Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 417
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,090
    I am raising my hand as someone who deliberately pays more not to shop at that ****hole.
    I support local businesses whenever I can

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    The main reason I shop at Wal Mart is because there are very few if any other stores in my area since Wal-Mart came to town and those few stores that are left barely have anything on the shelf because they don't have the customer base to support buying product. I hate walking into Wal Mart....they very rarely if ever have what you need, and the workers are no help at all since they have very little if any knowledge about the product they are selling.

    My great grandmother had to ride a motorized cart through Wal Mart, it went dead on her in the middle of the store one time and workers refused to help her.

    I have to give Wal Mart credit for one thing...they sure know how to run a business to make a profit.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,864
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    The main reason I shop at Wal Mart is because there are very few if any other stores in my area since Wal-Mart came to town and those few stores that are left barely have anything on the shelf because they don't have the customer base to support buying product. I hate walking into Wal Mart....they very rarely if ever have what you need, and the workers are no help at all since they have very little if any knowledge about the product they are selling.

    My great grandmother had to ride a motorized cart through Wal Mart, it went dead on her in the middle of the store one time and workers refused to help her.

    I have to give Wal Mart credit for one thing...they sure know how to run a business to make a profit.
    Walmart is a big box discount store... like HD, Lowes, Target, etc... they are not there to help you, they are there for you to pick what you want and buy it. However:

    My experience with WallyWorld is kinda the opposite than yours: I have literally had a store employee follow me around the store for 1/2 hour helping me find things. And the dead battery in the cart... I have seen an employee push the person back to the charger many times. Around here Walmart employees are friendly and helpful. Now go into Costco... they are arrogant and lazy... go into Target... they give you an answer and walk away... Now go into Kroger and they will spend all day with you and even talk about local sports or whatever if you want... Kroger understands customer service and being friendly... and they are the largest grocery chain in the country (Walmart is a bigbox chain, not a grocery chain).

    Retail is what you make of it... go to the store you choose, yet IMO one should understand they will get what they pay for.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,253
    My hand is up too. I will buy a product from a local company long before Walmart. Actually I have never set foot in a Walmart and never will. Walmart wanted to come into our neighbourhood in Toronto and the good citizens kicked them out. I don't want to have to drive to the local store and this continent is full of fat people for a reason......Walmart is one of those reasons. Who here lives within walking distance of the Walmart.... not many, I'll bet.

    You reap what you sew.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,864
    When you live in a metro area with well over 5M people, and over 4000 sq/miles... nothing is within walking distance. One shops where they choose. Personally, I go to a variety of places... based on what I want/need to purchase. A normal weekend of shopping includes:
    H-mart: Korean grocery chain, GREAT produce at good prices... not much else I like.
    Kroger: general groceries.
    Walmart: general goods like paper towels, bath tissue, toothpaste, etc. And their clothes are a bargain.
    Other stores as needed... usually get HD and Lowes stuff when I go for stuff/work.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Losantiville
    Posts
    1,713
    Hand raised here. Walmart has a very profitable business model, I don't think many will argue that. As for the quality of goods let's just say they fit right in in our disposable society. What many do not realize is without the government programs most (not all) of their employees could not provide their families with reasonable housing, food, health care and transportation. I don't blame anyone for shopping Walmart since wage growth has failed to keep up for the past 30 years and they have no choice but to buy cheap goods just to try and maintain a decent life. The race to the bottom is well under way and any one government doesn't have the ability to control these corporate giants.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Hand raised!

    I don't shop at Walmart, and I don't buy Chinese made goods unless there is no viable alternative.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,864
    Here is a thought: Looking around us, we see an abundance of houses for sale and few buyers... and guess what: The price of houses is going DOWN. Just like the law of supply and demand says it works.

    Now consider this: If the govt did NOT subsidise the lives of folks... they would have to make choices as to how much house they could afford... rather than over-buy and hope they make it... only to get screwed with an economic downturn. What do you think they would do? Of course they would choose food and a cheaper place to live. Sooner or later, the more expensive places would sit empty long enough, and guess what happens next (read the first sentence of the post)... yes, the price will go DOWN.

    The reason folks working unskilled jobs cannot afford life is not because of the wages... it is because the govt has screwed up the economy sooo much nobody can live. Get the govt OUT of things, and the markets will balance things out. OR:

    We can continue on with the mess we have today.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    You really think the government has brought in all of the foreign goods?

    Perfect example....we have good Made in the USA goods...one store AkA Wal Mart brings in cheap foreign products, and everyone flocks to the store...what do the stores around Wal Mart do? They drop prices in order to compete...what happens when they drop prices? They must drop wages...what happens when wages drop? No one can afford anything but the cheap foreign goods sold at Wal Mart. The government tries to give a boost to the american people by raising wages so that they can afford better products...and in return the good ol USA store gets screwed worse because the cheap goods are still there.

  10. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    Walmart may be rich, but they're morally bankrupt.
    All the issues with minorities and women getting shafted with pay and benefits - very unethical.
    Then there's the union-busting. I'm by no means pro-union, but I support the right to organize if it's by choice. As soon as 2 different stores were organized here in Canada (one in Saskatchewan, one in Quebec) Walmart closed the doors the next month.
    I find it crazy that these hardcore "republicans" can support Walmart sinc they are THE source of source of the Chinese garbage products on our continent and are responsible for more small businesses closing than the recession.
    There is nothing good about that company. I've been boycotting the place for years, and encourage everyone else to do so.
    Then maybe you should write a nice little letter to Calpers or the Indiana UNION PENSION fund who own stock in Wally World,as part of their pension investsments that they as well as others should sell their stock. Let us know how that works out for you.
    FEN

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,864
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    You really think the government has brought in all of the foreign goods?

    Perfect example....we have good Made in the USA goods...one store AkA Wal Mart brings in cheap foreign products, and everyone flocks to the store...what do the stores around Wal Mart do? They drop prices in order to compete...what happens when they drop prices? They must drop wages...what happens when wages drop? No one can afford anything but the cheap foreign goods sold at Wal Mart. The government tries to give a boost to the american people by raising wages so that they can afford better products...and in return the good ol USA store gets screwed worse because the cheap goods are still there.
    Who said anything about the govt bringing in the goods... it is simple economics: Lets talk about flat screen TV's: You can go to BestBuy and buy whatever quality you want, with the expert sales help and support you get at BestBuy... and pay more. Now if the public does not care about what BestBuy offers... all they want is price (and quality, support, etc are not even thought of)... then Walmart wins the sale.

    Now lets talk about lawnmowers: If the public wants a Honda lawnmower (I think they are made in the USA), they will pay for it. If the public only wants a 'cheap one' and Walmart can build one in China, ship it here, and sell it at a profit (Wlamart, like the local mom/pop, will not stay in business long if they do not make a profit), well who gets the sale for the guy who only wants cheap.

    NO, we as consumers have done it to ourselves.

    And when the govt passes a law raising the minimum wage... all they are in reality doing is supporting the destruction of American jobs.

    Quit taking govt handouts, get the govt out of managing the economy... live without sucking at the govt teet, and guess what: The cost of goods will reflect their value as well as the consumer's ability to pay... rather than their subsidized cost.

    We believe the lie the govt cares about us... a small amount of research will prove the lie is just that... a LIE. The ONLY thing an elected official cares about is their career... and they will say/do ANYTHING to forward it... including deceitfully using the citizens to attain their goals.

    AS I keep saying: NEVER trust a politician, NEVER.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    As Quebec politicians debate whether the province's public pension manager should intervene to protect homegrown companies, its federal counterpart says playing with politics risks undermining its primary purpose — maximizing investment returns for millions of Canadians.

    The CPP Investment Board's president said Friday there's no place for public policy in the fund manager's mandate and that its independence from both provincial and federal governments is one of its greatest strengths.

    "We're not here as an arm of public policy, we have the benefit of having a very clear purpose, which is to try and maximize the risk-weighted returns in the long-run for our beneficiaries," he said.
    http://www.canada.com/business/all/I...870/story.html

    Which is all well and fine but if you do not invest in your own back yard who is to blame when your kids can not get work?
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,296
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Who said anything about the govt bringing in the goods... it is simple economics: Lets talk about flat screen TV's: You can go to BestBuy and buy whatever quality you want, with the expert sales help and support you get at BestBuy... and pay more. Now if the public does not care about what BestBuy offers... all they want is price (and quality, support, etc are not even thought of)... then Walmart wins the sale.

    Now lets talk about lawnmowers: If the public wants a Honda lawnmower (I think they are made in the USA), they will pay for it. If the public only wants a 'cheap one' and Walmart can build one in China, ship it here, and sell it at a profit (Wlamart, like the local mom/pop, will not stay in business long if they do not make a profit), well who gets the sale for the guy who only wants cheap.

    NO, we as consumers have done it to ourselves.

    And when the govt passes a law raising the minimum wage... all they are in reality doing is supporting the destruction of American jobs.

    Quit taking govt handouts, get the govt out of managing the economy... live without sucking at the govt teet, and guess what: The cost of goods will reflect their value as well as the consumer's ability to pay... rather than their subsidized cost.

    We believe the lie the govt cares about us... a small amount of research will prove the lie is just that... a LIE. The ONLY thing an elected official cares about is their career... and they will say/do ANYTHING to forward it... including deceitfully using the citizens to attain their goals.

    AS I keep saying: NEVER trust a politician, NEVER.
    Then maybe the Fed should never change the interest rate?

    What Wal Mart does is similar to what a thief does when he approaches you in a parking lot and offers to sell you a stolen tool for 80% off. Some have the integrity to pass on the good price and not support the black market. Others play ignorant about where the tool came from and buy it, saying "its just supply and demand" or "it's all I can afford" or "what a good deal".

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event