Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Profit is not the difference between a company’s buying price and selling price. It is the amount that is left over after all of the company’s costs like salaries, lease payments, product costs, benefits, remodels, R & D, bonuses, etc are paid.

Profit is a very visible figure with publicly run companies. When that figure is very high, say with oil companies, the public gets very upset and claims gouging. The way to show reasonable profit to the public is to dump that money back into the company through expansion, bonuses, gross salaries, remodeling and a slew of other ways I am unaware of.

If Wal-Mart did not expand across the nation like a swarm of locusts, undoubtedly their profit would be through the roof. We would then not understand why they brow beat their suppliers. Hiding profit from view is the name of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Seems to me it is a bit arrogant to think a small business guy/gal has the right to tell a MEGA co how to run their business. Is there really FREEDOM in a country where this insanity rules?

On the 'buy the equipment online'... I could care less. Every now and then someone asks me... and I explain why it is not in their best interest to do so. Out of those, maybe 1 in 10 will buy online and go with the Craigs list guy... and then in a year or so they call me back to fix it. I end up with more $$$ for less work that way... <grin>
    I did not tell Wal-Mart how to run their business, especially in the post you quoted. It was about profit.

OTOH - I do have a right to my opinion of their business and whether to patronize it or not. You can hold them in high esteem if you wish. But to me, gross mark-up and watered down profits are not the whole picture. What do the women say: bigger is not always better.
    Repeatedly, I have posted why Walmart is so HUGE.... because customers choose to buy there. They have the freedom to buy wherever they want to... yet they go where the price is the cheapest. Yes, I know lots of folks who buy this or that at Walmert, yet other things at other places... mostly because of quality.

So tell me: Should the govt make Walmart sell at a higher price so they can pay more for products? Should the govt make Walmart pay more in wages so folks working there could make more? Should the govt raise trade tarriffs (a leading cause of why the depression of the 1930's lasted as long as it did), so US made products are competitive?

Obviously folks who believe these things either do not understand capitalism, or they think for some reason they are sooo important they are above the rules the rest of the world works from.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    Ok...sure.
    Why the attitude? What don't you agree with, and why?

You have made a lot of accusations based on what are primarily attack organization misinformation about Walmart. Are you seriously not interested in the truth? Do you seriously not mind being manipulated by these other organizations that are simply out to destroy a very successful company that is doing more for the U.S. economy than any political or labor organization is doing? Just where do your loyalties lie, and why?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Repeatedly, I have posted why Walmart is so HUGE.... because customers choose to buy there. They have the freedom to buy wherever they want to... yet they go where the price is the cheapest. Yes, I know lots of folks who buy this or that at Walmert, yet other things at other places... mostly because of quality.

So tell me: Should the govt make Walmart sell at a higher price so they can pay more for products? Should the govt make Walmart pay more in wages so folks working there could make more? Should the govt raise trade tarriffs (a leading cause of why the depression of the 1930's lasted as long as it did), so US made products are competitive?

Obviously folks who believe these things either do not understand capitalism, or they think for some reason they are sooo important they are above the rules the rest of the world works from.
    I agree that this late in the game there's not really anything we can do other than to stop shopping at Walmart...but if we continue to do nothing, you will one day be screaming for freedom once Walmart is the only place to shop.

So what do we do?

At some point...we have to take the bull by the horns, freedom or no freedom.

Would it seem right if the freedom you speak of, is the same freedom that causes this country to be taken over by a communist country that restricts freedom in every way possible?

Sure...you can shop at China...and in a hundred years you can ONLY shop at China.

So...do we restrict certain freedoms in order to keep other freedoms? Or do we stay completely free and end up completely enslaved?

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Why the attitude? What don't you agree with, and why?

You have made a lot of accusations based on what are primarily attack organization misinformation about Walmart. Are you seriously not interested in the truth? Do you seriously not mind being manipulated by these other organizations that are simply out to destroy a very successful company that is doing more for the U.S. economy than any political or labor organization is doing? Just where do your loyalties lie, and why?
    No...I agree with you...lets reduce corporate tax rates and pray that these companies do the right thing.

GM and GE are a couple of companies that chose not to do the right thing regardless of the amount of breaks we the tax payers have given them....but I'm game...let's try it.

The worst that will happen is that we will end up in the same boat we are in...short a few tax dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Text book answer

The simplest and most philosophical answer is this:

Profit-----> is the cost of doing business in the Future.
    Would you care to explain that? I'm curious what you mean.

I agree that this late in the game there's not really anything we can do other than to stop shopping at Walmart...but if we continue to do nothing, you will one day be screaming for freedom once Walmart is the only place to shop.

So what do we do?

Would it seem right if the freedom you speak of, is the same freedom that causes this country to be taken over by a communist country that restricts freedom in every way possible?

Sure...you can shop at China...and in a hundred years you can ONLY shop at China.

So...do we restrict certain freedoms in order to keep other freedoms? Or do we stay completely free and end up completely enslaved?
    your speaking about absolutes. In global economy there will always be a choice. Not even Wally World can be every where all the time. in fact I dare say they don't want to be in rural area's. there is no ROI.

Target is now in the grocery business. There is Costco and a few others. We still have Home depot and Lowes for hard ware and lets not forget Graingers
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

I don‘t believe the government should impede on Wal-Mart at all. That should be done by the people. If a community doesn’t want them, they shouldn’t be allowed to operate there, regardless of how they buy off City Councils.

The gov should only get involved when they violate laws such as anti-monopoly laws and bribery.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    You are complaining about the very essence of great business practice that all businesses strive to achieve.
    Don’t make such general statements. I and many others would feel guilty paying someone $65 for eight hours work while investing billions in expansion. So it is not my ideal business model. I have to sleep at night.

If another company beat out Wal-Mart prices by importing cheap Chinese labor on work visas to their stores would you hold them in higher regard? When should morals compete with legal capitalism? I say let the people decide. When they stay out, they should stay out...not buy people off.

If Wal-Mart was not so hell-bent on expansion they could pay their help more or offer token benfits. Instead they send them to the state for their benefits.

Would you care to explain that? I'm curious what you mean.

Pretty self-explanatory isn't it?

The Capitalist Risk-reward ratio is the only mechanism evolved by man that promotes economic activity. Without the reward of profits, economic development comes to a halt

Therefore, profit is what it costs to do business in the future.
    BEING AN ADULT

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Pretty self-explanatory isn't it?

The Capitalist Risk-reward ratio is the only mechanism evolved by man that promotes economic activity. Without the reward of profits, economic development comes to a halt

Therefore, profit is what it costs to do business in the future.
    How does that apply to city, state and federal jobs such as fire, police, city workers, politicians and the military that have NO profit?

Profit does not seem to be the end-all. Putting people to work, paying an honest wage and creating a working society has value too...to some.

How does that apply to city, state and federal jobs such as fire, police, city workers, politicians and the military that have NO profit?

Profit does not seem to be the end-all. Putting people to work, paying an honest wage and creating a working society has value too...to some.
    aaahhh, the "NON-profit dilemma" Without profits, there can be no "profit centers" with which to efficiently organize complex economic entities.(Government) Without a Profit center, middle management has no discretion to improve and grow. Business (Government) become stagnant.

profitability requires a reputation for ethical conduct. This is because profitability almost always depends on repeat and referral business. Personal reputation and brand name reputation remain among the most valued of assets.

Government is unburdened by profitability

Im going to quote an article which better states what I mean (I actually forgot where I found this, so I have no citation....sorry)
    No economic management decision-making process can succeed without the use of profits. For example, in the early 1970s, a Congressional Procurement Commission, after two years of concentrated analytical effort, utilizing the services of hundreds of experts, failed to come anywhere near a solution for government's "Middle Management Dilemma." Lacking profit and loss statements and meaningful sales charts for profitable goods and services, there is still no way for complex, nonprofit economic organizations to give middle management the discretion needed for efficient operation while maintaining control adequate to prevent abuses of discretion and to assure competent performance.
    Last edited by jmac00; 08-20-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: added content
    BEING AN ADULT

So what do we do?

You are now babbling incoherently. Take a few deep breaths and tell yourself that those bad people telling you bad things about Walmart cannot hurt you unless you let them hurt you. It's ok, you are just experiencing a meltdown that happens when liberals realize that they have been manipulated by extreme leftist, anti Americans.

No...I agree with you...lets reduce corporate tax rates and pray that these companies do the right thing.

GM and GE are a couple of companies that chose not to do the right thing regardless of the amount of breaks we the tax payers have given them....but I'm game...let's try it.

The worst that will happen is that we will end up in the same boat we are in...short a few tax dollars.
    The right thing for companies to do is to make money. That is the primary business of any business. Without being able to produce a profit, companies cannot and should not stay in business.....unless government intervenes with the failing company.

GM did not do the right thing. The labor unions refused to work with GM and GM sold out to the government. Now, between government and labor union influences, GM is being kept artificially afloat with taxpayer money. The labor unions and government made out, while GM stockholders and every American taxpayer got shafted. GE is another corporation that gets a lot of government contracts. Government has to funnel tax money into these large private corporations in order to keep them being able to pay off the labor unions who supported the Democrats for elections. Even Obamacare has a lot to do with labor unions. Obamacare will drastically reduce the amount of health coverage that labor unions are responsible for from making really bad deals with workers over the past several decades.

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast