Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    AND, since we are all bashing Wally worlds profits. ANYONE want to define what **profit ** is.
    Profit is not the difference between a company’s buying price and selling price. It is the amount that is left over after all of the company’s costs like salaries, lease payments, product costs, benefits, remodels, R & D, bonuses, etc are paid.

Profit is a very visible figure with publicly run companies. When that figure is very high, say with oil companies, the public gets very upset and claims gouging. The way to show reasonable profit to the public is to dump that money back into the company through expansion, bonuses, gross salaries, remodeling and a slew of other ways I am unaware of.

If Wal-Mart did not expand across the nation like a swarm of locusts, undoubtedly their profit would be through the roof. We would then not understand why they brow beat their suppliers. Hiding profit from view is the name of the game.

Robo,
    I have to ask. Since you seem to be in favor of people and companies doing whatever possible to lower a price and save money, are you in favor of your customers buying their HVAC equipment online to lower the cost of the overall job?

(Please do not bring up warranties, which can be written out of contracts)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Profit is not the difference between a company’s buying price and selling price. It is the amount that is left over after all of the company’s costs like salaries, lease payments, product costs, benefits, remodels, R & D, bonuses, etc are paid.

Profit is a very visible figure with publicly run companies. When that figure is very high, say with oil companies, the public gets very upset and claims gouging. The way to show reasonable profit to the public is to dump that money back into the company through expansion, bonuses, gross salaries, remodeling and a slew of other ways I am unaware of.

If Wal-Mart did not expand across the nation like a swarm of locusts, undoubtedly their profit would be through the roof. We would then not understand why they brow beat their suppliers. Hiding profit from view is the name of the game.
    Robo,
    I have to ask. Since you seem to be in favor of people and companies doing whatever possible to lower a price and save money, are you in favor of your customers buying their HVAC equipment online to lower the cost of the overall job?

Seems to me it is a bit arrogant to think a small business guy/gal has the right to tell a MEGA co how to run their business. Is there really FREEDOM in a country where this insanity rules?

On the 'buy the equipment online'... I could care less. Every now and then someone asks me... and I explain why it is not in their best interest to do so. Out of those, maybe 1 in 10 will buy online and go with the Craigs list guy... and then in a year or so they call me back to fix it. I end up with more $$$ for less work that way... <grin>
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Seems to me it is a bit arrogant to think a small business guy/gal has the right to tell a MEGA co how to run their business. Is there really FREEDOM in a country where this insanity rules?
    I did not tell Wal-Mart how to run their business, especially in the post you quoted. It was about profit.

OTOH - I do have a right to my opinion of their business and whether to patronize it or not. You can hold them in high esteem if you wish. But to me, gross mark-up and watered down profits are not the whole picture. What do the women say: bigger is not always better.

Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    Oh I never said people shouldn't shop at WalMart. I never said people shouldn't earn wages at WalMart--heck they almost work for free anyway. I believe the OP said that WalMart is such a marvelous company that they should be running the USA. My point which I think I made clearly is that if WalMart was running the USA, every last possible job that could be shipped to China would be shipped to China with the government's blessing. And, as you say, the purpose of every business is to make as much profit as possible, President WalMart would lower wages of all employees to $5/hour. If Americans refused to work for these wages they would get Chinamen to come here by the millions to work for even less. If you want to talk only about profits, then in your world I guess anything goes. WalMart would destroy the middle class and bring us a lot closer to China's standard of living while President WalMart would get even richer and more powerful.
    Maybe it would help if you read the statistics about Walmart I've posted to keep you from continuing your belief that what labor union paid websites claim is actually true.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by netsalt View Post
    If anyone thinks CEO pay would decrease if government "would just get out of the way" you are dreaming and deluded so I have no argument to counter that except to say history has disproved this multiple times.
    As far as shipping jobs overseas all one has to do is have an understanding of how the Walmart model works. Browbeat your suppliers until THEY are forced to ship the jobs overseas.
    I'm not saying that any of this is unlawful, but it is far from the model that should be offered up as a substitute for good government.
    So, if you won't give us reasons why you claim that getting government out of the way of businesses, how about showing some support that government's involvement with businesses is a good thing?

There's not much of a conversation if you can't back up anything you are claiming. Here is a list of yea's and nay's on the subject; http://debates.juggle.com/should-the...ing-businesses

You are complaining about the very essence of great business practice that all businesses strive to achieve. You are complaining about capitalism. You are complaining about the American dream.

What is it you want from Walmart? Have you ever read "Atlas Shrugged"? Just think of Walmart as Taggart Transcontinental Railroad or Rearden Steel. What you are complaining about Walmart were the same things that opponents of these Atlas Shrugged companies complained about them. Do you really want Walmart to go the way those companies were forced to go?

Robo,

If you are going to restrict what I can bring up, you need to define the parameters of the discussion better before I am going to get into a conversation in which you can manipulate anything I say.

Overall, I will say that all consumers should have the right to purchase products and services how they perceive those products and services to have the best value to them specifically. Since I don't sell any products, I don't even know if my opinion on this subject is even valid.

I did not tell Wal-Mart how to run their business, especially in the post you quoted. It was about profit.

OTOH - I do have a right to my opinion of their business and whether to patronize it or not. You can hold them in high esteem if you wish. But to me, gross mark-up and watered down profits are not the whole picture. What do the women say: bigger is not always better.
    This is what we are talking about. You have every right to patronize a company or not for whatever reasons you feel strongly about. So do I and so does the rest of the American people.

I don't even disagree with you that Walmart has a lot of products that I personally would not buy because of their lack of quality. I also agree that because of Walmart's fantastic business model, they do make a good profit margin, which they do reinvest into the company by expanding their operations. The amount of growth of a company is directly equated to the amount of profit that company earns. No profit, no growth.

When Walmart profits, there is more growth. When there is more growth, there are more jobs. When there are more jobs, unemployment goes down and the economy goes up.

So, While I don't very often shop at Walmart, I am glad to see that Walmart is doing so well that they are keeping over a million Americans working.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Im curious, How would Wal-Mart ship jobs over seas? They are a retail outlet, they don't make anything. The jobs being out sourced by American companies are Tech and manufacturing.

How would <could> Mal-Mart, or anyone for that matter, reduce wages without (literally) starting a civil war. Are they going to come along and simply tell everyone they are taking a 60% cut in pay without reducing the cost of living? what about the cost of products. What about people mortgages? How would reduce wages and NOT adjust peoples budgets to a similar level?

It's simply ludicrous to say "anyone" will reduce wages. It shows a complete lack of understanding of Macro-Economics

In a global economy a government can not change one thing and not have effect a whole bunch of other things down the line.

SO whats the answer? I don't have a clue. Americans want better paying jobs, we want a "living wage", in other countries, there citizens will work for food. Economics is a vicious circle, a never ending vicious circle.
    By shipping middle class manufacturing jobs to China aren't they effectively reducing wages? Aren't they always telling the employees, "Shut up and be happy with your $9/hour, or we will close up shop and ship your job to China where they will do it for 40 cents/hour." Aren't a lot of retailers (including WalMart) working their employees less than 40 hours so they don't have to pay medical benefits? IMHO this one-world-free-trade only beneifts the people at the top. What the middle class got was a lot of their jobs eliminated and the privledge of buying cheap Chinese garbage at WalMart that only last 6 months. What a deal for the middle class huh? And listen, I'm not a union guy. I was forced to join the union when I worked on U.S. merchant ships, but other than that, I've never belonged to a union.

Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    By shipping middle class manufacturing jobs to China aren't they effectively reducing wages? Aren't they always telling the employees, "Shut up and be happy with your $9/hour, or we will close up shop and ship your job to China where they will do it for 40 cents/hour." Aren't a lot of retailers (including WalMart) working their employees less than 40 hours so they don't have to pay medical benefits? IMHO this one-world-free-trade only beneifts the people at the top. What the middle class got was a lot of their jobs eliminated and the privledge of buying cheap Chinese garbage at WalMart that only last 6 months. What a deal for the middle class huh? And listen, I'm not a union guy. I was forced to join the union when I worked on U.S. merchant ships, but other than that, I've never belonged to a union.
    You are mixing metaphors here. Walmart has nothing to do with jobs overseas other than the retail jobs that Walmart employees oversees people for to work in their respective countries. Do you keep missing that Walmart employs over 1 million Americans in the U.S.?

In order for manufacturer's of goods to exist in the U.S., the U.S. government needs to reduce corporate taxes and regulations so that American manufacturing can compete with foreign manufacturing. It's not like we can buy everything made in the U.S. easily.

There are many products that are made in the U.S. that are of better quality than those made overseas, especially in China or Taiwan. It depends on what we are using the products for and what we expect from those products as to whether we pay a premium for U.S. manufactured product or pay a fraction of the cost for less quality Chinese product. It doesn't make sense for Harry or Harriet Homeowner who have retail and office jobs but like to hang their own curtain rods and change electrical outlet plates once in a while to be paying the amount of money you and I are willing to pay for quality tools.

Text book answer

The simplest and most philosophical answer is this:

Profit-----> is the cost of doing business in the Future.
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    You are mixing metaphors here. Walmart has nothing to do with jobs overseas other than the retail jobs that Walmart employees oversees people for to work in their respective countries. Do you keep missing that Walmart employs over 1 million Americans in the U.S.?

In order for manufacturer's of goods to exist in the U.S., the U.S. government needs to reduce corporate taxes and regulations so that American manufacturing can compete with foreign manufacturing. It's not like we can buy everything made in the U.S. easily.

There are many products that are made in the U.S. that are of better quality than those made overseas, especially in China or Taiwan. It depends on what we are using the products for and what we expect from those products as to whether we pay a premium for U.S. manufactured product or pay a fraction of the cost for less quality Chinese product. It doesn't make sense for Harry or Harriet Homeowner who have retail and office jobs but like to hang their own curtain rods and change electrical outlet plates once in a while to be paying the amount of money you and I are willing to pay for quality tools.
    Ok...sure.

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast