Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    You mean these stores that old news.
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/n...ay-orange.html
    These are different than the Neighborhood Markets. They are more like a throwback to the early Wal Mart stores. Like the one that closed in 1980 Store #3, down the street from where I live.

Here ya go Robin: More to come

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/200...mart_iowa.html

BTW, I used to have a report that compared crime rates in towns (not big cities) before and after Walmart came in. In most cases the net crime rate went up because the net wage went down and unemployment rate went up. It was a paper report and I can't keep everything so it got tossed.

Quote Originally Posted by AC5096 View Post
    These are different than the Neighborhood Markets. They are more like a throwback to the early Wal Mart stores. Like the one that closed in 1980 Store #3, down the street from where I live.
    Smaller than 42,000 square ft. Sounds like a neighborhood Sori Sori store.
    FEN

Quote Originally Posted by netsalt View Post
    Comparing small companies to these mega multinationals is an exercise in futility, capitalism for the small entities is a completely different animal. The large entities can buy governments including the politicians whereas I don't really have the funds right now to buy off a congressman, most people don't. Jobs are not coming back to the developed world - why should they? The last sentence sums up my way of preparing my family - expect less. The American dream will soon be dead and the spoils will go to the highest bidder (or the one with the highest profit margin) This is the future if we stick our heads in the sand and say "The Marketplace" will balance all - hasn't yet - but the naive mind of the right wing has drunk the koolaid and BELIEVES.
    The only reason that corporations can buy politicians is because of the way we have allowed government to interfere so much with businesses. That is the problem. We need to have government dwell a lot less on seperation of church and state and a lot more on seperation of business and state.

If we get government away from businesses and let businesses survive or fail on their own, both government and corporations will do better jobs.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    Here ya go Robin: More to come

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/200...mart_iowa.html

BTW, I used to have a report that compared crime rates in towns (not big cities) before and after Walmart came in. In most cases the net crime rate went up because the net wage went down and unemployment rate went up. It was a paper report and I can't keep everything so it got tossed.
    OMG! This is too funny! You actually dug up an editorial from a publication by the space man, Lyndon LaRouche. Do you have any idea how much of a wacko this man is? Lyndon LaRouche ran for president 8 different times, was sentenced to 15 years in prison for mail fraud and tax evasion and is essentially a major nutcase, conspiracy theorist of the worst degree.

Anyone who would quote anything from Lyndon LaRouche can not be in any way taken seriously.

Well, Walmart has tried and failed to put a store in Southern Lancaster county, PA for at least 10 years now. There are several Walmart stores in the rest of Lancaster county, but even though Walmart had purchased the land and paid for millions of dollars of road work and traffic lighting to be installed at the intersection where the Walmart store was planned to be built, locals of Southern Lancaster county (SOLANCO) were able to prevent Walmart from getting the necessary permits to do so.

The point is that when a Walmart is built, it is because the majority of people in the area wanted it to be built.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Well, Walmart has tried and failed to put a store in Southern Lancaster county, PA for at least 10 years now. There are several Walmart stores in the rest of Lancaster county, but even though Walmart had purchased the land and paid for millions of dollars of road work and traffic lighting to be installed at the intersection where the Walmart store was planned to be built, locals of Southern Lancaster county (SOLANCO) were able to prevent Walmart from getting the necessary permits to do so.

The point is that when a Walmart is built, it is because the majority of people in the area wanted it to be built.
    We have three Walmart buildings in our town...two are empty from where Walmart has moved across town. I don't know about Eastern PA....but if you are ever in Arkansas (the heart of Walmart), you can find this happening in many towns....Walmart comes in...builds up the area they want, stays for a while, then moves...leaving nothing but a huge plot of empty buildings behind...because you know the chains will follow the big blue giant. Walmart chases profit...and they will build a whole new store a mile down the road just to make a slightly larger profit.

Do you really think the majority of people in an area want this to happen? The answer is a big yes...everyone thinks the 24 hour superstore will be a great thing, they all think Walmart will improve the city with new roads and red lights, which Walmart does...until the store decides to move five miles down the road...and the town is left with nothing...you might get lucky and have someone use the old Walmart buildings as storage space or a call center...but usually not...you will have a ghost town left behind like something out of a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Hand raised!

I don't shop at Walmart, and I don't buy Chinese made goods unless there is no viable alternative.
    I hate WalMart too. If they ran the country, every last possible job would be shipped to China to increase their profits. The rich would only get richer. The middle class would disappear because they would have no jobs to buy ANY products at Wal Mart. Wal Mart would actually lower wages of the people who work there and get an exemption from the government (since they would be running it) to lower wages to closer to what the Chinese make. That way it would be "fair" for their Chinese workers. I hate to even step foot in there because I feel like I'm in China when I go there. I used to go to that one at Rufe Snow & I-820 all the time.

On the dillydap....

I dont care either way about walmart...... I wish some of the stores were still in town that got ran out of business by walmart, home cheapo, lowes, target, the big local food chains...... but...what can we do about it ???

Do you think boycotting walmart is going to bring back all those locally owned small stores......???

Nope...

One thing you need to do when condemning walmart is to go thru the store and take a look at all the goods they sell...... the non walmart branded goods. If you do this I am sure that you are going to see that most of them will have made in mexico and made in china on them.

The tools, the shoes and clothes....even the name brand clothes and goods. The electronics, the toys, the sporting goods....

Go to target or kohls or sears or any of the other big retailers and you are going to see the same stuff.... it might not be walmart branded chinese junk..... but it will be american corporation owned chinese junk.

Walmart exists not to serve the people but to serve the stockholders.... thats the whole purpose of walmart.....to make as much profit as it can to benefit its stockholders...... and all businesses are the same.

Even the old "made in the USA" marketing tactic is solely used to make more profit for the stockholders who could care less if an american made it or some 6 year old kid in some third world hell hole was worked to death to make it.

Walmart owes nothing to this country, its customers or its employees......
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    My question: Why do folks not want to clean up bad govt? Anyone have the guts to answer that question?
    Because most people are too blind to realize that both sides of the isle need fixing. We choose to watch polarized news which constantly blames the other side. By doing this they have neutered us from banding together against them.

The Right can’t fix the Left and won’t fix the Right. The Left can’t fix the Right and won’t fix the Left. So we come here to play their blame game and allow things to get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Because most people are too blind to realize that both sides of the isle need fixing. We choose to watch polarized news which constantly blames the other side. By doing this they have neutered us from banding together against them.

The Right can’t fix the Left and won’t fix the Right. The Left can’t fix the Right and won’t fix the Left. So we come here to play their blame game and allow things to get worse.
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    We have three Walmart buildings in our town...two are empty from where Walmart has moved across town. I don't know about Eastern PA....but if you are ever in Arkansas (the heart of Walmart), you can find this happening in many towns....Walmart comes in...builds up the area they want, stays for a while, then moves...leaving nothing but a huge plot of empty buildings behind...because you know the chains will follow the big blue giant. Walmart chases profit...and they will build a whole new store a mile down the road just to make a slightly larger profit.

Do you really think the majority of people in an area want this to happen? The answer is a big yes...everyone thinks the 24 hour superstore will be a great thing, they all think Walmart will improve the city with new roads and red lights, which Walmart does...until the store decides to move five miles down the road...and the town is left with nothing...you might get lucky and have someone use the old Walmart buildings as storage space or a call center...but usually not...you will have a ghost town left behind like something out of a movie.
    Once again, you are making a lot of noise with nothing to support your claims.

Walmart chases "profit"????? What in the world is a business supposed to chase if not profit? This is the essence of business, to chase profit. By chasing profit, businesses create jobs and build the economy of the areas they are profiting from. Profit cannot occur in a vacuum. If a business is making a profit, it is because that business is beneficial to the area it is profiting from.

Your unsupported commentaries and claims are coming directly out of publications from socialized labor unions and the Communist Manifesto. Think about that for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    I hate WalMart too. If they ran the country, every last possible job would be shipped to China to increase their profits. The rich would only get richer. The middle class would disappear because they would have no jobs to buy ANY products at Wal Mart. Wal Mart would actually lower wages of the people who work there and get an exemption from the government (since they would be running it) to lower wages to closer to what the Chinese make. That way it would be "fair" for their Chinese workers. I hate to even step foot in there because I feel like I'm in China when I go there. I used to go to that one at Rufe Snow & I-820 all the time.
    You are making it sound like we can purchase items not made in China everywhere but Walmart. That is absolutely not true. The same Chinese crap that Walmart is peddling is being sold in other stores at higher prices.

As for American jobs, Walmart is the largest retail employer of Americans in the U.S. Do we really want to be coming down on a company that is employing more Americans than any other company? Think about this; who is it that wants to destroy an American company that employs more Americans than any other company? Why would "you" want so many employed Americans to lose their jobs?

If you don't like Walmart, which I really don't much like shopping there myself, then do as I do and just don't go there. Why in the world do you all think you have some right to dictate to all of the people who like to shop at Walmart and all of the people who are earning wages at Walmart what they should be doing? What gives you the right to tell others what they should do?

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast