Thread: A short Air Handler anyone?

Post Likes

A short Air Handler anyone?

I need to replace an air handler that is a closet above a hot water heater. I have a height restriction of 42 inches. Can anyone recommend an air handler or fan coil that will fit? It should be at least 14 SEER. Also the 42 inches should include a filter base, if there is not a place for a filter.

Thanks Guys.

Post Likes
    If the return is through a louvered door in the closet, an American Standard or Trane GAF2 air handler, with the addition of the "front return kit", would be a good one.
    It would also allow the installation of an emergency drain pan under the unit, something usually disastrously lacking in the type of installation you have.

http://www.americanstandardair.com/p...spx?prod=ahd06

The same air handler, with the optional bottom return filter box specifically for the GAF2 air handler, would be right at 41 3/4" if you need to keep it set up as a bottom return.

Post Likes
    I found the specs for the GAF2 air handler. I really like the modular design, but I'll bet it is expensive. I have called Trane and can't seem to find anyone that can give me pricing. I have really been given the run around and have call at least 10 different numbers the Trane parts department has given me. Apparently there are two sales man in the South Texas area that can give prices. I have called both of them multiple times and only get their voice mail. I have never had this type of problem with HVAC distributors before.

The GAF2 air handler looks like a great product. I don't know how they sell any of them.

Post Likes
    Typically you would need to contact an HVAC contractor that is an American Standard or Trane dealer, or has access, which any contractor should.
    Not many HVAC equipment distributors sell direct to the public, at least not ones that also want licensed contractors to buy from them.

Post Likes
    I think aspen has one that matches a York outdoor unit to make 15 seer but the 2 ton model is the only match that is rated as a match

Post Likes
    Hey Mark, I consider myself to be an HVAC Professional. I've been doing it part time for 30 years now. I normally work in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, but have been trying spec out a system for a friends condo on South Texas. I expected to call the Trane distributor in South Texas and get pricing, etc., just like I have with the other major brands. They have all been able to find my account and give me the help I needed. Not so with Trane.

So I did call my local Trane distributor who was not able to find the GAF2 in the entire North Texas area. He said that he does not have visibility to the South Texas stores or inventory. And the numbers he gave me to call were no longer working. I found a distributor in Houston (Aces) that I have not been able to call yet. But it would appear that Trane is in pretty bad shape in the South Texas area. At this point, I don't think it is very likely that I will be able to find a GAF2 in Texas North or South). To bad because the GAF2A looks very impressive.

Hey jtrammel, I think I have check all of the major Brands, but have not tried Aspen yet. I don't have any experience with them. Have you been using them?

Post Likes
    Just a few times when customer wants high seer and has a wall hung unit

Post Likes
    I'll try to remember to check with Ace's tomorrow, they are the American Standard distributor I deal with.
    The GAF2 is a new product, and may not actually be fully rolled out yet.

What size are you needing?

Post Likes
    I was just looking at the Aspen Air Handlers. The wall mount AAW-SS would work, but the galvanized drain pan would not hold up in South Padre Island Texas. There is just to much salt there. Even the tap water there is salty.

Post Likes
    I did find a Goodman wall mount Air Handler (AWUF321016) when pair with a 32,000 BTU condensing unit and a TXV is certified at 14.5 SEER. And the best thing is that the South Texas (Harlington) Goodman distributor has them on stock. Another good thing is the price. They are half of the price the GAF2A was going to be.

The bad news is that it is pretty low tech. I was really hoping to find something that would yield a higher seer. Anyone else have any ideas?

Post Likes
    Heck, Aspen drain pans and coils don't last but a few years here in the DFW area of Texas, and no salt air is involved!

Post Likes
    Yep, copper coils and galvanized drain pan. Enough said.

I deal with Ace's in the Metroplex. They gave me an internet price on the SMAN3 manifold set. Great guys! I how have the phone number of the Ace's in Houston. I will call them in the morning. I believe they are in the South Texas Trane district, so maybe they can give me better information.

Post Likes
    I just checked the AHRI website. It looks like the GAF2A0A36M31+TDR will pair with a 2.5 ton Condensing unit, yielding 15.25 SEER. Apparently there is not a 2.5 ton GAF2; they jump from 2 to 3. It will be interesting to see what Ace's has to say tomorrow.

Post Likes
    The 36M31 has a constant torque ECM motor, so the system matchup gets about a 1 SEER boost over what it would be with a standard PSC blower motor.
    X13 motor, so a surge suppressor would be highly recommended.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in