on the outside "leaks" heavily on days were it's fairly warm, 28 celsius (82 fahrenheit) or over.

When I was replacing my old unit the sales rep educated me this was not good as the old unit was doing the same last summer and up to the change this summer.

So is this normal? here are some pics to see what I'm talking about. This day wasn't crazy hot, when warmer the entire pad is soaked.

Thanks in advance

Just to add, had a service call again today and was told this is normal and that the sales rep was not correct. I let him know that previously this was not occurring and my neighbor with a new Lennox does not have a similar issue. His response is that the units were not running efficiently in that case.

Don't know what to believe as I am not versed in HVAC and hope to get some insight.

Thanks again

Rocky

It's normal.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Is there a reason it seems so pronounced with my unit and not so much at my neighbors and his new unit?

Quote Originally Posted by rockybun View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Is there a reason it seems so pronounced with my unit and not so much at my neighbors and his new unit?
    Your neighbor's unit is either running a warmer return gas temperature and/or has less surface area that is below dew point. Your neighbor's unit may also not run as much due either to its size or the t-stat setting.

Thanks so much.

Appreciate it!